Miles Davis or Triple.fi's or ?? for all genres mainly R&B and Screamo, heavy metal etc.
Sep 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 61

Quote:
  The rje900 is fast with good treble but has a midbass hump and a little recessed mids which might affect the vocals. Forget the phiatons if you want bass (they offer excellent separation and detail though). I can't say anything about the rest as i don't know how they sound. If you wan't something with good bass but more prominent mids you can try a Radius DDM with small sized big apertured tips (the tips are very important if you want a balanced sound with controlled bass). The treble is a tad recessed (so cymbals take the back seat) but the mids are very forward, with excellent texture and detail. The vocals, (especially brutal vocals) are on top of every other sound, with the guitars following close by. I should note that the Radius don't do isolation all that well.

I just tried listening to Carrion from Park Drive (it reminded me a little of early Soilwork works sans keyboards btw). The vocals were great, with great texture and depth, and without a hint of sibilance. The guitars had great tonality and a full deep sound. Drums were natural sounding and i could follow the bassline just fine even with the compression from the youtube stream. Cymbals were recessed though, so if they are a priority for you, look somewhere else.

oO where do i get one of these "radius ddm's" that really sounds like something i'd probably enjoy.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 61
  Their proper name is TWF11R
tongue_smile.gif
.  You can get them from musicaacoustics.com (contact them via email). They sell them for ~150$ if i am not mistaken, and you can also get the OEM version for less (ask them for a price if you are insterested).

It's VERY important not to use them with the stock, or any other big sized/fat tips. Check the Radius appreciation thread for recommendations and pics of flanges that have good synergy with the Radius. You should also look for more detailed opinions on these and any other iem that interests you before making your decision, don't be hasty 
wink_face.gif
  And a final warning, the DDMs are very revealing iems, poor encodings and low quality dacs won't work that great with them. The difference between flac through my xonar, and mp3 through my 5800 is huge.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 61
$109 for the OEM version. I'm not too sure about them being that revealing as I found them to be pretty forgiving of bad masters or poorly ripped tracks.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 61
  My guess is that you were wearing them with a tight seal using fat tips, thus the bass covered the distortion and compression artifacts, heck it probably covered everything 
tongue_smile.gif
. Jokes aside, distortion and artifacts due to compression are so obvious, i could tell the 320kbps mp3 file from the flac file 10 times out of ten on a blind test. Believe me, i know how far fetched this sounds but it's the honest truth. I couldn't reliably spot the aac though (0.70 quality) which forced me to reencode my on the go  music library to this format.

As for bad recordings, the last few days i have been made painfully aware that some records that i've owned for close to 20 years now, weren't as well mastered as i thought, and i have been listening to them through numerous pairs of speakers, full cans and iems for all these years. The opposite is true as well, some well mastered records sound better than ever.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 61
okay i found the ddm's on accessoryjack.com though still leaving my options open,

HOW exactly do you "re-encode" your music because i know that i have quite a lot of rubbish quality music ie. 128/192 kbps...

And what exactly is OEM? Ive seen them around especially in the likes of turbines and people say they're just another word for being fake?:S I'm so lost.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #22 of 61
that just totally lost me so i need a program called "foobar" to convert my crappy lossless files? also what do u think about the IE8's i can get them for 220USD and that seems really good from an authorized dealer too.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #23 of 61
Lol, sorry i should have been allot more specific. Flac is a way to compress your music from your cd (like mp3), but unlike mp3 it's lossless meaning it sounds completely the same as the cd. In order to re-encode to aac you need to re-rip your cds with foobar to aac. You can't re-encode low quality mp3s to high quality aac, you either need the cd or a flac version of the cd. Still not every ear has the same sensitivity to the same frequencies, so what is pretty obvious to me (compression artifacts) might be undetectable by you, try them first with your mp3s before attempting to re-encode. If you need further assistance with encoding pm me.

As for the ie8s, they are well regarded here but i personally haven't listened to them, so if you want information about them search this site for reviews/impressions. Mark has listened to both the ie7 and the ie8, so he might be able to help you.

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #24 of 61
Mark actually enjoys the IE7's more than the IE8's argh! decisions!! lol

Okay currently I've decided to get a top IEM so I can stop spending money and hopefully not spend 3 hrs+ a day on head-fi thinking of things i need to buy, damn it.

1. Monster turbine pro copper Authorized dealer $280 USD
2. Ultimate Ears triple.fi 290USD authorized aswell
3. Sennheiser IE8 $260 USD authorized aswell

which one should i get and why? thansk!!

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #25 of 61

Quote:
Mark actually enjoys the IE7's more than the IE8's argh! decisions!! lol

Okay currently I've decided to get a top IEM so I can stop spending money and hopefully not spend 3 hrs+ a day on head-fi thinking of things i need to buy, damn it.

Lol , It does not work , one you have your new top tier iem for a few weeks you will be back on head fi 3 hrs a day searching for your next upgrade 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #27 of 61
Out of those three , tf10 is the most different from ie7  , the coppers are some nice sounding phones though , you can not go wrong with either of these two ,just remember tf10 fit  does not suit every ones ears as they have a tendency to slide out if you do not get a good fit .

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 61
  I wouldn't recommend the TF10, a friend of mine had the SF5 pros, their shape was very uncomfortable and their cable broke every other day. Those characteristics (shape and cable) are shared between these 2 models. You could also look into the monster MD and the Victor FX700 since you are willing to go all out 
wink_face.gif
. Whatever you get you will return though, mark my words 
tongue_smile.gif
. 40 days ago i got two new iems and i am already trying to decide between new desktop monitors and a dba-02 (i will probably get both in the long run damn it). Then, there is the new DDM in December which i just have to have and then maybe an SM3 or a nice sexy ortofon and then a SR225 or an HD650....... Damn you Head-fi.org ! 

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #29 of 61
ahh damn, I was keen on the triple.fi's since they're available locally... If you upgrade the cables to lune cables to they become much more durable or? still the same? if they're not durable I won't get them....

Are the IE8's much better than the IE7's? in terms of sound?

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #30 of 61
Never had any trouble with my TF10 cable in the 11 months that i have had them 
regular_smile .gif

Ie8 has a more refined and smoother treble ,bigger subwoofer like bass and is warmer, although ie7 bass is very good , both have that sennhieser silky smooth texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back