Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3,916 of 48,568

Quote:
Lint.
You want to keep any small particles away from electrostatics, which is why velour pads or anything that can shed small particles is a very bad idea. On the other hand Stax does use fairly good dustcovers over the drivers - even older Lambdas that had the inner foam rot out usually don't have issues with stuff getting into the drivers. The Koss ESP950 on the other hand...
Maybe I'm the least sweaty fool in the universe but I can wear the O2 for hours at a time without any sweat issues. The old SR-404 I had made my ears itch after a few hours though.

Point taken. Given that the drivers work on the same principle as some air filters, they're naturally going to be dust magnets if not properly protected.

I've thought about at least getting some genuine leather pads, but I'd rather hold off on that until I have a stock SR-Lambda to put them on.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3,917 of 48,568
I know PC gamers would probably kick me in the balls for saying this, but the Crysis 1 Xbox port doesn't look half bad.  It's a nice looking engine, even on the 360...

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #3,920 of 48,568
Is there any optical switch or splitter you recommend to use with the mixamp. I want to use the mix amp for both my PC and PS3.

Optical splitters and manual switchers are CRAP and are bound to not work (I speak from experience). I ended up just forgoing one and manually switching the cables myself.

If its a must, get a good eletronic switcher, like a receiver with multiple inputs and a line out. Bound to be pricey...

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3,921 of 48,568
Hello gamers, I am looking for a decent amp for the q701's. I was thinking of the matrix m stage but if you fellas can list some other ones, it would be appreciated. I would like to spend around $500. There are so many amps out that it's pretty hard to just pick one. I will be using my dt 990's(600) and the amp will also be hooked up to the astro mixamp as well. Thanks,  I have been using the fiio E9 but I want to try something new.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3,922 of 48,568
Schiit Asgard: $250
Schiit Lyr: $450 + $20 for the 6N1P tubes (better than stock tubes)
Audio-GD C-2.2: $400+20-30 for op-amps (shipped) (lots of power for an SS amp, I'd go for MOON for a tube sound to tame 990 treble)
Objective O2: ($150 built)

For the combo of the 990s and Q701, I'd personally go with the Lyr. Should be phenomenal with those cans. Wish I had kept the Lyr to try those two cans with.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #3,923 of 48,568

Quote:
Hello gamers, I am looking for a decent amp for the q701's. I was thinking of the matrix m stage but if you fellas can list some other ones, it would be appreciated. I would like to spend around $500. There are so many amps out that it's pretty hard to just pick one. I will be using my dt 990's(600) and the amp will also be hooked up to the astro mixamp as well. Thanks,  I have been using the fiio E9 but I want to try something new.

Do you already have a DAC?  Because if not you should put some of that budget towards one.  A nice amp can't do much with a crappy source.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #3,924 of 48,568
I will definitely check into those amps, I also bought those two headphones under the advice from this thread and they were worth it so thanks again. NOTE: Can someone point me in the right direction for good cables too lol.  I like good sound quality.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3,926 of 48,568
I dunno about the Lyr with the Q701, regardless of how picky they are about amps they're still sensitive phones.  

Quote:
Um...anyone?

Maybe stick it to the DT 880 plaque on the perforated area?  It's supposed to stick to mesh.  If it doesn't the mod mic is flexible enough that you can stick it anywhere.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3,927 of 48,568

Quote:
Do you already have a DAC?  Because if not you should put some of that budget towards one.  A nice amp can't do much with a crappy source.

I just play on the 360 and if I want to listen to some tunes, I will hook my amp up to my reciever or my other preamp and play cd's from my blu ray player. I have pretty good knowledge of speakers and home theater but for headphones I am still learning. I am not sure what a DAC is lol and I also dont play any games or music from my computer. Thanks

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3,928 of 48,568

Quote:
Um...anyone?

I'm surprised it's not sticking.  Are the DT880 grills super slick or something?

Have you tried sticking on the metal "DT880" badge?

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #3,929 of 48,568
I just play on the 360 and if I want to listen to some tunes, I will hook my amp up to my reciever or my other preamp and play cd's from my blu ray player. I have pretty good knowledge of speakers and home theater but for headphones I am still learning. I am not sure what a DAC is lol and I also dont play any games or music from my computer. Thanks

You won't need a DAC if you're plugging in from RCA outs. If you use a computer or anything with digital outs (like optical out, digital coaxial out), then a DAC is beneficial, as it will be more than likely better than the source you're using now.

As far as gaming, a DAC is unnecessary assuming you use the Mixamp, as its a DAC itself (though not a particularly good one for music).

I went with the Audio GD NFB 5 because its both a DAC+Amp, though it doesn't have line in, so its not going to work with the Mixamp.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,930 of 48,568

Quote:

A DAC is a digital to analog converter, it takes a digital signal and converts it to a line level analog signal.  Lots of devices have them built in, but the idea here it to use a better one.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back