Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #35,101 of 48,578
It's a dynamic, so I can't hold the 350 to the same pedigree as their planars.

The graph looks pretty good outside a strong 5khz section, which may be problematic.

Who knows how it sounds in actual practice. Soundstage may not be great, etc. Guess we'll know when people get their hands on it.

You know how I had to voice my disappointment in them focusing on thw wrong headphone, when we've been clamoring for an actual HE-450 for like ever now. Massdrop is listening though, which is a good sign for the future. I love my HE-400, and if MD can make a legitimate successor, and not these bogus ones that don't take after the original, I may become an audiophile again.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #35,102 of 48,578
Yeah, I was going to share some similar thoughts in there but you beat me to it. Hopefully Massdrop will take heed to what you said.

I'm fairly confident it will be good for gaming, though. Soundstage may even be slightly bigger with it being a dynamic.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #35,103 of 48,578
So will this new Hifiman be the next go to ~$100 headphone for gaming? I know it's (still) not what we are looking for in a true 400 successor, but being a flat/neutral open dynamic at that price may be worth recommending over the regulars now.

From what I've read the he-300 became pretty bassy with different pads and a felt removal mod. Maybe the same will be true with these. 99 bucks shipped is pretty affordable. I'll probably check them out... Ship date isn't till August that'll be a long wait!

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #35,105 of 48,578
It's a dynamic, so I can't hold the 350 to the same pedigree as their planars.

The graph looks pretty good outside a strong 5khz section, which may be problematic.

Who knows how it sounds in actual practice. Soundstage may not be great, etc. Guess we'll know when people get their hands on it.

You know how I had to voice my disappointment in them focusing on thw wrong headphone, when we've been clamoring for an actual HE-450 for like ever now. Massdrop is listening though, which is a good sign for the future. I love my HE-400, and if MD can make a legitimate successor, and not these bogus ones that don't take after the original, I may become an audiophile again.

What would be better for gaming? K712, K7xx, HE-400, HE-400i or HE-560
non competitive and no online, only for my home.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #35,106 of 48,578
Hey guys, a month ago I asked for an SBX equivalent for the Xonar U3 - something cheap that can give me some VSS with optical out for my external DAC (Oppo HA-1). Seems like there aren't any cheap solutions but I know the Omni can send SBX via optical out.

Since then I've leaned that the Omni uses software SBX as opposed to G5 and X7 which use hardware accelerated SBX via its internal multi core Axx1 processor. Do you notice any difference between the Omni and G5 purely for SBX? I will be bypassing the actual DAC.

I really wish cheaper solutions like the G1 had optical out. I also have been following the thread and the recommendations for OOYH but I can't make it work consistently with my laptop. Lots of crackling and when it does work I don't like the reverb. It just doesn't seem like it's worth $150 to me.

I've gotten so frustrated with Razer surround that I uninstalled it haha.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #35,107 of 48,578
iMac,
I remember.
I guess the other option I didn't point out, was you can just buy the SBX software separately from creative, without any hardware. Then you can use pretty much anything that connects to your PC.

The whole "software vs hardware" debate is quite overblown. I've talked to Nameless about it, essentially the X-Fi series cards unlocked certain sound features in legacy games, but those games are all 10 years old now. And, no matter what DSP you use, it's still software being run on a processor... The difference is just is that processor on a separate device or one more task for our super-powerful-multi-core CPUs? Sound should be the same unless you're having trouble getting a clean output signal from your computer. Generally I recommend USB 2 ports on the motherboard (rear of the computer) or an optical port, NOT the ones that would be on the front of a computer case.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #35,108 of 48,578
So, guys, I don't know if any of you saw the Newegg deal for a Turtle Beach DXL1 package for $21 free ship, and a $20 rebate, but I got one so I could try out the DSS2.

We didn't take the DSS2 seriously, but it's actually a pretty great device. First impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/360_30#post_12538959

More to come after work.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #35,109 of 48,578
iMac,
I remember.
I guess the other option I didn't point out, was you can just buy the SBX software separately from creative, without any hardware. Then you can use pretty much anything that connects to your PC.

Thanks evshrug!
I'm assuming you're talking about the X-fi MB3 software right? I thought I read in this thread and the G5 thread that it will not decode 5.1 or 7.1 sound if the default device isn't 5.1 or 7.1. Thus it can only be set to stereo for my USB DAC. Or is that false and it should work even with the HA-1 or a Schiit stack?

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #35,110 of 48,578
Thanks evshrug!
I'm assuming you're talking about the X-fi MB3 software right? I thought I read in this thread and the G5 thread that it will not decode 5.1 or 7.1 sound if the default device isn't 5.1 or 7.1. Thus it can only be set to stereo for my USB DAC. Or is that false and it should work even with the HA-1 or a Schiit stack?

That's a configuration question. I highly recommend going to creative's site and looking it up, just because it could be an easy answer. You know. As long as the game can output surround positional audio, the software should be able to make a headphone HTRF processed version. But read and be sure.

I bought an Omni before I heard of the software, so I've never gone back and looked.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #35,111 of 48,578
I just installed and tried out the SBX Blasterx Acoustic Engine Lite which supposedly is a reskin of X-fi MB3. I can confirm that it will only allow me to set the virtual audio device as stereo, making virtual surround worthless. Both my old Omni and Razer Surround can be set to 5.1 or 7.1. Guess I'll make do with Razer for now until I can score an Omni on the cheap.

Sounds like the consensus is that there is very little difference between software based SBX with Omni or hardware based SBX with the G5.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #35,112 of 48,578

:eek:

Look, I know how people feel about CoD, but I'm gonna let you know right now. CoD4 is a masterpiece. CoD4 is literally what got me into headphone gaming. CoD4 is the reason why this thread even came to be.

A remaster of that game, is all that is needed to bring me back to online multiplayer destruction. Screw everything else. If you guys wanna play with me, this will literally be the game where you will find me in most of the time, once it is released.

So slick of them to reply to a nearly 2 year old tweet, with two emojis that say all that need to be said.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZX7UgzAHoE[/VIDEO]

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #35,113 of 48,578
G5's relevance will rise much higher if it gets DD 5.1 and/or DTS support. At least they fixed the bathroom SBX now. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #35,114 of 48,578

:eek:

Look, I know how people feel about CoD, but I'm gonna let you know right now. CoD4 is a masterpiece. CoD4 is literally what got me into headphone gaming. CoD4 is the reason why this thread even came to be.

A remaster of that game, is all that is needed to bring me back to online multiplayer destruction. Screw everything else. If you guys wanna play with me, this will literally be the game where you will find me in most of the time, once it is released.

So slick of them to reply to a nearly 2 year old tweet, with two emojis that say all that need to be said.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZX7UgzAHoE[/VIDEO]

You could've been playing CoD4 MP the whole time considering how active it still is on PC.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #35,115 of 48,578
I don't play games with mouse and keyboard, so I'm at a huge disadvantage in multiplayer games. On consoles, gamepads are on an even playing field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back