Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 29, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #35,131 of 48,578

I haven't heard the ATH-AD700X as I loathe the Audio Technica wings. They never fit correctly so I haven't heard any AT model with them. The positional accuracy is decent but it's not earth shatteringly good. For $60 it's definitely worth it in my book.

How good would you say they are on a scale of 1-10 for positional accuracy? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #35,133 of 48,578

:eek:

Look, I know how people feel about CoD, but I'm gonna let you know right now. CoD4 is a masterpiece. CoD4 is literally what got me into headphone gaming. CoD4 is the reason why this thread even came to be.

A remaster of that game, is all that is needed to bring me back to online multiplayer destruction. Screw everything else. If you guys wanna play with me, this will literally be the game where you will find me in most of the time, once it is released.

So slick of them to reply to a nearly 2 year old tweet, with two emojis that say all that need to be said.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZX7UgzAHoE[/VIDEO]

Doubt they will give us PC guys mod support :frowning2:.

But I do look forward to playing it. I have the OG COD MW but have not touched it in 2 years.

Oh the memories. ...

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #35,134 of 48,578
Doubt they will give us PC guys mod support
frown.gif

But I do look forward to playing it. I have the OG COD MW but have not touched it in 2 years.

Oh the memories. ...

Modding support is in closed beta for BO3 on Steam at the moment, so you never know. We are suppose to be getting server browser, personal unranked dedicated servers, map editor, etc. They also released a standalone BO3 multiplayer version that only costs $15, so the current dev/studio are doing a lot of things right. It's a fun game, but it gets repetitive on PC, as everyone just plays TDM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPSMIZ8Hmxg

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #35,135 of 48,578

Modding support is in closed beta for BO3 on Steam at the moment, so you never know. We are suppose to be getting server browser, personal unranked dedicated servers, map editor, etc. They also released a standalone BO3 multiplayer version that only costs $15, so the current dev/studio are doing a lot of things right. It's a fun game, but it gets repetitive on PC, as everyone just plays TDM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPSMIZ8Hmxg

Sooo, is the ProMod coming back?

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #35,137 of 48,578
I got my pair of SHP9500 delivered today and they're so dam comfy. I had the MA900 which is frequently regarded as one of the most comfy headphones ever, but these are much more comfy for me, personally. The earcup material is really weird. It feels like a super soft pair of silky, mesh, basketball shorts, as weird as that might sound. The headband I can't even feel at all if I extend the headband notch up from my snug fit. The only thing I feel are the cups slightly resting against the sides of my head. Been wearing them 3 hours so far, and no discomfort or listening fatigue at all. The clamp is perfect, and with some break-in, I see them becoming ear pillows.

Another thing, the photos online don't do these any justice. They look far better in person. And when I opened the box, I was surprised how small they are compared to the perception I had from viewing photos online. They look bulky and heavy online, but they're rather compact and light for the size. I wish they were all blacked out, without all the white lettering and silver frame, but not a big deal.

As for positioning and sound separation in games, it does well. They're not as good as the MA900 I had, but I would say they're on par or extremely similar with the HD598SE I also owned. If I had to rate them on my experience for sound positioning, with MA900 being a 10, as it's the best I've ever heard, I would give the 9500 a solid 6.7 rating.

I think these get a lot of hype for a reason, but some people go way overboard with it saying they beat out $300+ headphones, as the MA900 I had are a few leagues ahead of these, but I grew bored of the overly thin sound signature of them. I think at $60, these are an absolute steal and I would recommend them over the more pricey 598SE.

Is there even anything comparable at the price of $60? The only similar cans I've heard at this price were the AD500x when they were on sale for $55. Now, when people say lacking bass, the ad500x takes the crown. Those things sounded like they have no bass at all, as if someone moved the bass frequencies to 0 on the EQ. They also gave me fatiguing headaches with really short listening sessions, and the comfort was bad, as the cups just hung off my ears.

Phillips really aced the balance of this headphone between price, comfort, and sound. GG

May 1, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #35,139 of 48,578
MLE is known to my partner as "that man on the internet who makes you keep spending money when we're saving for a house".  I have tried quite a few midrange headphones now and not been blown away by any really.  I do lean towards the X2 more meaning I probbaly appreciate more bass than what I get on the K7XX/12. 
I know it becomes a case of diminishing returns but what is the sort of next level so to speak in the £500/$650 dollar range?  I hear PLanar Magnetic thrown around a lot.  I'm not really keen on closed back though.

May 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #35,140 of 48,578
Hi,

I have something to share in the virtual surround department:

I took some ingame footage(OBS, audiodevice set to an unused one, and recording only the mic with "what u hear"), comparing Soundblaster Z's SBX-Surround, with the Surround equivalent of the SoundblasterX G5.

"The Division" (apparently 7.1):

"Battlefield 4" (apparently 5.1):

"Crysis 2" (apparently 7.1)

I also made one video comparing SB-Z's SBX vs. BlasterX Acoustic Engine Lite, with the latter also running on the SB-Z set to 5.1.

May 1, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #35,141 of 48,578
Any specific reason past ergonomics that earphones aren't part of the discussion here? I've had good experiance with cheap in-ear vs on-ear headphones where positioning is concerned in the past.

May 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #35,142 of 48,578
So I've been doing some research and the magni and modi setup seems really nice for PC and console gaming.
What I'm curious about is how it would compare to a all in one solution like the SMSL sd793-ii for $70 compared to the $300 magni and modi Uber setup?
Price isint a issue, just curious on how much of a improvement it would be since I've never had much experience with amps.

May 1, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #35,143 of 48,578
So I've been doing some research and the magni and modi setup seems really nice for PC and console gaming.
What I'm curious about is how it would compare to a all in one solution like the SMSL sd793-ii for $70 compared to the $300 magni and modi Uber setup?
Price isint a issue, just curious on how much of a improvement it would be since I've never had much experience with amps.

Remember that M&M combo is stereo only, You'd need an additional device to act as a virtual surround processor.

May 1, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #35,144 of 48,578
I'd sooner look into an Essence STX II than a stack of lower cost seperates provided your PC has a quality power-supply. I prefered my original STX to the Bifrost back in the day.

May 1, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #35,145 of 48,578
Hi,

I have something to share in the virtual surround department:

I took some ingame footage(OBS, audiodevice set to an unused one, and recording only the mic with "what u hear"), comparing Soundblaster Z's SBX-Surround, with the Surround equivalent of the SoundblasterX G5.

Thanks for these. I'll give them a listen, and if they sound good, I'll put them up on the first page.

edit: First complaint for the first video (the only one I've seen so far). You should set the surround to at least 67% IMHO. 100% even better. Default I believe is 67% which is a proper gauge for surround. 33% is reducing the surround effect, and doesn't encapsulate the expectation of surround effect for others. So yes, if you can do these tests with surround at 67 or higher, I'd appreciate it. Especially on SBX Surround. I don't like the other one at all, which isn't doing rear surrounds properly.

edit 2: The second video, the SBX Surround really showcased how well it does rear cues at about 2:20. The G5 sounded horrible in rear audio cues.

edit 3: Video 3 (Crysis 2), there was almost nothing to get a hold of in terms of surround cues other than the steam at about 2:30 and some sparks. The BXAE surround doesn't sound like it's doing rear surround at all.

edit: 4, the last video didn't do much in the way of proper surround.

if you can, do tests the way you did the BF4 vid, teasting the surround with the plane's audio cue. A strong focal, consistent point is always best to showcase how well surround works on a DSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back