M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Dec 16, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's just on this single thread.
tongue.gif

Well, I personally find threads in the style of "I like this and that, I dislike that and this" a bit more informative. Couldn't find any dislike here - so the reviever is very enthusiastic or the M-Audio is a giant killer. Would be a good thing though if the latter was the case, as all major contenders (HD25, K81, ES7, D1000) were far away from being flawless IMO.

Good points and duly noted. Guess I'm just a positive guy.
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #32 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will the bass be enough for my basshead ears?? how would you compare the to the dt770?

It has been awhile since I've listened to the DT770s so I really can't say. If it helps at all, the Q40s are certainly not as bassy as the D5000s. I still plan on doing a comparison with my DT990s which are my favorite bass headphones that I own.

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #33 of 1,653
BTW, I really admired your recent Beyerheiser 880 thingway - best DIY handicraft ever (followed by KSC75 drivers housed in some circumaural Philips, forgot the exact type)

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #34 of 1,653
Quote:

BTW, I really admired your recent Beyerheiser 880 thingway - best DIY handicraft ever (followed by KSC75 drivers housed in some circumaural Philips, forgot the exact type)

Thanks much. They are definitely my favorite frankenphone I've created and quite happy how they came out both sonic-wise and aesthetically speaking.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #36 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my Olive Symphony / Presonus Central Station set-up for comparing the Denons and M-Audios. The CS is terrific for comparos since it has two built-in identical headamps so you can just switch back and forth quickly. The two headphones are stock except for a pair of Beyer velour pads on the Q40s.

Let me first state that I really like the D1000s. They are small, sleek and sexy looking and offer up quite a nice sonic sig. But, alas, the Q40s bested the Denons just about across the board. In direct comparison, the Denons had a hollow somewhat cold sound in regards to the mids. They were also much more closed in sounding. I'm sure the larger ear chambers of the Q40s have a lot to do in offering a much richer sound. The bass signature of both headphones are similar. The Q40s reach lower in regards to bass and are a bit tighter but we're not talking a night/day difference here. They both have a similar elevated bass presence as well. The difference in highs are interesting. There's a bit of sharpness or bite to the Denons that lends itself to a slightly clearer sound compared to the Q40s. If someone has a penchant for highs I could see them probably lean in the direction of the Denons. In other words, the highs would come down to a matter of taste rather than quality.

The M-Audios provide a larger soundstage and does a much better job in providing a more 3 dimensional environment. Rather than Alison Krauss' voice equally mixed in with the band, on the Q40s it sounds more like she is singing in front of the band. A more real listening experience. Instrument placement and separation are better handled with the Q40s.

In summary, the Q40s offer a richer more sophisticated listening experience. I think if I tweaked the Denons I could improve them but I sincerely doubt I could get them to the Q40's level. It would be interesting to try the D2000 in comparison. From what I've read of them and having a brief listening session with the D5000s, the D2000s would be a closer match with the Q40s. The interesting question is would the D2000s sound twice as good since they are more than twice the price of the M-Audios. If someone wants to send me a pair to find out - I wouldn't refuse.
tongue.gif

Well that settles it for me I'm going to have to buy a pair and try them out.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #37 of 1,653
Quote:

In summary, the Q40s offer a richer more sophisticated listening experience. I think if I tweaked the Denons I could improve them but I sincerely doubt I could get them to the Q40's level. It would be interesting to try the D2000 in comparison. From what I've read of them and having a brief listening session with the D5000s, the D2000s would be a closer match with the Q40s. The interesting question is would the D2000s sound twice as good since they are more than twice the price of the M-Audios. If someone wants to send me a pair to find out - I wouldn't refuse.
tongue.gif

Scott, i have a set of recabled d2ks. when you swing by we can include that in the comparo.
cool.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #38 of 1,653
Interesting closed headphones.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #39 of 1,653
Another comparo but I'll keep this short. I thought I would try the Q40s against my DT990/600 just for kicks. The Beyers are more open sounding (pretty much goes without saying), more soundstage, more detail and reach higher. The Q40s hold up surprisingly well in the bass department. I'm not saying they are on par with the 990s but they don't get blown out of the water either which I think is pretty impressive considering my 990s are about three times expensive.

Still very happy with my Q40s.
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #40 of 1,653
...I still wonder who has built them...I doubt that it was M-Audio themselves. Looks a bit ultrasonish, eh?!

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #41 of 1,653
Quote:

...I still wonder who has built them...I doubt that it was M-Audio themselves. Looks a bit ultrasonish, eh?!

Naaah, HFI Ultrasones are oval, and Prolines dont look that similar.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #42 of 1,653
Quote:

From my experience, rebranded headphones typically differ in paint and labels but the physical structure is left alone. I have yet to see another headphone that looks like these. I'm not saying that M-Audio definitely made them but they sure aren't an obvious rebrand like their IEMs.
cool.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #43 of 1,653
Hi Warrior05, and which of the two headphones that you have (goldring DR150)/had (RP-21) has a bigger soundstage?
Is the DR150 a more open sounding that the DT990??
Which of the two (above) has more bass extension and impact and which of the two is faster?
I am very interested in those two headphones...
Thank you a lot

Quote:

Another comparo but I'll keep this short. I thought I would try the Q40s against my DT990/600 just for kicks. The Beyers are more open sounding (pretty much goes without saying), more soundstage, more detail and reach higher. The Q40s hold up surprisingly well in the bass department. I'm not saying they are on par with the 990s but they don't get blown out of the water either which I think is pretty impressive considering my 990s are about three times expensive.

Still very happy with my Q40s.
cool.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Warrior05, and which of the two headphones that you have (goldring DR150)/had (RP-21) has a bigger soundstage?
Is the DR150 a more open sounding that the DT990??
Which of the two (above) has more bass extension and impact and which of the two is faster?
I am very interested in those two headphones...
Thank you a lot

Well, you're a bit off topic but I'll answer you anyway because the answer is quite easy - DT990. Comparing the Beyers to the DR150 is really unfair. The DT990s are twice the price and there is a good reason for it.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #45 of 1,653
Yes, i am a bit offtopic, but i like to take advantage for asking about those headphones, because you have had/owned these...
In other hand, you doesn't has answered correctly my questions...
A continuation i will to bring up the question of another form.
Which of the two headphones that you have/has had the biggest soundstage?? A) The Goldring DR150 or B) the RP-21?
in other hand Is the DR150 a more open sounding (Less closed in) that the DT990, i am not asking about which is better, ok?.
Thank you
And sorry if i make a mistake, my english isn't perfect.

PD: As you see in my profile, i have the DT990, but i want a louder headphone for certain music types, that doesn't sound louder in my DT990 and for watch TV...
Quote:

Well, you're a bit off topic but I'll answer you anyway because the answer is quite easy - DT990. Comparing the Beyers to the DR150 is really unfair. The DT990s are twice the price and there is a good reason for it.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back