Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 15, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #35,386 of 48,579
hey, should I get SHP9500, CAL1's, or spend some more for CAL2's (or something else)

https://youtu.be/HT5o8s4VKXg ~ I also like music like this. 

For music like you posted....I would go with the CALs. I have them and they sound pretty good with EDM in general. I also have the SHP9500 and they wouldnt be good for your taste of music.

For gaming, CAL will still suit you really well. Check out MLEs review of the CAL in the first page of the thread.

SHP in gaming in my opinion is pretty good too but its spund signature is more analytical and not as fun as the CAL.

As for CAL2...I never heard them or tried them but have read that they arent as good as the first CAL....

May 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #35,387 of 48,579
Maybe I'll just buy a pair of CAL!s so I can finally compare to the CAL!2s I have, and give the winner to my dad. They were $50 recently.

I thought the CAL!2 were supposed to have less bass and be tighter than the CAL!, but either way I like the H7 better as a closed gaming headset. I'll probably have to get them exchanged though, because my buddies I tested Overwatch with complained of static after playing 20-30 minutes (I used the mic monitoring in PS4 settings and couldn't reproduce it). The H7 is surprisingly good with the analog connector, so far.

One of the difficult things with closed cheap headsets is, good or bad, the people that buy and review them usually get them early in their audiophile careers, and don't have a broad experience to contrast with. I have a pretty good memory of the AD700, but it might give me a different impression now (though I still think "no bass" is an exaggeration, it does have sparkly highs and cold bass, and rolls off sub bass). I think people would like some more inexpensive closed headphone reviews...

May 15, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #35,388 of 48,579
There are still CALs in the house. The CAL still wows me even today. My review of them, I believe was updated a few years AFTER initial review, as well. I only re-review stuff I really like. That's why the Koss clip-ons and Sportapro were re-reviewed like 20 times. :D

I'd like to try the SHP9500 one day.

Reviews are the last thing on my mind however.

May 16, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #35,389 of 48,579
Maybe I'll just buy a pair of CAL!s so I can finally compare to the CAL!2s I have, and give the winner to my dad. They were $50 recently.

I thought the CAL!2 were supposed to have less bass and be tighter than the CAL!, but either way I like the H7 better as a closed gaming headset. I'll probably have to get them exchanged though, because my buddies I tested Overwatch with complained of static after playing 20-30 minutes (I used the mic monitoring in PS4 settings and couldn't reproduce it). The H7 is surprisingly good with the analog connector, so far.

One of the difficult things with closed cheap headsets is, good or bad, the people that buy and review them usually get them early in their audiophile careers, and don't have a broad experience to contrast with. I have a pretty good memory of the AD700, but it might give me a different impression now (though I still think "no bass" is an exaggeration, it does have sparkly highs and cold bass, and rolls off sub bass). I think people would like some more inexpensive closed headphone reviews...

You do need to have a pair...

I got it for 38 I think on jet.com earlier this year (or was it last year?)

Anyways...for its price, its pretty dam good. I dont use them as much since I'm loving my X2 a lot though I think Ill be using my K7XX more often as soon as I get a Vali 2 amp.

If I end up selling my Momentum over ears, I might start using the CAL! More often for travels or for house use while walking around and doing things.

May 16, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #35,390 of 48,579
There are still CALs in the house. The CAL still wows me even today. My review of them, I believe was updated a few years AFTER initial review, as well. I only re-review stuff I really like. That's why the Koss clip-ons and Sportapro were re-reviewed like 20 times. :D

I'd like to try the SHP9500 one day.

Reviews are the last thing on my mind however.

I'd send you mine just for kicks, but it's not stock. I think Axel has no mods on his.

May 17, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #35,393 of 48,579
I currently have a Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset and I'm thinking about replacing it. I find fun and competitive equally important, since I play all types of games. By looking at this guide I am now doubting between the M50X and the Creative Labs Aurvana Live!. However the M50X costs more than twice as much as the Aurvana Live!, I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the price difference. Also how are the M50X and Aurvana Live! compared to the Creative Fatal1ty I currently have?

May 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #35,394 of 48,579
I currently have a Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset and I'm thinking about replacing it. I find fun and competitive equally important, since I play all types of games. By looking at this guide I am now doubting between the M50X and the Creative Labs Aurvana Live!. However the M50X costs more than twice as much as the Aurvana Live!, I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the price difference. Also how are the M50X and Aurvana Live! compared to the Creative Fatal1ty I currently have?
Mad Lust Envy has reviewed both headphones you mentioned.

May 18, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #35,396 of 48,579
CAL > M50 for gaming

Absolutely

M50 is a good headphone for music if you get it below 100 but soundstage and air are virtually nonexistent to be extreme. Unfortunately for the M50 the CAL happens to be both good in music and games/movies.

May 18, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #35,398 of 48,579
Don't you mean the Massdrop TH-600 derivate by/for E-MU?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones

May 18, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #35,399 of 48,579
May 18, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #35,400 of 48,579
oh nice, didn't know about them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back