Mixmaster mikes vs Beats pro vs soul Sl300 vs beats studio vs beats solo hd vs beats mixr
Aug 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #92 of 116
Not to jump into life-lesson advice mode too heavily (and despite feeling ill right now (it's unrelated to anything here or on the forums in general - don't worry), it's kind of re-assuring and "feel good"-ing to see other people so willing to do the same), but:

The whole notion of "cool" and "looking good" is a state of mind, not a matter of your gear or schwag. You can rock flippers and coke bottle glasses and still be "cool" as long as you have the charisma and self-confidence to pull it off (and recognize that self-confidence is not the same as being a jerk). Or you can buy all of the "right stuff" and still be bowling alone every Friday night. It's more of a "from within" thing - I know this is a dorky example, but look at Billy Madison, specifically the scene where they're at the farm. You can really turn anything into "cool" if that's what you want to do. But having said that, you're at an awkward age, and not a whole lot can be helped about that (except simple time). Perhaps one of the best pieces of advice I was given at a young age was: "a gentleman does not bow to trends."

I think, in a broader scheme, buying a headphone simply based on looks is probably a losing proposition. You'll make a lot of compromises to buy something that's "popular for being popular" instead of getting something that adequately addresses your needs and/or wants (and is probably less expensive), that you can just as easily rock as "cool" if you want to. Not to mention, if you own something that's not "hip" it's less likely to be a target for theft (like Apple's "Mug-Me White").

Just my .02 on the whole thing.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #93 of 116
i wish the OP lives in our country, if one wears a shiny, very attractive, accessory like beats, either one of these three things will happen

1. pickpocketers will come to them and get something worth inside his bag or pocket
2. muggers will mug him went to a non-crowded place
3. get lucky for the day unharmed

(heck, even ibuds because they know that there is an either an ipod or an iphone inside their pockets)

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #94 of 116
Quote:
cuz i like being cool

I can't even begin to tell how what you just said is desperately uncool.  If you really are a fan of being cool, then you might want to invest a little time and energy into figuring out what cool really is.  And if you think headphones - ANY headphones - will make you cool, you're just plain wrong (not bad or anything, just wrong).

Quote:
Not to jump into life-lesson advice mode too heavily (and despite feeling ill right now (it's unrelated to anything here or on the forums in general - don't worry), it's kind of re-assuring and "feel good"-ing to see other people so willing to do the same), but:
The whole notion of "cool" and "looking good" is a state of mind, not a matter of your gear or schwag. You can rock flippers and coke bottle glasses and still be "cool" as long as you have the charisma and self-confidence to pull it off (and recognize that self-confidence is not the same as being a jerk). Or you can buy all of the "right stuff" and still be bowling alone every Friday night. It's more of a "from within" thing - I know this is a dorky example, but look at Billy Madison, specifically the scene where they're at the farm. You can really turn anything into "cool" if that's what you want to do. But having said that, you're at an awkward age, and not a whole lot can be helped about that (except simple time). Perhaps one of the best pieces of advice I was given at a young age was: "a gentleman does not bow to trends."
I think, in a broader scheme, buying a headphone simply based on looks is probably a losing proposition. You'll make a lot of compromises to buy something that's "popular for being popular" instead of getting something that adequately addresses your needs and/or wants (and is probably less expensive), that you can just as easily rock as "cool" if you want to. Not to mention, if you own something that's not "hip" it's less likely to be a target for theft (like Apple's "Mug-Me White").
Just my .02 on the whole thing.

Yeah, what he said.

Anyway, this thread is going downhill fast.  I'm out guys, have fun!

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #95 of 116
you know what's cooler than wearing beats? NOT WEARING BEATS. makes you look like a underinformed rich kid. why are you buying headphones just to look cool? at $200 you could get a full set of nice clothes, but then again cool is about charisma as said above,not clothing. you know why beats became 'cool'? its because of dr dre's appealing adverts and promo videos. (i will admit the adverts do catch attention and they do it well) 
also as i said earlier, this isnt a place to ask about 'cool' looking headphones. AT ALL. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #97 of 116
Quote:
so it looks like the mixmaster mikes have the most votes, they must be pretty good?

Well even Tyll said they sounded pretty good in his review but the highs are a slightly on the veiled side though. They even measure pretty well. FYI, they hired a new experienced sound engineer quite recently and so far of his "work" which he has contributed to are the Mix Master Mike, Aviators and Hesh 2.0 (which all measure much better than the other skullcandy headphones) but I know Skullcandy plan to actually dish all their old headphones with newer better sounding more "own" developed headphones instead of china oem crap, I heard it in a review with Tetsuro Oishi, their sound engineer, I think it was Jude which interviewed him (should be a video on this site somewhere) which said this. They dub this new "focus" on better sounding headphone "Supreme Sound" and talk quite a bit around this on their homepage.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #98 of 116
Quote:
so it looks like the mixmaster mikes have the most votes, they must be pretty good?

Not necessarily (though I have heard good things about them).  We have to keep in mind that they were the only non-Beats and non-Souls in the poll right?  Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to make a poll out of all the other recommendations you've been getting so far.  Might yield some useful information...
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #99 of 116
Well TBH it measures quite well http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SkullcandyMixMaster.pdf only the highs could be maybe 3~5dB or so louder in average and it would sound very good I'd imagine. The impulse response shows there's maybe slight hint of resonance too and the bass is not the tightest but not the worst kind, fairly in-between.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #104 of 116
Quote:
new threads with new questions, kinda

That guy is such an a**.  Sooner or later, his sheer rudeness is really going to upset the more helpful members of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back