M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Dec 15, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the K271 a mini XLR connector?

Anyway, these seem nice but M-audio just rebrands and charges more. So, maybe there is the cheaper OEM of this phone somewhere?

I also like the website description talking about those XL 40mm drivers. Extra large, I don't think so. 53mm and 57mm might be XL but only noobs would fall for the XL 40mm driver line. Not that they aren't good drivers though but there is some BS going on...

"Superior drivers

Full frequency response owes much to the size and construction of a speaker’s driver. The Studiophile Q40 headphones feature extra-large 40mm-diameter drivers—bigger than most other headphones—for extended low frequencies. Bass response is also enhanced by efficient components like neodymium magnets, copper-clad aluminum voice coils and vented diaphragms made of low-mass treated mylar. These elements come together in M-Audio’s custom enclosure, which has been specially tuned to further maximize low-frequency extension."

I am looking for closed, easy to drive, decent size phone with a replaceable cable but I'm not quite convinced yet. Maybe I would try them at $99.

Marketing BS is redundant. I hardly ever read the marketing mumbo jumbo that is on manufacturer's sites and the boxes that they ship in. I took a chance on these because I like M-Audio's stuff. I personally don't care what it is made of as long as it is built well and sounds good which the Q40s are.

I've taken apart a number of headphones - K701s, DT770/880/990, DR150, RP-21, K81DJ, SA3000, K340 and other cheap headphones. Beyer's build quality is the best I've personally seen. These Q40s impress me. I haven't taken them apart... yet.
cool.gif
But aside from Beyer, they are one of the most solid feeling headphones I've either had or worked on which speaks quality to me. The build, coupled with what I'm hearing, easily warrants their $180 MSRP. I like them better than Beyer's DT770 in stock form and those retail for $250. Of course it is all subjective and what you are comfortable in spending.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #17 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like them better than Beyer's DT770 in stock form and those retail for $250. Of course it is all subjective and what you are comfortable in spending.

Which leads to question, how is the soundstage? One thing that killed RP21 for me was almost total absence of soundstage compared to Proline 750 I have. Otherwise I liked the tonal balance more that Ultrasones.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 1,653
If soundstage is important than the Q40s will disappoint. If memory serves - it is better than the RP-21s but not by much. The M-Audios do a nice job with instrument separation and placement which helps in providing a sense of space but you are pretty up close to the action.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 1,653
Quote:

If soundstage is important than the Q40s will disappoint. If memory serves - it is better than the RP-21s but not by much. The M-Audios do a nice job with instrument separation and placement which helps in providing a sense of space but you are pretty up close to the action.

Darn.

...Darth Beyers seem more luring day by day, and M-Audios wont be the saviour either...

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 1,653
Great review Scott!
I love headphones in this pricerange because I don't have to feel guilty about pulling the trigger to try them out. I really like my Denon AH-D1001's, but I'm definitely considering grabbing a pair of these after reading your review. Especially since you say the velour pads don't subtract bass, I love the comfort of Beyer velour pads. Thanks for the great tip!

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #23 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldn't exactly say they this headphone and the ea rp-21's are at the same price point now. the rp-21 are at 80 dollars vs the 140 dollars these headphones are.

Actually, they are only about $30 apart. MSRP for the RP-21s is $149.00 and the Q40s are $179.95. The RP-21s have been out for a little while now and easy to get good deals. That being said, I got my Q40s brand new for only $115.
cool.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #24 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review Scott!
I love headphones in this pricerange because I don't have to feel guilty about pulling the trigger to try them out. I really like my Denon AH-D1001's, but I'm definitely considering grabbing a pair of these after reading your review. Especially since you say the velour pads don't subtract bass, I love the comfort of Beyer velour pads. Thanks for the great tip!

I'll be doing the comparison with the Denons at some point this weekend, Steve. I love the little Denons but with its collapsible design, removable cable and included carrying pouch - the M-Audios are more travel friendly.

By the way, everyone. An update: The Q40s do leak a fair amount. I was testing out a cable build on them and after a couple of songs I took them off and asked my wife if she could hear the music (she was behind me about 5 feet away). She said yes and had no problem discerning what I was listening too. So I don't suggest these in an office environment where you have people sitting near you. Especially if it is generally quiet.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #25 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oOf. Now I'm interested too, with my money more or less already spoken for. Time to do some thinking.

Sorry to entice, Jeff. I calls em likes I sees em.
tongue.gif
That's the crazy thing with this bottomless hobby. Just when you settle on something, along comes something else. It just does not end. And the sooner you accept that fact the easier it is... to just keep buying stuff!
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #26 of 1,653
I used my Olive Symphony / Presonus Central Station set-up for comparing the Denons and M-Audios. The CS is terrific for comparos since it has two built-in identical headamps so you can just switch back and forth quickly. The two headphones are stock except for a pair of Beyer velour pads on the Q40s.

Let me first state that I really like the D1000s. They are small, sleek and sexy looking and offer up quite a nice sonic sig. But, alas, the Q40s bested the Denons just about across the board. In direct comparison, the Denons had a hollow somewhat cold sound in regards to the mids. They were also much more closed in sounding. I'm sure the larger ear chambers of the Q40s have a lot to do in offering a much richer sound. The bass signature of both headphones are similar. The Q40s reach lower in regards to bass and are a bit tighter but we're not talking a night/day difference here. They both have a similar elevated bass presence as well. The difference in highs are interesting. There's a bit of sharpness or bite to the Denons that lends itself to a slightly clearer sound compared to the Q40s. If someone has a penchant for highs I could see them probably lean in the direction of the Denons. In other words, the highs would come down to a matter of taste rather than quality.

The M-Audios provide a larger soundstage and does a much better job in providing a more 3 dimensional environment. Rather than Alison Krauss' voice equally mixed in with the band, on the Q40s it sounds more like she is singing in front of the band. A more real listening experience. Instrument placement and separation are better handled with the Q40s.

In summary, the Q40s offer a richer more sophisticated listening experience. I think if I tweaked the Denons I could improve them but I sincerely doubt I could get them to the Q40's level. It would be interesting to try the D2000 in comparison. From what I've read of them and having a brief listening session with the D5000s, the D2000s would be a closer match with the Q40s. The interesting question is would the D2000s sound twice as good since they are more than twice the price of the M-Audios. If someone wants to send me a pair to find out - I wouldn't refuse.
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #27 of 1,653
Definetely an interesting intruder. Hope other exeriences & opinions turn up though, as warrior's impressions have at least some raving brand-new-toy tendency (no offence, it's similar with me and new fons!).

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #28 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definetely an interesting intruder. Hope other exeriences & opinions turn up though, as warrior's impressions have at least some raving brand-new-toy tendency (no offence, it's similar with me and new fons!).

No offense taken. I'm not trying to get everyone to go out and buy one, just trying to introduce an unknown. I am curious if you are referring to specific headphones in your comment. I'm going through my head some of the cans I've introduced or latched onto early on from others introducing a new head/earphone. Ones that come to mind - JBL 220s: still own them and still like them a lot for what they are. Goldring DR150s: still own them and continue to state they are a terrific bang-for-the-buck headphone. RP-21: I liked them a lot but sold them to fund other purchases. Denon C700: love mine and definitely the best canalphone that I've experienced (nope - have not heard ALL of them). Atrio M5: broken record but still own them and still consider them to be very good IEMs.

Looking over the above list, there are many other Head-Fi'ers that agree or I agree with that they are quality sounding head/earphones.

Obviously I can only offer comment and comparison to those headphones I have extensive experience with. I also always try and emphasize that when I make statements of quality of sound that it is within the context of the pricepoint of the head/earphone and their inherent design limitation (for example, I don't expect huge soundstage from IEMs or canalphones and won't denigrate them for it).

Though I'm sounding defensive I'm more interested in hearing constructive criticism so I can consider it for future reviews and/or comments.
cool.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 1,653
Quote:

No offense taken. I am curious if you are referring to specific headphones in your comment.

No, it's just on this single thread.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Though I'm sounding defensive I'm more interested in hearing constructive criticism so I can consider it for future reviews and/or comments.

Well, I personally find threads in the style of "I like this and that, I dislike that and this" a bit more informative. Couldn't find any dislike here - so the reviever is very enthusiastic or the M-Audio is a giant killer. Would be a good thing though if the latter was the case, as all major contenders (HD25, K81, ES7, D1000) were far away from being flawless IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back