Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 9, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,861 of 8,051
  Got my new MMCX litz cable today, massive improvement over the stock cable. The connectors are very solid and have quite a bit of pulling force to take them out. I had the cable terminated in 4 pin XLR, testing these cans out balanced w/ my Cavalli liquid carbon and Onkyo DAP. Will report back in a few days. 

P.S. working on a sweet little mod for these. It'll be up on thingiverse soon 
o2smile.gif

very nice sir, keep us posted

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,862 of 8,051
  Got my new MMCX litz cable today, massive improvement over the stock cable. The connectors are very solid and have quite a bit of pulling force to take them out. I had the cable terminated in 4 pin XLR, testing these cans out balanced w/ my Cavalli liquid carbon and Onkyo DAP. Will report back in a few days. 

It'll be up on thingiverse soon 
o2smile.gif

Where did you get the cable from?  And what's thingiverse?  Thanks!

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,866 of 8,051
  @Ceteru There are many great IEMs that go a lot further for your money as a portable option. 

I was thinking about that option; I was eyeing the Audeze iSines for example.

Any suggestions for an IEM with a similar sound to the M1060s, or at least the LCD-2? Lol I'm sure the first one isn't possible yet, since it's so new (and of course the difference between full-size cans and IEMS).

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,867 of 8,051
I don't have much experience with IEMs.  I've used SE215, Carbo Tenore, 64 Audio U8, HEM4, and Andromeda.  U8 is probably close to what you want.  Great bass, better mids than M1060, and highs are laid back.  Of course iSine might make sense as the Audeze house sound should translate to those as well.  

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,868 of 8,051
  Oh 3D printing, nice!  Can anyone recommend a good one for the money.  I've been meaning to get into that for modding and such.

Bit off topic, but be sure to do your research with 3D printers!  Especially if you are just starting out.  They are nothing like regular paper printers is what I can say.

Lots of good printers at different price points.  Ultimaker 2, Prusa i3 MK2, Monoprice Maker Select.  I'd shoot for the Prusa i3 MK2 if you can, but there's a bit of a lead time on that one.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #1,869 of 8,051
Thanks!  Like all good things you get what you pay for.  I know other limitations are proprietary software restrictions with certain machines.  I'll check out the ones you've mentioned.  

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #1,870 of 8,051
  I don't have much experience with IEMs.  I've used SE215, Carbo Tenore, 64 Audio U8, HEM4, and Andromeda.  U8 is probably close to what you want.  Great bass, better mids than M1060, and highs are laid back.  Of course iSine might make sense as the Audeze house sound should translate to those as well.  

Lol my soul hurt a bit when I saw the MSRP of those U8s 
tongue.gif
 Coming from a family of simple means, seeing prices like that for such small things still makes me wince sometimes.

Needless to say, that's way outside of my price range for now. The Audeze are more doable, but still something I'll have to save up for.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anyone else in the thread feel free to chime in with suggestions, I'm all ears 
biggrin.gif

Back on topic, both the M560 and M1060 are real jimmy-rustlers (the M1060s more so though), swooping out of nowhere and delivering top-tier sound for mid-tier price; hopefully that starts a trend in the entirety of the Hi-Fi world. Once the build issues get sorted out, the M1060 might even become my 4th set, although I'd like to audition it first (I'm pretty cautious about purchases).

I find it pretty funny how everybody got all hyped about the cans that nobody had heard yet, and the hype was actually real!

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,871 of 8,051
One more track I've just gotta post. This sounds awesome on the 1060's. Love this bass, these headphones can slam! and at 2:00 
basshead.gif
 (and at the end it will scare you lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e153qA-qWbI

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #1,872 of 8,051
You know a headphone is good when it can switch genres flawlessly. I just finished Gojira - Silvera. Crisp, clear sound with just the right amount of bass kick. Not overdone.

Next up I threw on some Rick Ross for fun. Deeeeep bass slam from my balanced amp and near 1W going to the M1060. Yes, these are the real deal.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,874 of 8,051
Unfortunately I'm having connector trouble (R side) like many of you, and was wondering what kind of remedies Monoprice has offered you - replacement, repair, etc?  

I've been waiting over a day to hear back from their tech support, which I'm guessing is normal? 

Otherwise really enjoying these 1060's. So much so that this issue hasn't affected my appreciation for them in the least. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,875 of 8,051
  * Do at your own risk * you can take a pair of small tweezers and gently crimp the female pin connector inside the jack on the cup. If done right, it makes it firmly grip the male signal pin in the cable and should stop the cut-out. As I said though, do at your own risk, I don't want you blaming me if you squeeze too hard and crush the connector to the point it won't work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back