Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3,856 of 48,562
Quote:
If I were to score them right now:
Fun: 7/10 (not enough sub bass to truly make them on the level of the DT880s fun wise, but close)
Competitive: 9/10 (need more testing, but everything seems to be spot on. This may change to a higher score, but not lower.)

I find the Q701 more fun than PC360s (which you also gave a 7), as they have a good deal more bass and overall body
rolleyes.gif

Competitive I'd say 9 is about right.  Still can't match the holographic imaging of the AD700s.  The PC360 still remains very good at imaging as well. I'd gladly trade that last point for the Q701s signature.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,857 of 48,562

Quote:
This talk about the mod mic is abruptly giving me ideas on integrating a mic into my HE-400's...  Rather than sticking it to the side, I could make a custom cable where the mod mic is braided into the left channel cable as part of a braided cable. 

The appeal of the mod mic over a more integrated mic is that it pops off when not in use - which is the majority of the time.  I guess if you had two sets of cables this would be fine, otherwise you'd just have a mic dangling near your left earcup all the time.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,859 of 48,562

I find the Q701 more fun than PC360s (which you also gave a 7), as they have a good deal more bass and overall body
rolleyes.gif

Competitive I'd say 9 is about right.  Still can't match the holographic imaging of the AD700s.  The PC360 still remains very good at imaging as well. I'd gladly trade that last point for the Q701s signature.

I told you not to compare scores, fool! :p

Fine, I'd give them a 7.5 for fun, better than PC360 (7), not as good as the 880 (8). :D

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3,860 of 48,562

Quote:
I told you not to compare scores, fool!
tongue.gif

Fine, I'd give them a 7.5 for fun, better than PC360 (7), not as good as the 880 (8).
biggrin.gif

I want to know exactly what audio measurement equipment you used for the scores, it's specifications and what it's tolerance is.  I also hope you didn't use any sighted testing for your scores, otherwise they're invalid.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3,861 of 48,562
I have a studio that I share with the makers of BEATS AUDIO. The strict and controlled testing was done with various age groups, and remarkably, 100% of the people tested all came out saying that the Q701 deserves a 7.5. Naturally, having not heard the Q701 myself, I posted the scores based off the average score of said age groups.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3,862 of 48,562
Well I got my Stax gamma's in and hooked up to my pioneer vsx-3300. It's almost been .5 hours listening so far. So the charge should almost be complete. So far they seem really good. Sometimes they wow me. I'm listening to http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02278/ at the moment. I'm checking to see If i heard a discharge or if someone stepped on a piece of paper during the recording. IDK but something happened somewhere and it startled me good. "must have been a discharge or something happend IRL and I heard it"

The cable would be a HUGE issue but I'm using a headphone rack kidda thing and has nice smooth hooks so It's holding the cord off my arm and I can sit here and not be bothered by or worried with the cord.

I don't know if the vsx-3300 is the right power amplifier to use but they look real good next to each other. I would use My STA-2000 but the pots and switches needs cleaned before I hook it up to the stax.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,863 of 48,562

Quote:
I have a studio that I share with the makers of BEATS AUDIO. The strict and controlled testing was done with various age groups, and remarkably, 100% of the people tested all came out saying that the Q701 deserves a 7.5. Naturally, having not heard the Q701 myself, I posted the scores based off the average score of said age groups.

LOL.... Gad Daaam Beets!!!  They all sound like soot and poo! Dirty Rotten Beets, might as well stuff dirt in my ears.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,864 of 48,562

Quote:

The appeal of the mod mic over a more integrated mic is that it pops off when not in use - which is the majority of the time.  I guess if you had two sets of cables this would be fine, otherwise you'd just have a mic dangling near your left earcup all the time.

Yeah it would be a second cable, the benefit being that I just have a single (dual entry) cable instead of two wires, unless you know of a better mic for this application, though I suspect the flexibility/posablility of the mod mic would be useful here.  

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,865 of 48,562
Quote:

I hope Quincy Jones himself authorized and oversaw the testing.  He personally hand builds each of his headphones (even wrapping the voice coils hundreds of times by hand on each driver).  He also tunes them with a tuning fork forged from a diamond/adamantium alloy to ensure the purest frequency response free of adulteration and corruption.

Quote:
LOL.... Gad Daaam Beets!!!  They all sound like soot and poo! Dirty Rotten Beets, might as well stuff dirt in my ears.

Last time I checked, Dr. Dre was a fully licensed audiophile and prescriber of prescription strength audio products.  Are you?  I don't think so.....

His headphones are "High Hefintion...With precision-engineered, advanced speaker design".

He has a reputation to uphold among his fellow audiophiles, and I seriously doubt he would sell overpriced mediocre headphones..........seriously doubt it.....

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3,866 of 48,562
Chico, this might be a silly question, but does the Q701 and K702 have the same exact connection for the removeable cable? I might ask SWZ to make me one of his kick ass micmods. I'd probably just ship him the 20 footer for him to make a mic mod on one, and maybe then a balanced...maybe.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3,867 of 48,562

Quote:
Chico, this might be a silly question, but does the Q701 and K702 have the same exact connection for the removeable cable? I might ask SWZ to make me one of his kick ass micmods. I'd probably just ship him the 20 footer for him to make a mic mod on one, and maybe then a balanced...maybe.

Ya, Identical (min-xlr).  They cables, apart from color, appear identical too.  When I got them I swapped their cables to make sure they weren't affecting the sound, but they don't. 

Wouldn't you still have a mic stuck on your headphones that way?  Or am I missing something....

I saw SWZ sold his K702 a week or two ago...

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,868 of 48,562
Agh, I dunno, I think I prefer just keeping the PC360, after all.

Wish someone would swapme their black K702 cable for my green one. The green is a bit out of place with the white and black...

I could get a fancy braided cable, but then that's just driving up the cost which is unnecessary.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3,869 of 48,562

Quote:

Why not get a modmic?  You can just store it in a box near you xbox then whip it out if needed.  That pic of your pc360 headband didn't look that bad....

Wish someone would swap me their black K702 cable for my green one. The green is a bit out of place with the white and black...

Technically there is green stitching on the headband it matches :wink:  I actually like the green as I can instantly find my cable when I'm looking for it and tell it apart from the modmic cable.  My Q701s came with a black cable too, albeit 20 feet.  Maybe you can post a "for trade" for a K702 cable...

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #3,870 of 48,562

Quote:
Wish someone would swapme their black K702 cable for my green one. The green is a bit out of place with the white and black...
I could get a fancy braided cable, but then that's just driving up the cost which is unnecessary.

Well yeah it's expensive if you buy them from ALO or the like, but I spent like $2 on a neutrik plug, 10 dollars on some silver plated copper wire, and then I spent $20 on cotton tubing to monosleeve it (each wire gets it's own tube, or at least that's the plan), and honestly I could have had that price lower if I had just shopped around for 40 odd feet of bulk shoelace off ebay.  I guess the guys at ALO audio just place a huge value on their man hours.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back