Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #17,506 of 48,578
You think the KSC75 
would be decent for handheld gaming and music on the go?
I own the monoprice 8320 IEM's and while there are good they hurt my ears after awhile so i'm looking at clip ons since they look like an interesting option.

Absolutely. Even better is if you get the Sportapro alongside the KSC75, and snap off the Sportapro drivers to use with the KSC75's clips. instant KSC35 (with comfier clips). Just bend the KSC75 clips inward, as when you get the out the package, the drivers are more separated from your ears than they should be for optimal sound quality.

conquer, like I said, I haven't had extensive sessions with the A900x. If you like it, that's great. For that price, I'd just save up for some Mad Dogs though.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #17,507 of 48,578
Absolutely. Even better is if you get the Sportapro alongside the KSC75, and snap off the Sportapro drivers to use with the KSC75's clips. instant KSC35 (with comfier clips). Just bend the KSC75 clips inward, as when you get the out the package, the drivers are more separated from your ears than they should be for optimal sound quality.

conquer, like I said, I haven't had extensive sessions with the A900x. If you like it, that's great. For that price, I'd just save up for some Mad Dogs though.

Can you give me a link to the Sportapro I don't know if the one I'm looking at is the right one.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #17,508 of 48,578
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155475-SportaPro-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00001P505/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382393884&sr=8-1&keywords=sportapro

The drivers snap off, and can snap on to the KSC75's clips, no problems.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #17,510 of 48,578
That's fair. the KSC75 is stellar. Just if you end up really liking it, get that Sportapro. Trust me.

Again, make sure you bend the clips inward so the drivers press towards your ears. If not, it will sound all bright and lack bass. Takes a few seconds, and you can bend them back out if it's too much.

make sure when you wear it, the ear lobe is between the driver and the clip, like how the KSC35 looks here. That is the correct way to wear the clip ons. If you don't have a hang ear lobe like I do, well, you may have to be creative. As long as the end of the clip is basically behind the ear lobe, you should be ok.

Yes, I know I had to shave that day. :D

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #17,511 of 48,578
I just discovered Osu! (rhythm based game). Pretty bad ass and addicting. And you can enjoy music on your headphones at the same time, heh.

So far I've just been finding beatmaps of my favorite anime songs. I'm still trying to get used to the game (failing a lot).... apparently it's easier if you are playing on a tablet. On the PC you are stuck using your mouse pretty much, but it's still really fun.

Any other really good rhythm games out there? Only one I've really played before is Stepmania.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #17,512 of 48,578
I just discovered Osu! (rhythm based game). Pretty bad ass and addicting. And you can enjoy music on your headphones at the same time, heh.

So far I've just been finding beatmaps of my favorite anime songs. I'm still trying to get used to the game (failing a lot).... apparently it's easier if you are playing on a tablet. On the PC you are stuck using your mouse pretty much, but it's still really fun.

Any other really good rhythm games out there? Only one I've really played before is Stepmania.

DJ Max Portable... though I guess you need a PSP/Vita for those. the PC had one IIRC, but I never played it. Rhythm Thief on the 3ds is pretty sweet too.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #17,513 of 48,578
  The Fidelio X1s look immense but they're open :frowning2: One of the main problems I often find with headphones is that they press the arms of my glasses into the side of my head, making my glasses feel like they're squashed up against my head. I'd love a super comfortable pair of headphones for music and gaming but I tend to end up getting IEMs simply because they don't interfere with my glasses, don't cause me discomfort and nobody near me can hear what I am listening to.

Sigh.

Why are there no headphones with glasses attached directly to them instead?

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #17,514 of 48,578

Mad Dogs won't work for portability reasons. I mean I am planning to use them portable first hand and I am not gonna spending some money on portable gear any time soon.

900X can be powered by my lowly Clip+. Mad Dogs, on the other hand... no way, right?

They are just releasing the Alpha Dogs which are an improvement to them but are way above my budget.

That said, I'd love to hear the Mad Dogs some day, but probably not now... Would be a waste IMO :/

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #17,515 of 48,578
I don't see the Alpha Dogs as a replacement but as a higher end alternative, since the tonal balance is gonna be different. Warm and intimate vs neutral and more spacious... though I haven't heard the AD yet so I can't say. I envision it as like the HD600 vs the HD650. They have their pros and cons.

But yeah, the MD probably won't sound amazing unamped.

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #17,516 of 48,578
  Why are there no headphones with glasses attached directly to them instead?

Heh, I've never really had any problems while wearing glasses with the Annies, X1's or TH900. In fact, my glasses are really loose fitting and always sliding down my nose, so the headphones actually help keep them in place 
biggrin.gif

I can see it being a problem with headphones that really clamp down on your head... but all of the above don't really do that.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #17,517 of 48,578

Mad Dogs won't work for portability reasons. I mean I am planning to use them portable first hand and I am not gonna spending some money on portable gear any time soon.

900X can be powered by my lowly Clip+. Mad Dogs, on the other hand... no way, right?

They are just releasing the Alpha Dogs which are an improvement to them but are way above my budget.

That said, I'd love to hear the Mad Dogs some day, but probably not now... Would be a waste IMO :/

they actually sound ok out of the sansa clip zip but you have to have the volume at max.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #17,518 of 48,578
  Hey chico,

If you were to have to choose between the M-Stage and iCAN which would it be? I just ordered the Asgard 2 to pair with my MDs and will be looking to sell one of them. I am leaning towards keeping the M-Stage because it pairs so well with the K712.

I'm going to miss those switches on the iCAN, though. The choice will not be easy... but one must go.

Of course, I will be thoroughly testing the iCAN before selling (if I do decide to sell it) beforehand to make sure there aren't any issues like the other day. So far everything has been working just fine. I think I might still send it in for replacement, though... just for peace of mind.

That's a tough choice.  If I had to sell one I think it would be the M-stage, because I use the iCan a lot more often.   I just can't see myself selling it when I use the switches on it all the time for music and movies/shows.  I do like the M-stage better for gaming and when NOT using the switches (straight amping), but that's a smaller percentage of my usage/time.

I think there's going to be more overlap between the M-stage and Asgard2 than with the iCan, so if it were me I'd sell one of those two "plain" desktop amps.

If it were me I would definitely wait and compare the M-stage and Asgard 2 directly before I decided to sell anything.  The differences between two decent solid state amps are way too subtle to really compare them from memory.  Without being able to compare the iCan and M-stage directly, I really couldn't tell you if there was any difference in their sound.  The same could likely be true for the M-stage and Asgard 2. 

Most of the "M-stage Vs. Asgard" comparisons I've seen usually favor the M-stage.  And FWIR the Asgard 2 isn't that different sounding than the Asgard 1.  Yeah, maybe the extra power from the Asgard will make an audible improvement with Mad Dogs, but maybe not.  So I'd compare them first.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #17,519 of 48,578
  The Fidelio X1s look immense but they're open :frowning2: One of the main problems I often find with headphones is that they press the arms of my glasses into the side of my head, making my glasses feel like they're squashed up against my head. I'd love a super comfortable pair of headphones for music and gaming but I tend to end up getting IEMs simply because they don't interfere with my glasses, don't cause me discomfort and nobody near me can hear what I am listening to. 

Sigh.

I'm also using glasses, and that is the reason why I'm very picky for full size cans.
X1 clamp is not that hard, just right. It doesn't press my glasses hand and no discomfort at all for me. DT990 pro also comfortable for glasses user like us.
Unlike the M50, even with the stretch mod, its still very painful because its pressing my glasses rather hard.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #17,520 of 48,578

That's a tough choice.  If I had to sell one I think it would be the M-stage, because I use the iCan a lot more often.   I just can't see myself selling it when I use the switches on it all the time for music and movies/shows.  I do like the M-stage better for gaming and when NOT using the switches (straight amping), but that's a smaller percentage of my usage/time.

I think there's going to be more overlap between the M-stage and Asgard2 than with the iCan, so if it were me I'd sell one of those two "plain" desktop amps.

If it were me I would definitely wait and compare the M-stage and Asgard 2 directly before I decided to sell anything.  The differences between two decent solid state amps are way too subtle to really compare them from memory.  Without being able to compare the iCan and M-stage directly, I really couldn't tell you if there was any difference in their sound.  The same could likely be true for the M-stage and Asgard 2.

Most of the "M-stage Vs. Asgard" comparisons I've seen usually favor the M-stage.  And FWIR the Asgard 2 isn't that different sounding than the Asgard 1.  Yeah, maybe the extra power from the Asgard will make an audible improvement with Mad Dogs, but maybe not.  So I'd compare them first.

Oh, I will definitely not be selling either the M-Stage or iCAN until I compare them to the AG2.

If the AG2 does not make an audible improvement to the MDs with its extra power than it will be returned. If it does, however, then that is when the decision will be difficult.

You see, I also was thinking the M-Stage would be the one to go because of the iCAN's switches. But, like you, the M-Stage pairs better with the K712 than the iCAN to me when gaming. I, however, use the M-Stage much more for gaming than the iCAN with its switches on. The extra bass is nice when watching movies and such, but the 3D effect sounds almost artificial when using Dolby Headphone at the same time (so I barely use it when gaming). I get more satisfaction from the M-Stage and its natural openness in that regard, hence why the iCAN is on my desk for music rather than on my gaming rig. My desk is where the AG2 will be going as that is where my MDs are used the most... for my genre taste of music.

This is when having two "plain" desktop amps won't be as overlapping for me, because each is specifically paired to match with a certain headphone and also for a specific purpose. Plus, both rigs are in different stations... not on the same desk.

If things go as I expect it will still be hard to let the iCAN go, though...

Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back