Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 1, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #2,476 of 8,051
  You still haven't tried them?  Your still a pad virgin...try my mods...you'll be happy!  
dt880smile.png

It's the principle. I know I'm getting ripped off getting those pads, but I have no other similar, cheaper options.

Same reasoning applies owning the M1060 instead of the LCD2 itself.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,477 of 8,051
With the money you saved, buy them from Adorama for $62 and enjoy your knock off LCD 3!  Think of pads as the room you're listening to speakers in.  They have the biggest effect on sound signature besides changing transducers.  

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,479 of 8,051
Oh, you already have the paper towel in there? You're going to be in for a pleasant surprise, especially if you use these for gaming.  

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,480 of 8,051
  Oh, you already have the paper towel in there? You're going to be in for a pleasant surprise, especially if you use these for gaming.  

Yep. I'm all for telling everyone it is a requirement to replace the stock foams with paper towel. It is a noticeable improvement even without Audeze Pads. There are measurements backing this up, and many people are in agreement that it really helps the sound.

So, so good. I really liked them before, especially for their bass response with EQ, but the paper towel mod really makes them better. Love these now.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,481 of 8,051

Maybe I am just dense... Also I don't have a pair yet to take apart. Likely will pick up a set when they are back in stock.
Where it the paper towel going.. under the outside grill? Between the pads and drivers?

Pictures would be good... and yes, I have searched and read about 70% of the posts...

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,483 of 8,051

Maybe I am just dense... Also I don't have a pair yet to take apart. Likely will pick up a set when they are back in stock.
Where it the paper towel going.. under the outside grill? Between the pads and drivers?

Pictures would be good... and yes, I have searched and read about 70% of the posts...

I covered the enclosure behind the grill where the black foam used to be. cskippy covered a bit less surface area on his.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,484 of 8,051
has anybody tried these with vegans and no foam on the back of the driver? i find sound quite nice this way and i think i gives soundstage. It could be my brain playing tricks with me tho.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #2,485 of 8,051
If you want to run no foam in back keep the grills off too. The foam provides some mechanical damping and reduces reflections from the grill. Removing it but keeping the grills on isn't ideal IMO.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,486 of 8,051

I covered the enclosure behind the grill where the black foam used to be. cskippy covered a bit less surface area on his.

Same here.  No Foam.  Just paper towel.  cskippy is right about the reflections off the backside of the grill if there's nothing at all.  Paper towel seems the best so far.  I'd like to try some black fabric instead, once I find some laying around.  

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #2,487 of 8,051
  I didn't a/b the two, however the modded 1060 is excellent.

Probably a little more smooth and less extension in the highs as the LCD-2F but very good and which you prefer is likely more a matter of preference and taste than simply quality.

FWIW I did not find the stock 1060 very comfortable (headband pressure), but once I got the Audeze pads on them, comfort improved.

I find the LCD-2's treble extension lacking, for a better word and not going into too many details.
I wonder how much there's unit variation, as there's reports of of opposite, 2, etc., a you're implying otherwise?

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,488 of 8,051
Gotta love the slagging on Z's reviews as if DMS3's reviews are the epitome of headphone analysis. Different styles, people. This isn't Highlander, where "there can be only one!"

I do wish that Z provided a bit more technical analysis, but at the same time I wish DMS3 provided more references to specfic music genres and songs (which Z does). I find that Z makes more comparisons to other phones (and a wider range of phones) than DMS3, although that is likely due to Z being around longer so there is a larger stable of reviews and experience to draw from.

Z's reviews lean more towards being entertaining, whereas DMS3 is very dry and straight to the point. Vastly different approaches and delivery that will appeal to different personality types. Each have their place and at the end of the day more points of opinion and review are always better.

I will continue to watch and enjoy reviews from both parties.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,490 of 8,051
Gotta love the slagging on Z's reviews as if DMS3's reviews are the epitome of headphone analysis. Different styles, people. This isn't Highlander, where "there can be only one!"

I do wish that Z provided a bit more technical analysis, but at the same time I wish DMS3 provided more references to specfic music genres and songs (which Z does). I find that Z makes more comparisons to other phones (and a wider range of phones) than DMS3, although that is likely due to Z being around longer so there is a larger stable of reviews and experience to draw from.

Z's reviews lean more towards being entertaining, whereas DMS3 is very dry and straight to the point. Vastly different approaches and delivery that will appeal to different personality types. Each have their place and at the end of the day more points of opinion and review are always better.

I will continue to watch and enjoy reviews from both parties.

Agreed. I like DMS' production but I don't feel like I find out a lot about the headphones from his reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back