Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #3,886 of 48,562
The bumps on the Q's.... I have a very sore spot on the top of my head.... :frowning2:

This is gonna take some time to get used to again.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #3,887 of 48,562

Quote:
The bumps on the Q's.... I have a very sore spot on the top of my head....
frown.gif

This is gonna take some time to get used to again.

Just pad them.  Don't get used to it.

It's worth adding a $2 pad to fix the comfort on my $250 headphones.  You can see my padding on the previous page's pic.

I never have to worry about those bumps again
k701smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #3,888 of 48,562
Q701 vs K702 thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/594927/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-comparison-review

There's nothing new to read, for people who already read my impressions from this thread.  I just wanted to put it down in a new thread so people can search and find it...

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #3,890 of 48,562

Quote:
Has anyone tried dolby headphone with the ath-pro700mk2? It's supposed to have a lot better imaging than the m50.

I thought they were supposed to be bass monsters
basshead.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #3,891 of 48,562
They are bass monsters but the mids and treble are still clear especially with the m50 pads. People have said they work very well with movies. I figured they might be a good gaming headphone that would let you feel every explosion but you could still tell where your enemies are at.

Also has anyone tried the corsair vegeance 1300 with dolby headphone? They are only $80 on newegg and they have a lot of good reviews.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #3,892 of 48,562
Chico, I can't see how the extra padding wouldwork for me, because I already have to fully extend the Qs to fit my long head. Thats probably why I get so much pressure from the headband.

Not enough to return them though. The Qs have a sound that I wish the PC360 had. The PC360 sounds thin and boring in comparison.

Apparently my Audio GD stuff was shipped today... can't wait.

I also pre-ordered the PS Vita with an 8gb card, Uncharted, and Ridge Racer. Oh, my wallet...

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #3,893 of 48,562

Quote:
Chico, I can't see how the extra padding wouldwork for me, because I already have to fully extend the Qs to fit my long head. Thats probably why I get so much pressure from the headband.

Not enough to return them though. The Qs have a sound that I wish the PC360 had. The PC360 sounds thin and boring in comparison.

Oh that's right.  I forgot.  Your a freak.

=\ 

Hmm... wonder what else you can do...

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3,894 of 48,562
It was the same with the K701, but I got used to them and they became one of the most comfy headphones I ever wore.

Just takes time. I didn't have much time to use them other than the first day.

I did use them a few hours ago while grinding on FFXIII-2. They put a smile to my face, with how clean their sound is. They are just dreamy to use. Not going to win any awards with their lack of sub bass, but everything else (including mid bass) is right where I'd want it to be with any headphones.

Its too bad people think they are the same as the K701. They most certainly are not.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,895 of 48,562

Quote:
Its too bad people think they are the same as the K701. They most certainly are not.

You lie! It's just variations between pairs or..placebo. Same driver = same sound.
Sorry, I'm kidding. You don't know how many times I've heard this. So tired of it!
I love my Q701 and one of those who found it to be a nice improvement over the K702.

I have no luck at all. Never ever had issues with the Q701 or K702 bumps, but yet I can't use the DT-880 AT ALL due to the design. I bet there's only 2 people on earth who can't wear the DT-880 comfortably. Sometimes I wish it had the design of the DT-770 Pro 80. I could wear that for 24 hours straight.

BTW the K601 has no bumps at all. If you can ever score one for under $100 it's worth a try. I saw one on Amazon the other day for $100 and couldn't believe it! Just imagine a Q701 that's warmer with more sub-bass (like 2-3% more and more rolled off treble and more forward mids. I think the K601 has the flattest graph I've ever seen, yet it doesn't sound that way. Not sure how it's graph compares to that of the Q701.

I've said it before, but K601 reminds me of a mix of an HD-600 and maybe a K702. Weird, I know.. I really need to do a Q701 vs K601 review. K601 definitely doesn't have the detail of the Q701 though. Little better than the HD-600 at least.

I love posting this graph:
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3,896 of 48,562
I get the impression that you could get a little bit more length out of the headband by reducing the curvature of the brushed aluminum bits.  I can't find as large an image as I'd like but it almost looks like the bumps are stuck onto the surface?  If that's the case you might be able to just slice them off.  
Quote:
Problem is, I'm not good with my hands and the like.
Both my Q's cables are green.
frown.gif

BTW, I added Moon opamps for my NFB 5, which will give it a tubelike sound, which should be nice for the Qs.

It uses one of these, right?  Just three wires I take it?  I'm not quite ready to quote a price, but I suspect I will be soon if you're interested.  

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #3,897 of 48,562
I remember someone modding the 601 headband to the 701/2. The person said it wasn't all that easy to do, FWIR.

I'm actually someone who doesn't find the Premium Beyers all that comfortable. The pads are heavenly, but the design and fit... didn't feel right. The Pros are much better, IMHO. That clamp just feels more natural. But then it starts hurting my jaw. Aw well.

But no more halfway cans. I think I'll put up the PC360 for sale soon, no reason to have so many cans.

Is it weird that I that I think I'll be using the Qs a lot more than the Denons? Something about open+velours that just makes me naturally reach for the Qs.

Why the hell do people on head-fi insist on leather? IF the HE-400 was sold with velours, I'd have bought them. But NOOOOO, they just had to go with the HOT sweaty stuff. Yes, I know the pads can be rolled with HE500 pads, but the sound changes. I'm a stock person.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #3,898 of 48,562
I get the impression that you could get a little bit more length out of the headband by reducing the curvature of the brushed aluminum bits.  I can't find as large an image as I'd like but it almost looks like the bumps are stuck onto the surface?  If that's the case you might be able to just slice them off.  

It uses one of these, right?  Just three wires I take it?  I'm not quite ready to quote a price, but I suspect I will be soon if you're interested.  

Yeah, that's the one. What, you'll make me a nice pretty cable? :) But honestly, I wouldn't buy a cable for them unless I was going balanced, which I don't see myself doing anytime soon.

And yes, why the hell did I not consider bending the wires? That should definitely help with the extension. I'll try it when I get home.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #3,899 of 48,562
We'll see how nice a cable I can make when my cotton tubing arrives.  I think it might be caught up in customs or something, it's coming from Partsconnexion, which is in Canada.

For bending those bits, probably just some cardboard to preserve the finish and pliers.  

I don't actually find my A900's with the W5000 pads to be very sweaty, for real deal leather seems to handle the heat better.  Supposedly you can actually put some variety of AKG pads onto the HE-400s as well.  

I have been curious if the DT 770 velours would keep the HE-400's stock sound the same.  

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #3,900 of 48,562
I don't find the DT770 pads too comfortable. Certainly a far cry from the 880/990 pads. As far as pleather/leather, only the M50s and CALs have impressed me with their comfort.

The secret is to have a small amount of contact. The problems with stuff like the Denons is that they rest on too much skin. The Sony XBs are praised for comfort. I'd call them torture devices once the heat builds up (which is very quickly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back