Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,201 of 7,708
Considering I won't make atm a greater investment than the 99 classics, would I really benefit from the red more than the black? Would looking for a DSD compatible DAC even matter with this headphones? I was exactly looking for a Black like investment, but I would go for the red if it would benefit my listening experience. I just want what's right for the 99's. I currently have an old sflo2, the Galaxy s7 edge, a x1 yoga notebook at the office, and the Sennheiser ie8 iems.

I haven't had the chance to hear either of the new Audioquests, both of which are supposed to be an improvement over my 1.2 Everything I've read suggests the Red is the better DAC, so I imagine you'd hear a difference (depending on your files) but I can't speak to how big a difference you'd hear. I'm thinking of getting the Red myself, but not yet .

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,203 of 7,708
Nice review. Gracias.

Is there a sub 200 DAC/amp that also takes analogue audio input via a 3.5mm adapter. Is it worth looking for that feature to use it with a portable gaming device like the Nintendo Switch? That would be the only analogue source I would be using. If not, which is the best under 200 to pair whit the 99 classics and to use with PCs and my s7 edge?

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #1,204 of 7,708
Can anyone provide a comparison between the Meze 99 and the Focal Spirit Classic (which I have) and the AQ Nighthawk (that I'm also interested in)?

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,205 of 7,708
Can anyone provide a comparison between the Meze 99 and the Focal Spirit Classic (which I have) and the AQ Nighthawk (that I'm also interested in)?

I'll be getting a sample of the new batch of AQ headphones in the near future, and will do a comparison here. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,206 of 7,708
Hi everyone,
Just received my new bigger pads and wanted to ask for your help regarding the change..
I've been looking everywhere for a tutorial but couldn't find anything remotely related, not even if they're glued or screwed to the wooden enclosure.
It's just that I'm normally very careful with such things and would like to keep the HP in a pristine condition without ruining the older pads..
Any help would be much appreciated!
Sorry if this as been discussed before, but if so a link would do the trick:))
Thanks in advance!

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,207 of 7,708
hi guys, sorry if these questions have been answered before but.. do these come standard with the new bigger pads now, or do you need to buy them separately? are they comfortable with glasses? and how portable are these?

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #1,209 of 7,708
I remember asking this question directly to Antonio Meze (if I remember his name correctly) and he said SoonTM but I can't still find them so.... asking it again here: is there any way to have or be able to build customized cables? The huge problem being the super-tiny plugs that aren't available on the market. If they only sold the plugs alone for any DIY-er out here that would already be awesome.

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #1,210 of 7,708
I remember asking this question directly to Antonio Meze (if I remember his name correctly) and he said SoonTM but I can't still find them so.... asking it again here: is there any way to have or be able to build customized cables? The huge problem being the super-tiny plugs that aren't available on the market. If they only sold the plugs alone for any DIY-er out here that would already be awesome.

I'd be willing to bet that if you contact some cable manufacturers, they'd be able to help.
I'm a fan of @PLUSSOUND great customer service & great value, though others may be able to help, too. I thought that those connectors were a standard size, but smaller than a normal (3.5mm)l headphone out. but @MezeTeam can speak to that.

Good luck!

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,211 of 7,708
Again, I don't remember very well the details but I think Mr Meze told me those plugs had to be mechanically rolled onto the cable/connectors and in fact they're few mm smaller than the slim 3.5 ones you can find on aliexpress or such stores which is why I thought Meze somehow "had" to offer some replacement option on their store. I mean, right now if you accidentally cut or lose both the cables in the bundle you should buy a new pair of headphones. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong of course.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,212 of 7,708
I've had mine done with balanced aftermarket cable and no cheap plastic plug inserts.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794593/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread/780#post_12782636

Again, I don't remember very well the details but I think Mr Meze told me those plugs had to be mechanically rolled onto the cable/connectors and in fact they're few mm smaller than the slim 3.5 ones you can find on aliexpress or such stores which is why I thought Meze somehow "had" to offer some replacement option on their store. I mean, right now if you accidentally cut or lose both the cables in the bundle you should buy a new pair of headphones. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back