Mikhail (Singlepower) you win...or maybe you're losing...
Jun 17, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #271 of 297
BTW, was there not supposed to be a tightly monitored sticky thread regarding who Singlepower / Mikhail owes what? I understand if this was scrapped due to advice of counsel, but haven't seen anything further of this idea.

Maybe a seperate site outside the shell of Head-fi, linked for the benefit of members to find it would help in documenting the issue for the relevant authorities in Colorado, and for any potential civil actions? Email detailing the transactions, along with invoices and other documentation could be posted for reference.

Pretty disappointed in the Atty General of Colorado for not pursuing this, assuming someone has at least mentioned it to them.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #272 of 297
For those of you who are worried about the cost of a lawyer, have you considered only suing him for the maximum allowed in small claims court? Say he owes you $10k, and the max is $7k... why not just sue for $7k? To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to sue for the full value. $7k is a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #273 of 297
Just to quickly add in some cents here. If we had a lawyer contact and got a class together, you could try to go after him on contingency - given the case was strong enough (which it seems it is if we did the legwork of putting the pieces together from everyone).

My amp broke
frown.gif
After the International meet where it worked fine, I brought it home. It worked fine too. And suddenly, the same problem which started the whole previous epic SP thread has come back. The left channel won't bias, and its output is very soft. The volume pot is basically not usable.

Does anyone know of any local (SF Bay Area) amp techs?

Neil

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #274 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Tom. Tom has been waiting for his amp for so long. It has been 2.5 years and counting waiting for his Meastro XLR. I would be pretty darn upset too.

I would subscribe all of his email accounts to animal ****.

EDIT: Oh, I've been censored. We can play hangman if you don't get it. :)

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #275 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would subscribe all of his email accounts to animal ****.

EDIT: Oh, I've been censored. We can play hangman if you don't get it. :)

Man, that happened to me thanks to some jerk from Craigslist.

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #276 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that happened to me thanks to some jerk from Craigslist.

That's funny because I precisely saw a threat on a Craigslist ad (for camera lenses, would you believe) which said "If you make a lowball offer, I will subscribe your email address to [hem... wierdos' stuff])
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #277 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny because I precisely saw a threat on a Craigslist ad (for camera lenses, would you believe) which said "If you make a lowball offer, I will subscribe your email address to [hem... wierdos' stuff])
smile.gif

Let's just say that "Man's Best Friend" can be taken too literally
eek.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #279 of 297
Quote:

For those of you who are worried about the cost of a lawyer, have you considered only suing him for the maximum allowed in small claims court? Say he owes you $10k, and the max is $7k... why not just sue for $7k? To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to sue for the full value. $7k is a hell of a lot better than nothing.

You clearly have never been through a small claims court case. Getting a judgement against someone is one thing, actually collecting is entirely another. My company has several outstanding judgments against defaulting clients who did not fulfill their contracts and we'd actually lose more trying to collect it than it's worth. It's a maddeningly frustrating process, trust me.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #280 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You clearly have never been through a small claims court case. Getting a judgement against someone is one thing, actually collecting is entirely another. My company has several outstanding judgments against defaulting clients who did not fulfill their contracts and we'd actually lose more trying to collect it than it's worth. It's a maddeningly frustrating process, trust me.

What makes you think I haven't been through a small claims case? I have been, so sorry, but you're out of line on this one.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #281 of 297
Money aside, you can also ask the Court to enjoin him from doing business, take his copyrights, and several other remedies aside from money.

You may or may not be able to sue for those, but it's worth looking into. Posting complaints on a message board accomplishes nothing. Further, the more time you waste posting means the closer you get to the statute of limitations or being barred by laches.

Do something, people. Maybe you can't get your money, but maybe you can have the court do something else.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #283 of 297
Quote:

What makes you think I haven't been through a small claims case? I have been, so sorry, but you're out of line on this one.

You must first secure a judgment (which in this case may be very difficult since many of these deals were negotiated over the phone) and then assuming that Mikhail even showed up he would not be required to pay immediately. So you would then have to wait a predetermined amount of time for payment, then when he doesn't pay you have to pay fees to get a warrant issued, then you have hope that the sheriff's department can track him down and arrest him, then you might get a portion of the bail that he'd have to post. Rinse, repeat, it takes forever, you lose more $$ every time you get a warrant issued or have the sheriff's department attempt to serve him with papers. And things get even more complicated when the parties are in different states. My company has been after a guy for 3 years, had him arrested 3 times (or more) and I'd guess we've gotten maybe a couple hundred bucks net out of it and that's completely ignoring the time that it takes to file all the necessary paperwork.

So while you may have been involved in cases before it's nowhere near as simple as your first post would imply. So am I really out of line?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #284 of 297
Quote:

You must first secure a judgment (which in this case may be very difficult since many of these deals were negotiated over the phone) and then assuming that Mikhail even showed up he would not be required to pay immediately. So you would then have to wait a predetermined amount of time for payment, then when he doesn't pay you have to pay fees to get a warrant issued, then you have hope that the sheriff's department can track him down and arrest him, then you might get a portion of the bail that he'd have to post. Rinse, repeat, it takes forever, you lose more $$ every time you get a warrant issued or have the sheriff's department attempt to serve him with papers. And things get even more complicated when the parties are in different states. My company has been after a guy for 3 years, had him arrested 3 times (or more) and I'd guess we've gotten maybe a couple hundred bucks net out of it and that's completely ignoring the time that it takes to file all the necessary paperwork.

So while you may have been involved in cases before it's nowhere near as simple as your first post would imply. So am I really out of line?
rolleyes.gif

No your not out of line, from my experience your right on.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #285 of 297
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

You are confusing criminal and civil law. So are a lot of other people.

If you want a criminal action against him, in what jurisdiction would he be prosecuted: city/county/state court? That determines where you file your complaint. What crime are you alleging? Do you know the elements of that crime? Do you know what has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt? Do you have sufficient evidence for the prosecutor to present to the jury that would convince all 9 of them to find him guilty. Stop. Put your feet in those of the prosecutor: 1.) Will he care, given the demands on his office, 2.) Can he be certain that he will win?

If you want to pursue a civil action what type of case are you going to take up against him. Breach of contract, personal injury of some kind,.., what? And so on.....Basically you need to know what you have to prove, to whom, to get a judgement. And then, as others have noted, do you believe you can collect enough to make it all worth your while?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back