Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3,901 of 48,562

Quote:
I have no luck at all. Never ever had issues with the Q701 or K702 bumps, but yet I can't use the DT-880 AT ALL due to the design. I bet there's only 2 people on earth who can't wear the DT-880 comfortably. Sometimes I wish it had the design of the DT-770 Pro 80. I could wear that for 24 hours straight.

What's the difference in design between a DT 770 and DT 880? I thought that it was just down to a difference in earpad materials.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3,902 of 48,562
The Premium Beyers feel different on the head than the Pros. I think the loose fit on the Premiums take away from the comfort. The Pros don't even clamp that hard, and feel secure.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #3,903 of 48,562

Quote:

What's the difference in design between a DT 770 and DT 880? I thought that it was just down to a difference in earpad materials.

The DT-880 Pro and Premium have VERY shallow cups. I THINK think this is the problem for me. What makes no sense is that I need to nearly fully expand the DT-880 just to get them to fit right. I don't even have some huge head.

The DT-770 Pro had much deeper cups and my ears didn't touch the foam in front of the driver and I felt like I had more room. Somehow the pads felt larger, but this would be impossible. It also was a combination of the deeper pads and the design.

I even tried the DT-990 Pro to see if those did the trick, but they're not any better.

I think if I got the very old '05 version, they might be similar to the DT-770 Pro 80. The Pro 80 was one of the most comfortable headphones I ever had.

For the DT-880 I even tried some gel and leather pads..no luck at all.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #3,904 of 48,562
Tdock, I don't think so. I believe its because the 770 pads retain their shape better when worn. They are considerably firmer than the 880/990 pads which are super soft and once worn really squish down considerably, which is why I have no doubt they make your ears touch the driver padding. The 770 pads aren't anywhere near as soft, but you'd have to force the cups on to your head for them to squish down on the same level as the 880/990 pads.

My assumption anyways. :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #3,905 of 48,562

Quote:
Why the hell do people on head-fi insist on leather?

I have no idea, though it may be more of a case of "Why the hell do headphone manufacturers insist on leather/pleather?"

Consider me first in line if anyone starts making velour pads for the Stax Lambda series...I still find them very comfortable overall and wouldn't trade them for most other headphones for home use in spite of the pleather pads, but that doesn't mean I won't be shopping for aftermarket velour pads at the first available opportunity to make them even more comfortable!

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #3,906 of 48,562
People call velours itchy... I only had that issue with the AD700. Every other velour has been heavenly.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #3,908 of 48,562
Tdockweiler: Sounds like the problem I had with the Shure 440. I even tried stuffing styrofoam tubes under the pads to give my ears room to breathe--no luck.

If you want the old DT 880, it'll be the '03 version, not '05. '05 is the new version.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #3,910 of 48,562

Quote:
People call velours itchy... I only had that issue with the AD700. Every other velour has been heavenly.

Quote:
I'd rather have itchy over sweaty. Velour actually doesn't make me itch.

This. Can't stand the leather at all.

I can play or listen to music for hours with velour pads, while with leather ones I start to sweat a lot and have to stop whatever I'm doing. Honestly, I'm finding the velour pads on the 990 premiums even more comfortable than my 555HD. It took a while to get used to, but now I feel like they're really, really comfy.

Just one question MLE. Do you play FFXIII-2 with 5.1 or just in stereo mode?

I'm really considering buying the Q701, but with the PS vita coming out soon I wouldn't have enough money. Darn it!

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,911 of 48,562
Nain, I play all my games in Dolby Digital 5.1.The only games I play in stereo are portable games, and that's because there is no way to hook them up to get real 5.1.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3,912 of 48,562
Alright, thank you!

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3,914 of 48,562
I have no idea, though it may be more of a case of "Why the hell do headphone manufacturers insist on leather/pleather?"

Consider me first in line if anyone starts making velour pads for the Stax Lambda series...I still find them very comfortable overall and wouldn't trade them for most other headphones for home use in spite of the pleather pads, but that doesn't mean I won't be shopping for aftermarket velour pads at the first available opportunity to make them even more comfortable!

Lint.

You want to keep any small particles away from electrostatics, which is why velour pads or anything that can shed small particles is a very bad idea. On the other hand Stax does use fairly good dustcovers over the drivers - even older Lambdas that had the inner foam rot out usually don't have issues with stuff getting into the drivers. The Koss ESP950 on the other hand...

Maybe I'm the least sweaty fool in the universe but I can wear the O2 for hours at a time without any sweat issues. The old SR-404 I had made my ears itch after a few hours though.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #3,915 of 48,562

Quote:
Maybe I'm the least sweaty fool in the universe but I can wear the O2 for hours at a time without any sweat issues. The old SR-404 I had made my ears itch after a few hours though.

Like I said I think this comes down to pleather vs. leather.  The 404's use pleather but the Omega 2's use real leather on the part of the pad that touches your head.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back