MEElectronics M6 Review
Nov 7, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #31 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i much prefer the PL-50. i not only believe it to be better it also has pretty much my preferred sound sig but its a bit bass light for what many people want. i can see why the M6 would be many peoples preferred choice of the two though.

Yep, I prefer the M6 of the two, but only by a tiny margin. The somewhat v-shaped response agrees more with my music preferences - I sure do love my sparkly treble. I don't feel that the PL50 lacks bass, but the mids it puts out are just a bit too weighty for me. EQing helps, but I'm not a huge fan of that. Probably the same reason I don't generally like Shures (disclaimer: have not tried the SE530).

The need to remove the memory wire from the M6 is an attempt to get it closer to the PL50 fit. The seal I get is quite similar with Sony Hybrid tips.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #32 of 563
Just got mine today, first impressions (first hour), they look damn awesome, memory wire takes a bit to get used to but seems good, bass is insanely strong (too much I feel but has a really nice crisp punch) and isolation is amazing and comfort is excellent!

They seem very easy to drive and soundstage is average.

I have only used the tripple flange tips so far I will try some others out soon.

I'll see what happens after they break-in
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #33 of 563
I just managed to remove the memory wire from these things. The first side took me about 15 minutes, the second about 5 minutes once I figured out how to remove the sheathe more easily. Absolutely no comparison the the stock fit. They are actually comfortable now. They don't quite disappear into one's ears like my pl50s, but the fit and comfort are great all the same. As for sound, it seems like SQ has improved. Now, whether this is from a better fit from removal of the memory wire, or just a placebo effect due to the added comfort I don't know. But the reason doesn't really matter so long as I'm now happier with these.

As for how I removed the wire. I used a sharp knife to carefully cut a small tear in the side of the sheathe. Mostly I pulled it down with my fingers from that point. Once the sheathe is down at the bottom, you just pull gently on the memory wire while incorporating a bit of twisting motion, and it comes right off. Then just carefully cut off the remaining hanging cover. There is a *bit* left hanging, but it's not really noticeable on mine...I decided that aesthetics were not worth cutting so close to the cord itself.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #34 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just managed to remove the memory wire from these things. The first side took me about 15 minutes, the second about 5 minutes once I figured out how to remove the sheathe more easily. Absolutely no comparison the the stock fit. They are actually comfortable now. They don't quite disappear into one's ears like my pl50s, but the fit and comfort are great all the same. As for sound, it seems like SQ has improved. Now, whether this is from a better fit from removal of the memory wire, or just a placebo effect due to the added comfort I don't know. But the reason doesn't really matter so long as I'm now happier with these.

As for how I removed the wire. I used a sharp knife to carefully cut a small tear in the side of the sheathe. Mostly I pulled it down with my fingers from that point. Once the sheathe is down at the bottom, you just pull gently on the memory wire while incorporating a bit of twisting motion, and it comes right off. Then just carefully cut off the remaining hanging cover. There is a *bit* left hanging, but it's not really noticeable on mine...I decided that aesthetics were not worth cutting so close to the cord itself.

best way it to use a pocket knife and a very small scissor. took me a minute each side.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #35 of 563
Wow, break-in has improved these so much. I wasn't really impressed during the first hour of listening, left it to break in from my last post to this morning (Using sweeps/white noise/pink noise etc) and wow, what a difference! Bass has really calmed down and highs are sounding better too, mids are still a little bit muffled (Excuse my lack of terminology) but it still is sounding pretty good overall, and they're too comfy
biggrin.gif

I'm impressed, I'll still be breaking them in every night for a while, hopefully they'll improve even more!

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #36 of 563
I also performed a surgery and removed the memory wire on my clear M6. I used only small pointy cuticle scissors to get the plastic shield off, inserting one tip inside the shield and cutting along the length. The metal wire basically fell out on one side, and came out on the other with some gentle twisting and pulling. Took me five minutes total. The comfort is so much better for me now. No damage incurred. I love these headphones and they do get a better seal and sound than my M9.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 563
I got mine a few days ago after a fiasco with warranty over the M9s. These sound so amazingly good. Listening to "Soft Shock" by the Yeah Yeah Yeah's is SO amazing on these. The clarity is superb. The strength of mid's and high's are incomparably better than my JVC marshmallows, and the bass still remains relatively strong, though not overpowering.

I'm still debating whether I should remove the memory wire. It's a bit annoying, but it ensures that the earbuds stay tightly in my ears. I feel like I would lose some of the seal.

Anybody know if there are any other earbud tips I should use with these?

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by quadomatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody know if there are any other earbud tips I should use with these?

Sony Hybrids

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #39 of 563
Just got a pair of the black ones today. I got them because I saw pictures that made it look like the cables would be blingy like the clears, but they are more a metallic gray. They look cool, but not quite the black and white contrast I thought I was getting. But more importantly, they sound great, certainly MUCH better bass than my E2C's which was my main complaint with the E2C's. Treble is a tad stronger than what I like, but I have only had them for a couple hours and suppose I could always EQ them down a tad if I need to. So far, so good. Definitely worth the money and was just the kind of change that I was looking for. BTW, I am using the Comply tips that I had from my E2C's. Perfect fit! I tried the triple flanges but couldn't get anything close to a seal. The rest of the tips look pretty cheap, too. I am going to keep my E2C's as backups, but more because all the tips fit! Very pleased so far.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #40 of 563
I tried the large tips today and they kept on working themselves loose. I'm going to try the small tips and if they don't isolate and/or stay in I'll try the tripple flange ones again.

If not I'll just go back to the mid size single tips and/or buy some new ones. Comply's look good and it's great to know that they fit but I hear they don't last long.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #41 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If not I'll just go back to the mid size single tips and/or buy some new ones. Comply's look good and it's great to know that they fit but I hear they don't last long.

Keep in mind that comply tips come in different sizes. T400s and T500 don't work on the M6.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #42 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that comply tips come in different sizes. T400s and T500 don't work on the M6.

Doh! *Closes both the T400 and T500 pages I have up :p. Thanks.

What does fit then?
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #45 of 563
I can confirm that the the T200's fit. I just ordered some of the Vsonics to compare since they are sooo much cheaper than the Comply's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back