Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #22,412 of 48,566
Mar 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #22,414 of 48,566
  That brings me right back to the problem of a mic solution. Was hoping to sidestep that issue, that's why hearing that the PC 360's might not be too great when paired with a Mixamp is disappointing.

Get a mic from amazon..just go on amazon and read all the mic reviews..you don't have to spend a lot..as long as it's clear and loud enough for gamer chat!

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #22,416 of 48,566

Get a mic from amazon..just go on amazon and read all the mic reviews..you don't have to spend a lot..as long as it's clear and loud enough for gamer chat!

I'm looking at mics now. I'm still weighing up my options. Still would prefer a boom mic if I'm honest, but I'm not ruling out anything at the moment.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #22,417 of 48,566
Lmao at the for sale v-moda. He can't solder it because there's flipping gorilla glue over top the connection that he probably can't get off.. Throw them away dude.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #22,418 of 48,566
I also have to say I hate all of you that bought out the hd650s amazon had used for just over $300 lol. I wanted to wait and save. For the 560 but I have tm joint syndrome and wearing headphones can get fatiguing so I decided to wait and see how recovery goes before spending that much on headphones. Went to purchase the senns and what do ya know... Gone

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #22,419 of 48,566
Speaking of that bug, the HE-400 is ~$250 on Razordog right now (with the velour pads).  I know the 400i is coming out soon, but this sounds like a great deal. MLE makes them sound like a very attractive alternative to the X1 if you have a nice amp (hi, Change!) and don't mind the loss of the Boom-pro.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #22,420 of 48,566
I thought I was doing a really good job of not buying expensive desktop amps...  :wink:

I thought the M50 might be a good portable for travelling.  I don't really want to use open headphones on an airplane and I don't super want to travel with big fragile $200+ cans anyhow.  But I'm worried that my $200+ headphones have spoiled me for $75 headphones.  lol

But you're right.  If I'm spending any more money right now, it'll be on an amp.  There will always be another super sale when I'm ready to get another pair of headphones.

There's always gonna be a new latest and greatest, and a sale on last year's latest and greatest.

The thing about the M-80, it was a surprise hit and very well received by itself. Unlike the Sony MA900 you're thinking of (which has no direct descendant), the V-MODA XS is an improved replacement that also adds folding hinges.

I like my M-100, fun sound and super durable, I used them a lot when I first got them, but then I got caught up in analyzing the differences between Q701 and K712 and swapping pads (which so far I can only conclude that the differences are both minute and take practice to hear, probably not worth the price difference in my opinion, BUT overall I prefer the K712 and would in my financial situation choose to keep that one of the two).

Anyone used new sony playstation wireless stereo 2.0/gold on pc ?

You've asked this at least three times, someone got them and the SQ wasn't anything special, only a little convenient when using with a PS console. For PC, you would do far better with a SLYR or Creative Aurvana Live!, and you're gonna need additional hardware to process surround on PC anyway.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #22,421 of 48,566
Speaking of that bug, the HE-400 —

I'm gonna stop you right there and say the HE400 is going to sound bad without a strong amp that adds mids (so not a versatile, neutral amp and definitely not weak amps). The highs are high but they didn't bother me, what bothered me is the mids are not just recessed but sucked out to the point that sometimes lead vocals sound like backing vocals to the drums and instruments hitting the midbass. A colored amp can help a bit, and the headphone's flavor suits some specific genres well, but with other genres (smokey intimate vocals, jazz, songs featuring a diverse variety of instruments) it will just never sound right.

I have a video review of me testing them out, but I never posted it because I spent at least 5 minutes noticing just how much the sound is affected by anything close to the earcups. If you didn't think there was a big difference between open vs closed headphones, put these on and try holding up your hands even a foot away from the driver to hear how the sound changes, no joke it's in my vid.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #22,422 of 48,566
I decided not to care about virtual surround so keep that in mind. And i already have cal. Just been looking for something wireless for use with pc and consoles in 100usd range... to watch movies from a tv connected to pc. And going a cable across the room is less than fine solution. Same goes for console gaming. Even tho cal is prolly superior than any wireless headset, i coul use something wireless.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #22,423 of 48,566
Does the Sony still work wirelessly with PCs? Even if you don't care about surround (or can't use it with PC), part of the $100 is paying for it anyway. There are other wireless options. I personally just use speakers in the situation you describe.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #22,424 of 48,566
I would not mind good vss but ive tested that with my xonar dg, cal an dolby heasphone and even tho it was working, i disliked the sq with processing of dh.

cal headband is just too hard and cables are starting to get long in a teeth for me.
Yes that sony thingh is said to work with pc ans ps4..
i was also thinking about something comfortable with detachable cable so i could switch to what ineed but there is nothing interesting. Cal i really the Best headphine in 100usd range

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #22,425 of 48,566
I'm gonna stop you right there and say the HE400 is going to sound bad without a strong amp that adds mids (so not a versatile, neutral amp and definitely not weak amps). The highs are high but they didn't bother me, what bothered me is the mids are not just recessed but sucked out to the point that sometimes lead vocals sound like backing vocals to the drums and instruments hitting the midbass. A colored amp can help a bit, and the headphone's flavor suits some specific genres well, but with other genres (smokey intimate vocals, jazz, songs featuring a diverse variety of instruments) it will just never sound right.

I have a video review of me testing them out, but I never posted it because I spent at least 5 minutes noticing just how much the sound is affected by anything close to the earcups. If you didn't think there was a big difference between open vs closed headphones, put these on and try holding up your hands even a foot away from the driver to hear how the sound changes, no joke it's in my vid.

Weird, okay.  I will stay away from the PM cans until I'm ready to spend more than a few hundred bucks on the hobby.

On a side note, I decide tonight that I'm going to sell my X1 and keep the Q701.  Since I did the bass mod, the Q701 has much more acceptable levels of bass and slightly less mids and highs.  Honestly, I thought the sound moved a lot closer to the X1 (which I wanted) and it made it a harder choice (which I didn't).

But I was listening to this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw12zvPubyc (the bass kicks in about 9 mins in) on my Q's and thought, "Hey, I'm going to try it on my X1!  With that bass, it should kick ass!"  And what happened?  I lost my sparkle in the highs, lost some soundstage, and got that "flabby" bass.  Like it was great bass, but it just felt so imprecise after the Q's; more bass at the expense of detail in the bass.

I guess I'm not a "basshead".  I still think the X1 is super fun and a great all-arounder.  I just like the sound of the Q701 (modded) better and I'd rather put that money towards an amp for my Q701.  As soon as I sell em, I can afford a nice $189 amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back