Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,491 of 8,051

I find the LCD-2's treble extension lacking, for a better word and not going into too many details.
I wonder how much there's unit variation, as there's reports of of opposite, 2, etc., a you're implying otherwise?

Depends on Fazor or not... I would agree the LCD2 Non-Fazored lacks treble extension, but the fazored version corrects that issue IMO.

I had both non-fazored and fazored together and found the fazored one was better (although my fazored was also latest 2016 revision drivers, so that too.)

LCD2's problem is not only of unit variations perhaps, but also the sheer number of revisions they released, making it a headphone somewhat hard to comment conclusively on.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,492 of 8,051
  Gotta love the slagging on Z's reviews as if DMS3's reviews are the epitome of headphone analysis. Different styles, people. This isn't Highlander, where "there can be only one!"

I do wish that Z provided a bit more technical analysis, but at the same time I wish DMS3 provided more references to specfic music genres and songs (which Z does). I find that Z makes more comparisons to other phones (and a wider range of phones) than DMS3, although that is likely due to Z being around longer so there is a larger stable of reviews and experience to draw from.

Z's reviews lean more towards being entertaining, whereas DMS3 is very dry and straight to the point. Vastly different approaches and delivery that will appeal to different personality types. Each have their place and at the end of the day more points of opinion and review are always better.

I will continue to watch and enjoy reviews from both parties.

Yeah, I agree, and they seem to have very different preferences. Z loves a bright, sparkly signature (X2s, AT variations, Beyer 1990). DSM prefers a warmer signature. Having the two of them gives folks the opportunity to see which reviewer fits their own sound sig preferences and then trust that guy. My own preferences align almost perfectly with DMS3's. But Z makes for good entertainment, and he does provide some useful info if you sift through the banter.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,493 of 8,051
Hello everyone, for anyone who has the 1060s and the Fidelio X2, how do they compare?

They don't. M1060s are in a different league (at least to my ears). I had both for a couple of weeks. X2's had exaggerated bass and, worse, exaggerated, grainy, annoying highs. Found them fatiguing. And a huge, artificial soundstage. M1060s are much warmer, without losing any detail. Imaging is amazing. Not as much soundstage but a more realistic and natural presentation. Also, although people rave about X2 comfort, I found them a bit heavy and clampy. M1060s with stock pads are super comfortable. 

The M1060s also kick my new Beyer DT1990s to the curb at half the price, FWIW.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #2,494 of 8,051

I covered the enclosure behind the grill where the black foam used to be. cskippy covered a bit less surface area on his.

Same here.  No Foam.  Just paper towel.  cskippy is right about the reflections off the backside of the grill if there's nothing at all.  Paper towel seems the best so far.  I'd like to try some black fabric instead, once I find some laying around.  

As I related, I don't have the headphones in hand to look.. Mechanically, how do you hold the towel in place?  Is it critical to have it stretched tightly?

Thanks for the pictures, BTW

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,496 of 8,051
As I related, I don't have the headphones in hand to look.. Mechanically, how do you hold the towel in place?  Is it critical to have it stretched tightly?

It's just sandwiched between the grill and the wood. Then the grills are screwed back on through the paper towel. You have to cut it out pretty precisely. Too big and the paper will stick out. Too small and the screws won't be able to hold it. I just traced the grill and then cut inside my trace line. I don't think it matters if it's tight. I just wanted it to look decent.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,497 of 8,051
  Depends on Fazor or not... I would agree the LCD2 Non-Fazored lacks treble extension, but the fazored version corrects that issue IMO.

I had both non-fazored and fazored together and found the fazored one was better (although my fazored was also latest 2016 revision drivers, so that too.)

LCD2's problem is not only of unit variations perhaps, but also the sheer number of revisions they released, making it a headphone somewhat hard to comment conclusively on.

Meant even the 2016 driver LCD-2, even though I'm quite sensitive to treble, the sparkle was missing nonetheless, when I've heard it.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,498 of 8,051

It's just sandwiched between the grill and the wood. Then the grills are screwed back on through the paper towel. You have to cut it out pretty precisely. Too big and the paper will stick out. Too small and the screws won't be able to hold it. I just traced the grill and then cut inside my trace line. I don't think it matters if it's tight. I just wanted it to look decent.

Got it. Thanks. Now the wait until I can actually play with them...and get a good listen.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #2,501 of 8,051
They don't. M1060s are in a different league (at least to my ears). I had both for a couple of weeks. X2's had exaggerated bass and, worse, exaggerated, grainy, annoying highs. Found them fatiguing. And a huge, artificial soundstage. M1060s are much warmer, without losing any detail. Imaging is amazing. Not as much soundstage but a more realistic and natural presentation. Also, although people rave about X2 comfort, I found them a bit heavy and clampy. M1060s with stock pads are super comfortable. 

The M1060s also kick my new Beyer DT1990s to the curb at half the price, FWIW.

Is that the hype talking? :wink:

Sucks. My budget was $250 and the X2s seemed prefect, since I didn't need an amp either. Anything you can recommend?

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,502 of 8,051
Is that the hype talking?
wink.gif

Sucks. My budget was $250 and the X2s seemed prefect, since I didn't need an amp either. Anything you can recommend?

Save for the 1060's then. It's well worth it. And you don't 'really' need an amp for them either. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,503 of 8,051
Is that the hype talking?
wink.gif

Not hype -- had them both and just tested to see which I liked more. The loser got sold. Been doing that for a few months with various models. You might also try the K7XXs ($199), but I find them super muddy and boring. They got booted by the M1060s as well. 

Look, it depends what you like. If you like a lot of treble along with a big fat bass rumble (and you don't care too much about accuracy), the X2s might be the cans for you. If you prefer something more neutral and warm and detailed, then the M1060s are likely to fit the bill. To me, it's a no-brainer to save up $50 more for the M1060s.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,504 of 8,051
Not hype -- had them both and just tested to see which I liked more. The loser got sold. Been doing that for a few months with various models. You might also try the K7XXs ($199), but I find them super muddy and boring. They got booted by the M1060s as well. 

Look, it depends what you like. If you like a lot of treble along with a big fat bass rumble (and you don't care too much about accuracy), the X2s might be the cans for you. If you prefer something more neutral and warm and detailed, then the M1060s are likely to fit the bill. To me, it's a no-brainer to save up $50 more for the M1060s.

Don't I need an amp for them?

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #2,505 of 8,051

Save for the 1060's then. It's well worth it. And you don't 'really' need an amp for them either. 

Yeah. they are only slightly more difficult to drive than the X2s. My phone drives the M1060s without a problem (although they will definitely be better with an amp, but so will the X2s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back