MEElectronics M6 Review
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 563
just received my clear ones in the mail today. i have to say, lightning fast shipping from California to Boston, only took 3 days.

They're great and stand up to all the praise that have been thrown their way. One gripe is the included tri-flange tip, it's pretty much useless. All the other included tips are only single flange, which is kind of disappointing; I was hoping for some bi-flange tips.

I was wondering if anyone who has the m6 has played around with tips and found one to be the best. From what I've been seeing and hearing, the bi-flange tips are used the most, but where did you get these bi-flange tips from? Are they from the other Meelectronics IEMs (such as the M11, R1, M9) or were the bought from 3rd party vendors?

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 563
M11/R1/M9 bi-flanges are too big for the M6. The old M6, which I have, came with some excellent foam tips which Meelec has ditched for some reason. Regardless, I use mine with Sony Hybrids and they work great. Another option is the $2 VSonic foamies off ebay, but only if you have relatively large ear canals.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 563
How doe M6 compare with RE0?
I am looking for a decent over-the-ear phone, with strong bass and forward mids, and hopefully good sound stage. Was planning to wait for the Fischer Audio Eterna to become available in US, but getting impatient....

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M11/R1/M9 bi-flanges are too big for the M6. The old M6, which I have, came with some excellent foam tips which Meelec has ditched for some reason. Regardless, I use mine with Sony Hybrids and they work great. Another option is the $2 VSonic foamies off ebay, but only if you have relatively large ear canals.

Hm, so you prefer the Hybrids over the M11/R1/M9 bi-flange? When you say the bi-flanges are too big, do you mean they can't even fit on the M6, or do you mean they're too big for your ear? I'm not sure if my ear canals are considered large, with the included tips the only one that gives a decent fit is the L size single flange, all the other ones are too small, does that mean that I have large ear canals?

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #21 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How doe M6 compare with RE0?
I am looking for a decent over-the-ear phone, with strong bass and forward mids, and hopefully good sound stage. Was planning to wait for the Fischer Audio Eterna to become available in US, but getting impatient....

The M6 is a much more "fun" sounding earphone, but what's great about it that it gives about 85% of the detail of an RE0 in the mids and treble. The RE0 has better extension on the high end (and maybe just a bit better on the low end), but the M6 is no slouch there either. The mids on the M6 are a bit recessed and it will be a tad harsher than the RE0, but that should be expected from a $40 earphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, so you prefer the Hybrids over the M11/R1/M9 bi-flange? When you say the bi-flanges are too big, do you mean they can't even fit on the M6, or do you mean they're too big for your ear? I'm not sure if my ear canals are considered large, with the included tips the only one that gives a decent fit is the L size single flange, all the other ones are too small, does that mean that I have large ear canals?

The M11/R1/M9 biflange will not physically fit on the M6. It will be too lose. The hybrids won't fit on the M11/R1/M9, so I can't say I like one over the other since I can't do a direct comparison.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #24 of 563
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the biflanges that mark is using in the OP?

erm i think the bi flanges that come with either them or one of the other MEElectronics range. so many tips floating about at the time not sure what ones came with what exactly

as for the chap saying about these or the RE-0 the RE-0 spank these up and down the place but if you want bass then the RE-0 is on the light side.

i think these are a really nice introduction in to things, keeping a sound sig that these just entering the world of spending stupid amounts of money on headphones will still find acceptable in the bass response. things like the RE-0 will feel like they have none.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 563
Mark

Having got these, I'm also enjoying the sound...but the memory wire is a true pain. Would it be safe to try cutting it off with a sharp knife? Looking at the clear ones, it looks like the wire runs just inside the sleeve. So I'm hoping that an x-acto knife will do the trick (as long as I don't actually cut the wire itself).

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #27 of 563
A couple of people have removed the memory wire successfully. I intend to go at it with a blade when I get my new clear M6s for the gf. The memory wire really is a pain in the ass.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 563
Good to hear. Guess it means I'll give it a try. Incidentally, do the two of you prefer your pl50s or the m6? Personally, I think I still prefer the pl50...but it may be just personal preference speaking...or that memory wire.
wink.gif
Either way, these are a nice change of pace from the pl50.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #30 of 563
if the memory wire really is an issue, it's really easy to take it off. it took it off the other day and it only took me about 5 minutes. you just bake a small pocket knife and cut a little of the plastic covering that's holding the copper wire. once you have a little flap open at the end, it's all down hill from there and you can use a small set of scissors to cut the rest of it off. once the plastic covering is off, the copper wire just falls out, no tugging or force necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back