Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #22,397 of 48,566
Will be a pain for when kicking back playing console. Think I'll have to keep searching for a decent solution.

Cardioid microphones pick up voices from within 10 meters or so, even other rooms but they don't isolate external noises that much. I have my ps3 and pc next to it and it doesn't pick much of any though.
The Blue Microphone Snowball is an amazing entry cardioid mic. Doesn't have the meaty voice like more expensive mics but it's so clear and picks up voice from anywhere like a champ!

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #22,398 of 48,566
I had the SE-A1000 for a while. I really enjoyed the sound. I didn't like the comfort. The elastic that runs through the headband is too loose. I would have had to modify the band to have more resistance. But as far as sound quality, they were very nice and clear with a pretty wide soundstage, especially considering the price. I picked them up for $30 when Best Buy was clearing them out of the Magnolia stores, but ended up returning them simply because they didn't sit on my head properly (same issue I have with AT wings, it slid around) and it didn't achieve a good seal so the sound was inconsistent for me.

The comfort issues vary from person to person, and I think it makes a nice gaming headphone if you can get it to fit properly. I'd say pick it up and try it out. Also, the 10' cord is great in some cases, annoying in others.

You should try this modification for more comfort and bit more tigthend up feel http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45#post_9575916

I think these headphones would be amazing for this 0-50$ price range :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #22,399 of 48,566
Cardioid microphones pick up voices from within 10 meters or so, even other rooms but they don't isolate external noises that much. I have my ps3 and pc next to it and it doesn't pick much of any though.
The Blue Microphone Snowball is an amazing entry cardioid mic. Doesn't have the meaty voice like more expensive mics but it's so clear and picks up voice from anywhere like a champ!

Was looking at that as a solution a while back but ruled it out due to how much background condenser mics pick up. Sorry I'm not deliberately being awkward, I promise :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #22,400 of 48,566
  Was looking at that as a solution a while back but ruled it out due to how much background condenser mics pick up. Sorry I'm not deliberately being awkward, I promise :)

It's okay :]
I'd still recommend to give the Blue Snowball a try if you have a place with a good return policy.
You might be pleasantly surprised :]

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #22,401 of 48,566
  It's okay :]
I'd still recommend to give the Blue Snowball a try if you have a place with a good return policy.
You might be pleasantly surprised :]

I play guitar and sing, so when I was looking at mics a while back I thought I may as well look at something a little bit more professional. Then I thought, I have my mixing desk so maybe I should be looking for something with XLR instead, then thought but that would mean having to connect my mixing desk whenever I want to use it for chat. I then thought, maybe I should get two mics... That's when I stopped looking lol.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #22,402 of 48,566
  I play guitar and sing, so when I was looking at mics a while back I thought I may as well look at something a little bit more professional. Then I thought, I have my mixing desk so maybe I should be looking for something with XLR instead, then thought but that would mean having to connect my mixing desk whenever I want to use it for chat. I then thought, maybe I should get two mics... That's when I stopped looking lol.

Blue Snowball is USB. I find the integrated DAC decent enough for voices [I mean it sounds clear so... no complaints? :D]

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #22,403 of 48,566

The discontinued V-Moda M-80 is an excellent portable can and can be had for around $75 pretty easily. Then there's the V-Moda XS that just launched is just over $200 but built to travel extremely well. Personally I'd take the M-80 over the M50 any day of the week. From memory, the M50's soundstage isn't any better than the M-80 and the M-80 is a tank. Mine gets a lot of abuse at the office, getting knocked off my desk by coworkers and I just toss it naked into my drawer at the end of the work week. It's held up very well. But I do prefer a more balanced and neutral sound, and next to the M50 the M-80 can't stand up to the bass response of the AT can.

I may have a slight bias for V-Moda's portable headphones as I love my M-80 and I anticipate I'll love my XS even more. The XS will be accompanying me on my three weeks of travel beginning Friday.

Well my quick and totally non-comprehensive search for the M-80 didn't show any in that price range.  It's that typical "Oh it's discontinued?  CRANK UP THE PRICE!" that happened with the MA900 also.  I'll keep my eyes peeled, though.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #22,404 of 48,566
  Blue Snowball is USB. I find the integrated DAC decent enough for voices [I mean it sounds clear so... no complaints? :D]

From what I've read and heard on Youtube it is no doubt a great little mic. The problem is that I saw one of the related videos which was for the Yeti, then another video comparing the Yeti to another mic, which led me on this whole journey and before I knew it I was pricing up £1000 worth of equipment. I had to walk away for my own good.

Mind you I do need a mic... Damn it! Look what you've done! lol

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #22,405 of 48,566

Well my quick and totally non-comprehensive search for the M-80 didn't show any in that price range.  It's that typical "Oh it's discontinued?  CRANK UP THE PRICE!" that happened with the MA900 also.  I'll keep my eyes peeled, though.

Here ya go, find a used Grado SR-80i and trade. :wink:

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #22,406 of 48,566
From what I've read and heard on Youtube it is no doubt a great little mic. The problem is that I saw one of the related videos which was for the Yeti, then another video comparing the Yeti to another mic, which led me on this whole journey and before I knew it I was pricing up £1000 worth of equipment. I had to walk away for my own good.

Mind you I do need a mic... Damn it! Look what you've done! lol

I was looking at the Yeti and the one above it too (Spark I think?)... But then I asked myself what will I use the mic for - let's plays, commentary and gaming... So my common senses saved me. No way did I needed any better. Besides other than the vocals being a little lighter and less full the BS is a damn good mic at that price.

Besides the Yeti seems to pick way more outside noise. It's too sensitive even for a cardioid...

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #22,407 of 48,566
I was looking at the Yeti and the one above it too (Spark I think?)... But then I asked myself what will I use the mic for - let's plays, commentary and gaming... So my common senses saved me. No way did I needed any better. Besides other than the vocals being a little lighter and less full the BS is a damn good mic at that price.

Besides the Yeti seems to pick way more outside noise. It's too sensitive even for a cardioid...

Going to put the Snowball back into my list of potential near future purchases. The other one I was looking at in that kind of price range was the Samson Go mic. "It's so tiny!" *as God comes and bangs my head in the oven* (Family Guy reference).

Edit. Einstein, not God. He did it to God.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #22,408 of 48,566
  Going to put the Snowball back into my list of potential near future purchases. The other one I was looking at in that kind of price range was the Samson Go mic. "It's so tiny!" *as God comes and bangs my head in the oven* (Family Guy reference).

Edit. Einstein, not God. He did it to God.

You're a worse Family Guy joke teller than my wife...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back