Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #30,706 of 48,579
I asked earlier if anyone had any suggestions of some IEMs with great detail whoring for FPS gameplay, the Westone 4 were suggested. Is there anything else out there or is that going to be my best bet?

I remember suggesting that, but may I ask your budget? Forgive me if you mentioned it, already, just can't remember what it was if you did.

I do remember you saying you owned AKGs, hence why I suggested the W4.

This isn't the best place for IEM research, though, because it's not really our forte. Might want to try here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-337-iems-compared-nht-superbuds-added-05-05-15-p-1057

for better suggestions.

May 9, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #30,707 of 48,579
Budget isn't an overall concern. I am always listening to music or movies so end up getting value out of them. I just figured there may be some fellow gamers on here familiar with something that would better fit a FPS player as opposed to the musical end of the spectrum. I believe I have been subscribed to that thread for some time as well though! I will check out what they have to say there as well. 

Also from your earlier message, no problem on my service I had fun whilst doing it. 
beerchug.gif

*Edit* on an unrelated note, has anyone been able to pair an antlion modmic with the XB1? I can not get it to work with mine. 

May 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #30,708 of 48,579
  Budget isn't an overall concern. I am always listening to music or movies so end up getting value out of them. I just figured there may be some fellow gamers on here familiar with something that would better fit a FPS player as opposed to the musical end of the spectrum. I believe I have been subscribed to that thread for some time as well though! I will check out what they have to say there as well. 

Also from your earlier message, no problem on my service I had fun whilst doing it. 
beerchug.gif

*Edit* on an unrelated note, has anyone been able to pair an antlion modmic with the XB1? I can not get it to work with mine. 

From their website:

Product specs:
  1. Jack: 3.5mm plated TRS for use with PCs
    1. Play Station 4: works fine through controller via a CTIA/TRRS adapter. Sounds strange at times if used through mixamp) 
    2. Mac/PS3/Xbox 360 headset jacks with proper adapter (Macs will need a USB adapter)
    3. We're still working on final results for Xbox One (no solid solution yet)  

May 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #30,710 of 48,579
For the first 5 minutes of listening to the HD700's I couldn't stand them and I wasn't sure why. I've owned them before and I did like them. I was afraid that I had been spoiled from having the HD800's and 650's, it turns out the previous owner had the Right Wire plugged into the left ear cup and the Left wire plugged into the right ear cup. I was listening to Hotel California and I was like, the instruments don't sound like they are coming out of the right places... Sure enough, the person prior to me had them plugged in wrong LOL.

At this point, the HD650 is wonderfully musical, they do a great job making all kinds of music sound great but their comfort is horrible, their sound stage is mediocre and they don't have the greatest positional accuracy. At this point the 650's are falling far behind in the other 2 headphones, BUT their price per performance in incredible. I paid $196 for the HD650's after tax and shipping. That is an insane deal that probably wont be had again. I paid $388 after tax and shipping for the HD700's, also a great deal. 

I am thankful I have a few more days to figure this out, right now though here is my breakdown:

HD800 - Best overall sound, the headphones are a little big and loose on my head and and sometimes too revealing, making poorly recorded music sound worse. Also they are over $700 more then the HD700. 9/10 Gaming, not as immersive as other headphones.
HD700 -  Comfortable, left ear just touches inside cup and causes some discomfort. Slightly bassier sound, treble peak is a little annoying, less revealing then the HD800's, less sound stage. $388 is amazing for the sound! 9.5/10 Gaming, slightly more bass = more immersion.
HD650 - Veiled sound, more intimate then the other 2, less positional accuracy but overall more musical then both the 700/800.. Hot and clampy, can't wear all day, 7/10 for gaming, immersive and fun but average accuracy especially in the rear and smaller stage. If this was for music listening only I'd rate the headphone a 9/10.. Little more sparkle in the treble and it would be the perfect sounding headphone for me personally for music, though it still have a comfort issue.

Thanks for your time guys, will post my final decision tomorrow or Monday. 

Forgot to add that I now have my Ps4 and Xbox One as well as my PC connected to my X7. Can anyone point me in the direction on how to do voice chat on each console. I know it's not directly compatible through USB but there has to be a better workaround then I'm using now with running y cables and rca splitters.

May 10, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #30,711 of 48,579
Forgot to add that I now have my Ps4 and Xbox One as well as my PC connected to my X7. Can anyone point me in the direction on how to do voice chat on each console. I know it's not directly compatible through USB but there has to be a better workaround then I'm using now with running y cables and rca splitters.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHN05H2/?tag=geerling-20

Plug this into the controller. 

May 10, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #30,712 of 48,579

Mmmmmmmnnnneah no.
First of all, it's $77 more expensive than the similar lapel mic recommended in the guide (first post).
Second, it appears to be TRRS, so if you plug it into the PS4 controller, you won't only have the problem of the other lapel mics where people can hear you but the controller abducts the incoming chat audio from the optical output, but also there is a possibility the game console might try to output game audio through the microphone as well.
Third, there is no connection between this lapel mic and the Xbox One.

Generally, the XBox One really is a pain in the ass for chat unless you have DIY soldering skills and you can modify a chat adapter. There are a few options (simplest just sticking to the pedestrian but servicabke mic in the Kinect), but I would probably go with the splitters and RCA cables inseconds99 already uses.

May 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #30,713 of 48,579
Mmmmmmmnnnneah no.
First of all, it's $77 more expensive than the similar lapel mic recommended in the guide (first post).
Second, it appears to be TRRS, so if you plug it into the PS4 controller, you won't only have the problem of the other lapel mics where people can hear you but the controller abducts the incoming chat audio from the optical output, but also there is a possibility the game console might try to output game audio through the microphone as well.
Third, there is no connection between this lapel mic and the Xbox One.

Generally, the XBox One really is a pain in the ass for chat unless you have DIY soldering skills and you can modify a chat adapter. There are a few options (simplest just sticking to the pedestrian but servicabke mic in the Kinect), but I would probably go with the splitters and RCA cables inseconds99 already uses.

Now it is possible to set input and output chat device separately on PS4 so the incoming voice chat can be directed to the regular audio device. It is more expensive than a 3$ Neweer mic but I'm sure cheaper solutions can be found that will offer the advantage of having a slightly cleaner setup (no Y-splitter)

May 11, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #30,719 of 48,579
Closed Sennheiser Flagship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back