Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 18, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #35,401 of 48,578
Hello everyone! New to the headphone game, like many others I started off with a gaming headset. I just purchased the fidelio x2s and have a boompro mic on the way. I currently use an astro mixamp tr with usb and optical going to my ps4 for chat/game sound with an aux cord into my laptop for everything on it. 

The mixamp should be plenty strong enough to power the X2s but was wondering if I had any better options? Must be able to retain chat through the ps4 as well as be able to have both pc/ps4 sounds at once. I've done a little reading on the creative x7 and the features sound really cool but it seems as if the chat doesn't properly work without using a bluetooth adapter.

Can anyone tell me: 

1. If I would benefit from upgrading from the mixamp to the x7? Besides the mixamp tr having questionable audio compared to older versions.

2. How do you setup chat audio for ps4 using the x7? 

May 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #35,402 of 48,578
For most painless setup use the bt-w2 transmitter with te X7.

May 18, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #35,403 of 48,578
Would the Philips X2 be good for watching action movies compared to the sennheiser game one? (game one is the same as HD558 I've heard) Also how do their soundstage compare I'm going to use them for 50% movies/music and 50% gaming.

I've heard people saying that if you're unlucky you can get a defect X2 does anyone here know if it still happens that you can get bad X2's?

May 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #35,405 of 48,578
Both E-MU headphones, the teak and walnut, will be at Canlanta this weekend.

Chan from EMU will be there, think he's registering today officially, he booked his flight last night from singapore.  He will have the EMU Teak and Walnuts in addition to his custom Rosewood and Ebony cups that fit the Foster/Fostex 5mm bio dyna style headphones.

May 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #35,406 of 48,578
I gotta say folks that Beyerdynamic T1.1 is crazy performer at gaming!!! Whitout eq it is less fun than DT990, but notably more competitive. With eq you can make it even more fun and more competitive at the same time!!! Just crazy performance! Not only soundstage, but also inreased details, resolution and imaging is noticable when gaming. Best purchase along with my HD650, highly recommended! It is very good for everything:wink:.

May 18, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #35,407 of 48,578
Honestly, I feel like once the soundstage is there, the competitive/immersive balance can be nicely tuned with a little EQ. Don't be afraid to use it; it'll save you from having to swap out headphones all the time.

If anything, I need to downsize my headphone collection. The PC360 is just good enough for most of my typical computer use that I don't need most of my fancier sets around.

Also, on a different gaming-related note, is it just me, or is the revised Xbox One pad with the built-in headphone jack a heck of a lot better than I remember?

LB/RB aren't irksome to use now (the demo kiosk pads I've tried tend to be the older ones where the bumpers are weirdly hinged), the impact triggers actually feel nice when giving Forza 6 Apex a test run, the analog sticks are a heck of a lot tighter and less sloppy around center than older Microsoft pads, and all in all, I'm glad Oculus throws one in with every Rift so I have a big upgrade from my older Xbox 360 wireless pad.

They removed the ring quadrant LEDs around the Guide button, though, so when you've got multiple pads connected, how are you supposed to tell which is P1, which is P2 and so forth? Seems like a dumb design regression considering everything else that's improved.

May 18, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #35,408 of 48,578
Honestly, I feel like once the soundstage is there, the competitive/immersive balance can be nicely tuned with a little EQ. Don't be afraid to use it; it'll save you from having to swap out headphones all the time.

If anything, I need to downsize my headphone collection. The PC360 is just good enough for most of my typical computer use that I don't need most of my fancier sets around.

Also, on a different gaming-related note, is it just me, or is the revised Xbox One pad with the built-in headphone jack a heck of a lot better than I remember?

LB/RB aren't irksome to use now (the demo kiosk pads I've tried tend to be the older ones where the bumpers are weirdly hinged), the impact triggers actually feel nice when giving Forza 6 Apex a test run, the analog sticks are a heck of a lot tighter and less sloppy around center than older Microsoft pads, and all in all, I'm glad Oculus throws one in with every Rift so I have a big upgrade from my older Xbox 360 wireless pad.

They removed the ring quadrant LEDs around the Guide button, though, so when you've got multiple pads connected, how are you supposed to tell which is P1, which is P2 and so forth? Seems like a dumb design regression considering everything else that's improved.
+1 When Soundstage is large and imaging is good, anything else you can achieve with eq. Well, for gaming and movies atleast...

May 18, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #35,409 of 48,578
Both E-MU headphones, the teak and walnut, will be at Canlanta this weekend.

Please let me know what you think of the walnut should you get some good listening time with it.

May 23, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #35,411 of 48,578
Will the on-board Realtek ALC1150 be good enough for the DT990? I'll mainly use them for gaming. Is a budget amp like the FiiO E10k, Schiit Fulla/Magni 2 or the Sound Blaster Z worth the money, while I have the Realtek ALC1150 audio chip? If so, which of these would you recommend?

May 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #35,412 of 48,578
Will the on-board Realtek ALC1150 be good enough for the DT990? I'll mainly use them for gaming. Is a budget amp like the FiiO E10k, Schiit Fulla/Magni 2 or the Sound Blaster Z worth the money, while I have the Realtek ALC1150 audio chip? If so, which of these would you recommend?

The Realtek chip isn't all that impressive, I'd say get a FiiO K5 or other desktop amp for the DT990.
Maybe cut the treble a little bit in EQ.

May 23, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #35,415 of 48,578
https://youtu.be/FZ60cgvrRtA

This a link to an old video from earlier this year.

Didnt know they were making a VR headset in which I think it gives a hint wear audio, especially in gaming, will be heading to.

Im intrigued as to how this VR will work, which requires using your phone but Im more interested in their audio.

I dont think anyone in here has mentioned about this (creative labs specifically).

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back