Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #17,491 of 48,578
Got my babies back!

Oh, how much I missed them!

Yes, I use plural when I speak of headphones. SUE ME.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #17,495 of 48,578
  Too much hype. Oppo hasn't proved anything yet with headphones. 

Hype? Yeah, there'll be some. From what I can tell, though, people are mostly commenting on its styling, which is understandable. I mean...look at it.

Oppo's making a headphone. It was a surprise to many (certainly to me anyway). That's worthy of discussion here.

Some people get all bent out of shape because we as a headphone audio community might want to talk about it a lot...discuss what we hope it'll be like, what we hope it'll sound like...on a headphone audio forum. Should we pretend it's not happening?

On car forums, people get excited--and, yes, sometimes hyped-up--about the announcement of a new car, before anyone's actually driven it. On camera forums, people get excited about the announcement of a new camera, before anyone's shot a photo with it. Have you ever been to a forum that covers mobile phone technology? And here, at what has to be one of the busiest of all places in the world for the discussion of headphone audio, we're going to get excited about new headphone and audio gear announcements.

When we first opened up Head-Fi back in 2001--and for several years thereafter--we rarely had new stuff to discuss. Now we do.

Hype? Yeah, that happens here, and, again, it also happens on just about every other forum about whatever topics and product types its focused on. And, as on those other forums, time proves the heroes after some of the initial excitement dies down. That excitement is called enthusiasm. And many of us...well, we're enthusiasts. It's fun.

Here are some tips: don't spend money you haven't got. Don't only listen only to what I (or any other single person) has to say about something. Search the forums, do a little due diligence; reconcile what you're reading with your preferences, and hopefully increase your chance at successfully finding stuff that sounds great to you. You'll find people who review gear whose preferences are reliably more in line with yours, and that's helpful. You'll find people who review gear whose preferences are reliably the polar opposite of yours, and that's helpful, too.

You ever go to a Head-Fi Meet, and see the looks on faces of the first-timers (and even many seasoned meet veterans, myself included) as they walk the floor, excitedly looking at gear they've been reading about and wanting to hear, with their chance to finally do that at hand? That'll always be the essence of this place, as far as I'm concerned. Shared enthusiasm.

Anyway, sorry to go a bit off the "headphone gaming guide" topic.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #17,496 of 48,578

Hype? Yeah, there'll be some. From what I can tell, though, people are mostly commenting on its styling, which is understandable. I mean...look at it.

Oppo's making a headphone. It was a surprise to many (certainly to me anyway). That's worthy of discussion here.

Some people get all bent out of shape because we as a headphone audio community might want to talk about it a lot...discuss what we hope it'll be like, what we hope it'll sound like...on a headphone audio forum. Should we pretend it's not happening?

On car forums, people get excited--and, yes, sometimes hyped-up--about the announcement of a new car, before anyone's actually driven it. On camera forums, people get excited about the announcement of a new camera, before anyone's shot a photo with it. Have you ever been to a forum that covers mobile phone technology? And here, at what has to be one of the busiest of all places in the world for the discussion of headphone audio, we're going to get excited about new headphone and audio gear announcements.

When we first opened up Head-Fi back in 2001--and for several years thereafter--we rarely had new stuff to discuss. Now we do.

Hype? Yeah, that happens here, and, again, it also happens on just about every other forum about whatever topics and product types its focused on. And, as on those other forums, time proves the heroes after some of the initial excitement dies down. That excitement is called enthusiasm. And many of us...well, we're enthusiasts. It's fun.

Here are some tips: don't spend money you haven't got. Don't only listen only to what I (or any other single person) has to say about something. Search the forums, do a little due diligence; reconcile what you're reading with your preferences, and hopefully increase your chance at successfully finding stuff that sounds great to you. You'll find people who review gear whose preferences are reliably more in line with yours, and that's helpful. You'll find people who review gear whose preferences are reliably the polar opposite of yours, and that's helpful, too.

You ever go to a Head-Fi Meet, and see the looks on faces of the first-timers (and even many seasoned meet veterans, myself included) as they walk the floor, excitedly looking at gear they've been reading about and wanting to hear, with their chance to finally do that at hand? That'll always be the essence of this place, as far as I'm concerned. Shared enthusiasm.

Anyway, sorry to go a bit off the "headphone gaming guide" topic.

The paragraph in bold should be a disclaimer on the front page of this thread... very well said.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #17,499 of 48,578
There has to be SOMETHING with that step on the plug. But it's not a necessity. Just try and find a cable that doesn't have a thick barrel. Too thick a barrel without that extra piece may keep the plug from inserting completely.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #17,501 of 48,578
The Fidelio X1s look immense but they're open :frowning2: One of the main problems I often find with headphones is that they press the arms of my glasses into the side of my head, making my glasses feel like they're squashed up against my head. I'd love a super comfortable pair of headphones for music and gaming but I tend to end up getting IEMs simply because they don't interfere with my glasses, don't cause me discomfort and nobody near me can hear what I am listening to. 

Sigh.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #17,503 of 48,578
You think the KSC75 would be decent for handheld gaming and music on the go?
I own the monoprice 8320 IEM's and while there are good they hurt my ears after awhile so i'm looking at clip ons since they look like an interesting option.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #17,504 of 48,578
Hey chico,

If you were to have to choose between the M-Stage and iCAN which would it be? I just ordered the Asgard 2 to pair with my MDs and will be looking to sell one of them. I am leaning towards keeping the M-Stage because it pairs so well with the K712.

I'm going to miss those switches on the iCAN, though. The choice will not be easy... but one must go.

Of course, I will be thoroughly testing the iCAN before selling (if I do decide to sell it) beforehand to make sure there aren't any issues like the other day. So far everything has been working just fine. I think I might still send it in for replacement, though... just for peace of mind.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #17,505 of 48,578
I am convinced. Gonna get the ATH-A900X [W1000X is too expensive :/ and it'd be a shame to use for portable use :D]
Many reliable head-fi sources tell me they are pretty good.
Just don't tell MLE 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back