MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #901 of 2,843
The current trend, especially with these two hp's, is that they are more efficient and easier to amp than the hp of old (looking at you he6). With both of these, Ether and he1000, you can even have a nice listening experience from good portable sources. 

That being said, both amps scale nice with better amps with power. Times they are changing...

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #902 of 2,843
I must admit, it would be nice if the Ether turns out to really give the HE1000 a run for the money. I find the price of the 1000 just too high and in general above $2000 for any headphone is tough for me to justify as I would rather spend an extra 2K on speakers and have say a 5K set of speakers and something like an HE560 or an Ether. Looking forward to more comparisons for sure. The Ether is certainly on my radar for my next open headphone.

100% agree, $2K is also my limit.
Actually, IMO all the so called highend HPs that are still somewhat reasonably priced are under $1500: hd800, he6, he560, primes, BD T1, etc. $1K is already a pretty serious psychological barrier for me ... as anyone with a reasonably good job in a western country I can afford to pay that much, but I just don't feel that I'm getting my money's worth.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #903 of 2,843
100% agree, $2K is also my limit.
Actually, IMO all the so called highend HPs that are still somewhat reasonably priced are under $1500: hd800, he6, he560, primes, BD T1, etc. $1K is already a pretty serious psychological barrier for me ... as anyone with a reasonably good job in a western country I can afford to pay that much, but I just don't feel that I'm getting my money's worth.

Diminishing returns really start to hit home above the 1K mark for sure, at least in my limited experience.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #905 of 2,843
Diminishing returns really start to hit home above the 1K mark for sure, at least in my limited experience.

I'd say they already start to hit quite hard above HD6x0. Still, there are at least a few reasonable deals in the $500-1000 area.
Anyway, enough about that.

Any new comparisons with the very interesting Ethers?

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #906 of 2,843
I get that they're super comfortable and the pads don't look as cavernous as the Alpha Pads I put on my SZ2000. But can the pads be comfortable and not exceedingly hot for long sessions in the summer? I don't know what type of leather is used for the Ether but the Alpha Pads gets super hot even in the winter.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #907 of 2,843
Received the sad news the other day that these won't be available at my dealer's shop in the UK for audition.

It makes my future decisions easier I guess..

Anyone know of anyone in the UK that will have these to audition?

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #908 of 2,843
They'll be at CanJam in August.  That's where I'll be listening to them along with the HE-1000.  Now that Dan has stepped it up a level with his very own design (and higher price point), I do think it's worth looking at improving distribution & availability of the Ether. I would guess for most people we are getting well above the blind purchase price point comfort zone here.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #913 of 2,843

Users who are viewing this thread

Back