Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #35,431 of 48,579
HD 800. There is no other. I tried them all. No headphone does frontal projection, imaging, soundstage better. Then there's the attack which gives high "physicality/tactility" with strings, drums etc...and then you got the fast decay. Music, gaming, movies. It's all right there. The more people sell their multiple mid-fi headphones the easier they can buy a HD800 with a deal or used in great condition.

I'm not judging, everyone here knows I had multiple mid-fi as well. 

There is hd800 and hd800s now, read some reviews, some liked it better than the 800 and some likes the 800 over the s

The price is a little too much for now

If u had to choose between beyer 770/880/990, audio techica ath-ad700/ad900, akg k701, akg q701, and sennheiser 598/600/650, which would be best for fps games and decent for music movies ?

Thanks

May 24, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #35,433 of 48,579
There is hd800 and hd800s now, read some reviews, some liked it better than the 800 and some likes the 800 over the s

The price is a little too much for now

If u had to choose between beyer 770/880/990, audio techica ath-ad700/ad900, akg k701, akg q701, and sennheiser 598/600/650, which would be best for fps games and decent for music movies ?

Thanks

K712

btw: Amazon is listing the TAC.

May 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #35,434 of 48,579
Someone please explain to me why buying HD800 for gaming isn't a waste of money even if you have money to burn? When you factor in that almost every game on the market has horrible sound processing with terrible iterations of things like DSP. Is something like a pair of $1,000 headphone really going to give you a experience that warrants the extra $900 over something like a pair of AD900X in something like CSGO? I highly doubt it.

May 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #35,435 of 48,579
Someone please explain to me why buying HD800 for gaming isn't a waste of money even if you have money to burn? When you factor in that almost every game on the market has horrible sound processing with terrible iterations of things like DSP. Is something like a pair of $1,000 headphone really going to give you a experience that warrants the extra $900 over something like a pair of AD900X in something like CSGO? I highly doubt it.

Some people use headphones for other stuff too. Like, you know, music.

Also, not all games sound like crap. If your chosen games sound like crap and you're happy with your Audio Technicas, well, more power to you.

May 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #35,436 of 48,579
Some people just prefer the nicer things in life if they can afford it. As with any other hobby...

I'm not going to knock a car enthusiast for owning a Porsche. So I'm definitely not knocking gaming audiophiles for owning an HD800/S, Ether, HEK, etc. If they have the expensive monitor, motherboard, graphics card, etc, why not have the expensive headphones to go with it, right?

It's when people are on console that I feel they are overdoing it in the upper price ranges. I just reach for my cheap 9500 most of (if not all) the time on my PS4.

May 24, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #35,437 of 48,579
Man, I so want an HD800 now lol

Need to start selling some of my headphones I havent used since last year. If I can get around 500 to 600 dollars from the headphones I sell, I wouldnt mind spending the difference for an HD800 or HD800S.

But Then I see the TH900 and HE 560 etc etc and im like....What do I do!? Lol

May 25, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #35,440 of 48,579
Who's ordering the TAC?

Quote:

No matter how you spin it, the HD 800 will always be better. That's what matters. Be it music, movies, gaming. Even if it was purely for gaming I'd chose the HD 800 because there is NO game that is better on the AD900X, X2 etc.
Sure I might have no advantage in CS GO and Co., but it's more because other stuff matters (mechanics, aiming, map knowledge). Sound will always be better.

Plenty of games sound good by now. and truly shine with such headphones. BF4, Hardline, Battlefront, BF1, Mirror's Edge, Killzone 2,3, SF etc etc...

You could also say that 800€ IPS 144Hz Monitors are a waste of money because 150€ TN Monitor dewwdz rip them apart. Now if we talk about color reproduction, motion resolution, viewing angles, built, features like variable refresh rate etc......

and then there's music that I could listen to with such a headphone. 

May 25, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #35,441 of 48,579
Add Driveclub to the list of games that sound good with headphones. Those engines just roar and make other racing games' sound like toy cars in comparison.

May 25, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #35,442 of 48,579
yes, it's in the "etc etc" list

Gonna sell a few devices then probably take a TAC for the team. Let me sell first though. I kinda doubt that device to be at E5/g5 level in fidelity though. :[

May 25, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #35,443 of 48,579

I see you have an HD800 as your avatar pic. Have you tried it?
I believe I just said this earlier, but again, it maxes out pretty much every quality that benefits gaming, besides a microphone. Comfort, positional imaging, detail, immersive realism, every frequency is well-represented with great finesse, and doesn't trap too much heat. I also find it to be really engaging and fun, because of the attack and impact Fegefeur mentioned. All the padding and cabling can be replaced if worn out, even the headband. It would sound awful if you powered it through the DualShock 4 controller, but given a good setup that includes gear selected with care, the HD800 will easily be a great endgame experience.

That doesn't take away the fact that it's not for everyone. Have a smaller budget or in an environment like College where stuff gets damaged or stolen? No, don't get a headphone this expensive! The HD800 also doesn't suit a situation where someone might need a closed headphone for isolation or privacy, nor is it suited for portable use. Making it even semi-wireless would be quite an uphill battle. And some people just have a taste for a different headphone with a V-shaped frequency.

Through college, I had an Audio Technica ATH-AD700, which was great. My senior year, I got a Q701, which I also kept for three years, but to others in college or new to headphones I would also recommend an AKG K612 or K7XX. I also tried several other headphones, enjoyed the experience and I wouldn't take away from that. Now, I'm glad I have the HD800, but I'm also 5 years out of college and I learned what I like in headphones, with a pretty stable job, I got a tax refund, and the HD800 showed up on a really good sale price. I needed all those pieces in place before I made the jump.

Consoles and audio quality have definitely improved, I would say even the 360/PS3 generation had great sound which can be discovered, but beyond just new little details I also just find that it's worth it to find a comfortable physical and sonic presentation.

May 25, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #35,444 of 48,579
That HD800 avatar pic looks like one of the default ones on the forums. He probably never changed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back