Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 9, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,848 of 8,051
I wished monoprice made their M1060 like Tidal force's clone, instead of using Wood. Which would had helped stop alot of these QC issues with the cracking. I wonder if Tidal is also using the MMCX connections for their clones. Also it be something if the earpads are not glued on.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,850 of 8,051
I just pulled the trigger on amazon at 349.99
Although it was cheaper because i just applied to get their CC so they knocked $70 off my order.
Will post thoughts as soon as I have them in my hands (ears?) !

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,851 of 8,051

Yup thanks to your post I got a pair.

Bought them before the price was raised too. Luckily I'm nearby to where they ship from, so hopefully I'll have them soon. Thanks for the link!

Great! I live in Brooklyn, I think they ship from NJ. They sent me a Fedex tracking number so assuming they are coming from NJ, it should take a couple days to come to my house. Most of the time I prefer USPS since practically all packages come in a couple days, whereas Fedex can take a week in my experience. Edit: Looks like they are coming tomorrow. Excited!

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,854 of 8,051
  Lower price planar magnetic headphones seem to be in fashion. Just read an article about these from a New Jersey outfit named Tidal Force. Launching a Wave 5 planar in April, taking pre-orders now. 

http://tidalforceproducts.com/shop/

By the way, I'm in the UK and have no connection with them at all. Read about it on Flipboard. 
smile_phones.gif

One of the things I've learned after years of finding Chinese OEMs, if a company in NJ is selling them, a Chinese vendor is selling the same thing for half the price elsewhere, especially in China.

For example, "Soniq SH-900" = $149
Somic EFI82MT = $40 and 3 years old.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/somic-efi82mt

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,856 of 8,051
  TidalForce also shows this headphone when they ask u to sign up for email notifications. Maybe its their clone of the mm1060

This model's so ugly even if they don't crack or **** I'd still take 1060 over them any day regardless of sound.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,857 of 8,051
If their other model is any indication these M1060 clones are probably going to be $500. A $200 increase seems in line when the existing M560 already had awesome build quality and the clones are $100 more than the Monoprice version. IMO, a $200 jump is getting really close to on sale LCD-2 territory. Time will tell, however, how these clones will stack up. I'm curious but not really interested as these take the bargain out of the equation. There is some pretty stiff competition with that large of price jumps.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,858 of 8,051
I used the following tracks to test the bass among other traits of the M1060...It was to me a magical experience.
tongue_smile.gif

Weeknd-Earned it. THis track is a great way to test vocals and decay as the bass here tends to linger longer than it should on most headphone but the M1060 gives it crispness and the clarity makes jamming out to this track wonderful.

Infected Mushroom-Nutmeg. This track simply put is a tour de force lots of complex passages with fast layered bass which demands: high clarity,slam,speed,details and the ability to render high-notes all without being harsh. Its a absolutely crazy track and a great track if your into electronic music but want something that's heavy this is my go to test track as of late.

Ticon-Behind the Wall. This track has a very smooth and melodic bass line that often sound flabby and it has an amazing build up but with the right gear this track is a layered work of art, a great track and equally amazing album for psytrance/electronic lovers.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #1,859 of 8,051
Got my new MMCX litz cable today, massive improvement over the stock cable. The connectors are very solid and have quite a bit of pulling force to take them out. I had the cable terminated in 4 pin XLR, testing these cans out balanced w/ my Cavalli liquid carbon and Onkyo DAP. Will report back in a few days. 

P.S. working on a sweet little mod for these. It'll be up on thingiverse soon 
o2smile.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,860 of 8,051
Martinrm, greetings, and nice photos.

Do you have a link to where one could source those cables?
The connectors going into the earcups look better than any I've seen on photos.

I haven't got my M1060's yet but have previously twice ordered MMCX cables for some Onkyo 'phones, and both cables were so bad as to be unusable.

Many thanks, and very glad that you're happily enjoying your new headphones!

Be well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back