Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #3,931 of 48,568
So if the amp doesnt have a line in, it wont work with mixamp? I would not be able to use rca cables and the mixamp? 

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #3,932 of 48,568
Phos, chicolom: Thanks for the responses guys. I tried the perforated area, and it did stick initially, but as I was putting the headphone on my head, the Modmic came off. After that it didn't seem possible to stick it back, because the glue lost some of its adhesiveness.

Maybe I'm just applying it wrong. Like, how long should I wait after swabbing the surface? And how long should I wait after sticking the Modmic on, before using it?

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #3,933 of 48,568

Quote:
Phos, chicolom: Thanks for the responses guys. I tried the perforated area, and it did stick initially, but as I was putting the headphone on my head, the Modmic came off. After that it didn't seem possible to stick it back, because the glue lost some of its adhesiveness.

Maybe I'm just applying it wrong. Like, how long should I wait after swabbing the surface? And how long should I wait after sticking the Modmic on, before using it?

It shouldn't take that long.  A minute or two would seem like enough after swabbing.  When I attached the base I held it pushed with my finger for 30 seconds to make sure it was stuck.  You should have another base (comes with two).  I bet modmic company has boatloads of the bases they can send if you screw it up...

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #3,935 of 48,568

Quote:
i wonder if anyone has tried HD518's soundstage capabilities. I only saw HD598 and HD558 on this thread.

Anyone?
Hmmm.. I guess I'll just be needing to find a store were I can listen to all of them.
My budget can only go for the AD700 or HD518s.
And the AD700 isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing and the "wings"  aren't helping on the comfort part either.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3,936 of 48,568

Quote:
I went with the Audio GD NFB 5 because its both a DAC+Amp, though it doesn't have line in, so its not going to work with the Mixamp.

So no analog inputs on that?!  It's nice running the mixamp into the M-stage and getting that extra soundstage boost.  I wonder what other cheapish amps can do that.  Maybe you should sell the E9 and get an m-stage ;p

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3,937 of 48,568
Nah, I'm good with the E9 as my Mixamp mate, though I don't find it necessary with either of my main cans. I like them as is just off the Mixamp. The E9 is there for if/when I need a boost when chatting while using the Qs.

But yeah, no analog inputs. Doesn't bother me, as the NFB5 is too big to be lugging it to my room for gaming. Lol.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3,938 of 48,568

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's any way to get Dolby effects with a USB dac. There's not right? Do any games have Dolby headphone coded into them?

On consoles or PC?  There are a few Dolby Headphones USB DAC's, such as the one Corsair includes with one of their headsets, but I don't think any work on consoles.  

On the PC side of things there are a few games that include Rapture 3D which is better than dolby headphone, and it's possible to get it working with a lot of OpenAL games because it's just an OpenAl implimentation.  I don't think any include built in Dolby headphone.  I've heard the PC version of TF2 includes a HRTF algorithm, I dunno if for one it's actually HRTS and if the 360 version also has it.  

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,939 of 48,568
Yo, no lie, I'm seriously in love with the Q701. Jesus. Headphones shouldn't sound this refined at this price range. :k701smile:

Listening to Gramatik, and OMG, the bass.... where the hell did it come from? Lol. These are definitely ample in bass.

BTW, got my PC360 up for sale (link on my sig)

$120 total for US.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #3,940 of 48,568

Quote:
On consoles or PC?  There are a few Dolby Headphones USB DAC's, such as the one Corsair includes with one of their headsets, but I don't think any work on consoles.  

On the PC side of things there are a few games that include Rapture 3D which is better than dolby headphone, and it's possible to get it working with a lot of OpenAL games because it's just an OpenAl implimentation.  I don't think any include built in Dolby headphone.  I've heard the PC version of TF2 includes a HRTF algorithm, I dunno if for one it's actually HRTS and if the 360 version also has it.  

i meant a good one lol...want the freedom of using my own gear. guess i cant have a cake and eat it too

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #3,941 of 48,568

Quote:
Yo, no lie, I'm seriously in love with the Q701. Jesus. Headphones shouldn't sound this refined at this price range.
k701smile.gif

Listening to Gramatik, and OMG, the bass.... where the hell did it come from? Lol. These are definitely ample in bass.
BTW, got my PC360 up for sale (link on my sig)
$120 total for US.

How do you compare the Q701s to the HD598s?  I'm considering upgrading my HD555 and Samson SR850 with one of these headphones.  I primarily use them for gaming, but will pull them out for music as well.  I'm a drummer and pretty much listen to all kinds of music from Rap to Country.  First I should probably ask, are either the Q701 or the HD598 a worthy upgrade from what I have?  Also, I hope none of these headphones are overly bright (Sibilant Highs).  My only problem with my SR850 is that I don't like how gun shots sound through them due to the emphasized highs.  My HD555s produce more realistic gun shots to my ears because they are warmer.  The SR850 make them sound more like cap guns than true gun fire.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3,942 of 48,568

Quote:

How do you compare the Q701s to the HD598s?  I'm considering upgrading my HD555 and Samson SR850 with one of these headphones.  I primarily use them for gaming, but will pull them out for music as well.  I'm a drummer and pretty much listen to all kinds of music from Rap to Country.  First I should probably ask, are either the Q701 or the HD598 a worthy upgrade from what I have?  Also, I hope none of these headphones are overly bright (Sibilant Highs).  My only problem with my SR850 is that I don't like how gun shots sound through them due to the emphasized highs.  My HD555s produce more realistic gun shots to my ears because they are warmer.  The SR850 make them sound more like cap guns than true gun fire.

Thanks!

I am dying to know this as well. As I am probably putting my HD598s up for sale this weekend. The DT990pros will suffice for now. Saints Row 3 + DT's is magical all those glorious explosions and bouncing metal in all directions.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3,943 of 48,568
The HD598 is more like the K701 than the Q701. The HD598 is outright boring compared to the Qs. The HD598's mids are more forward and richer, while its bass is a step behind the Qs.

The Q701s treble is never sibilant. They are smooth, but with enough sparkle to satisfy me, and I'm a treblehead.

The bass on the Qs is just better. Drums sound spectacular off them. Its the deep low bass where the Qs don't excelin, but the punchy mid bass is stellar.

I'd say the Q701 sounds of higher quality overall. The HD598 is great for analytical gaming, but nothing outside of its very involving mids will grab at you. The Q701 is more engaging as a whole.

I'd recommend the Qs every time, over the HD598.

I wanna mention that I'm very sensitive to mid bass. Mid bass tends to giveme headaches if its too emphasized. The Q701 has strong midbass, yet the way it hits never gets annoying, which is quite a feat. The impact diffuses in a way that it doesn't feel like a hammer hitting the side of my head. Its quite satisfying. Its not a bass monster, but its surely not lacking in impact. If a song calls for it, the bass will be there.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,944 of 48,568
Quote:
I'm wondering if there's any way to get Dolby effects with a USB dac. There's not right? Do any games have Dolby headphone coded into them?

If you have a Creative soundcard in your PC (cheap one is only $25) you can bypass the cheap internal hardware and pipe the software processing to any DAC you'd like. It's CMSS instead of Dolby, but it works quite well. I posted a step-by-step guide over in the Nameless PC thread.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3,945 of 48,568
As for the HD-598 vs Q701...
I know MLE might have expected this, but I don't agree that the HD-598 is closer to the K701.
The HD-598 is a very very good headphone if mids are a high priority and bass and treble are not as high on your list of priorities. I don't find it bass light or close to it, but it does have much more treble to my ears than the HD-600 and HD-650. I personally don't find it to be treble heavy or close.

With my setup the Q701 isn't quite as warm as the HD-598. Close. Often, the HD-598 seems like it has much thicker mids than the Q701, but  NOT like the HD-600 or HD-650. It has more forward mids than the Q701 and that alone can often make the HD-598 more engaging for me than the Q701. It depends on what does it for you. The mids of the HD-598 are addicting. They're not so forward as to annoy you.

The HD-598 would be better for those that have a lot of bad recordings and might want to slightly take the edge off them. Some of the Jpop I have is just a pain to listen to. With my HD-598 they're made more listenable, but not tamed as much as they are on the HD-600/650. The HD-598 IMO isn't even remotely cold or analytical. q701 is better for those that want to hear their music the way it's supposed to be, without making it sound any better than it really is. The Q701 is very, very slightly forgiving..sometimes.

The HD-598 to MY ears is very smooth sounding. I could listen to them all day without fatigue. Despite the forward mids, it's very balanced sounding. I could fall asleep while listening to the HD-598, but yet it doesn't bore me like the HD-600. I know this makes no sense!

The Q701 is an upgrade, but they're really so different. I guess I do agree now that the bass on the Q701 is better. Q701 also has a larger soundstage.

With both headphones it comes down to preferences. HD-598 is a keeper for me because it often sounds better for female vocals and random (bad) pop music.

BTW the Q701 is much, much clearer sounding too. That's another huge advantage. Q701 is also not much more expensive and has better build quality.

The HD-598 is closer to the HD-600, but has less bass, more forward mids and more treble. Definitely a larger soundstage. I've found it to have more detail, but many won't agree. I hate the HD-555, but somehow I love the HD-598. Even did the 595 mod on the HD-555. I'm not a fan of Sennheiser headphones, but HD-598 is really very good. Q701 and HD-598 make a good pair. IMO the HD-598 is better than the HD-600 and HD-650. Again, for that it depends on preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back