M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Dec 22, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #46 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, i am a bit offtopic, but i like to take advantage for asking about those headphones, because you had/owned these...
In other hand, you doesn't has answered correctly my question...
A continuation i will to bring up the question of another form.
Which of the two headphones that you have/has had the biggest soundstage?? A) The Goldring DR150 or B) the RP-21?
in other hand Is the DR150 a more open sounding (Less closed in) that the DT990, i am not asking about, which is better, ok?.
Thank you
And sorry if i make a mistake, my english isn't perfect.

Your English is fine so no apologies are necessary.
biggrin.gif
I think I was getting confused because you are asking about a comparison between the DR150s and RP-21s but then throw in the DT990s. Hopefully, this will help:

The DR150s do have a larger soundstage than the RP-21s. Not surprising since the Goldrings are an open headphone.

As for the DT990s - the reason I said it isn't a fair comparison is because the Beyers are just a better headphone across the board. More bass extension. more detail, reach higher, faster, bigger soundstage, etc. Therefore, yes - the DT990s are more open sounding than the DR150s.

If you would like more specific questions answered, feel free to PM.
cool.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #47 of 1,653
You have went forward to my question (i added more info a little after), a fast reply!. Ok, i ask you about the DR150 to confirm, because i have read the stereomojo review, where them say that the soundstage was small (but bigger than a grado), but is good to hear that it is bigger than the RP-21. I wanted the RP-21 for movies, because of the stronger bass, but the soundstage seems very small, is a pity.
Ah, and another thing, which of the two headphones has better bass and which is deeper and stronger/with more slam (in the midbass)
if the RP-21 has more slam and is deeper, is much the difference or is very little.
In other hand, sorry a little for the little offtopic
The next time that i want to ask about that pair i will for MP

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your English is fine so no apologies are necessary. I think I was getting confused because you are asking about a comparison between the DR150s and RP-21s but then throw in the DT990s. Hopefully, this will help:

The DR150s do have a larger soundstage than the RP-21s. Not surprising since the Goldrings are an open headphone.

As for the DT990s - the reason I said it isn't a fair comparison is because the Beyers are just a better headphone across the board. More bass extension. more detail, reach higher, faster, bigger soundstage, etc. Therefore, yes - the DT990s are more open sounding than the DR150s.

If you would like more specific questions answered, feel free to PM.
cool.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #48 of 1,653
Warrior....have you tried the Q-40s directly from your Cowon (or if you have access to a non mod-iPod)?

Given their seeming very high sensitivity, i am wondering if these might be acceptable for non-amped use on iPod or my laptop?

...and can you say where you found them at $115....or was that a special deal?

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #49 of 1,653
Robster1958:
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to them now straight out of my Trekstor Vibez and sounding mighty fine.
cool.gif
I believe they are only 32 ohms so they are relatively easy to drive.

I just received a set myself, and they're driven adequately by the internal amp of my Rockboxed Sansa e280 (which I find fairly weak relative to my other portable players). I have to turn the volume up a bit higher than usual, but there's still enough head room to blow my eardrums out, and the drivers don't seem to be wanting for juice.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #50 of 1,653
I am planning to give them a try as well, so if you can tell more about your impressions, would be very nice.

THX

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robster1958:

I just received a set myself, and they're driven adequately by the internal amp of my Rockboxed Sansa e280 (which I find fairly weak relative to my other portable players). I have to turn the volume up a bit higher than usual, but there's still enough head room to blow my eardrums out, and the drivers don't seem to be wanting for juice.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #51 of 1,653
In several aspects, these look like something built by Audio Technica or Sony. AT offers headphones with 40 mm drivers, they have folding models, and many of the parts (esp. the earpiece arches and pivots) look very similar. The folding parts look just like the Sony MDR-V6 mechanism, if my memory is accurate.

Sort of like a combination of an ATH-Pro700, an ATH-ESW9, and a Sony MDR-V6.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #52 of 1,653
Well, re-reading your thread again (this time more thoroughly) i want to make a question (or various) to you... (i am not interested in the Goldring DR150 anymore because it's very inferior to my DT990 as an alternative (more not as a replace, never......)):
Which of the two headphones (RP-21 and the M-audio Q40) as an bigger headstage (out of the head soundfield) and an better holographic stage (an more 3D soundstage)??
Ah, and in a scale of 1 to 10, how you put/rate the 3 headphones (including the DT990) in the bass slam?
And which of the two headphones (from your memory) has better bass quality for you (RP-21 and the M-audio Q40) and mids (in this area you can include the DT990 but taking out and apart the airiness of it. And which of the three is livelier and in which order), and which of the two is airier (the closed ones) (if any...) in the mids and highs???
Thank you very much for your more sincere answers and have a nice new year.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #53 of 1,653
I've got my M-Audio Q40s from the mail today. Excitedly, right out of the box, I put it on. But I'm kinda disappointed of the first sound I've heard, it's HORRIBLE! It's like I have my head inside a large tin can and the music I've been hearing is nothing but an ECHO swirling around my head. I've been expecting the sound to be thin, tiny, or weak but natural like the first time I put on my Grados but then, no. It sounds really weird!

Well, I'm not giving up yet - I've put them to burn in and report back...

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #54 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, re-reading your thread again (this time more thoroughly) i want to make a question (or various) to you... (i am not interested in the Goldring DR150 anymore because it's very inferior to my DT990 as an alternative (more not as a replace, never......)):
Which of the two headphones (RP-21 and the M-audio Q40) as an bigger headstage (out of the head soundfield) and an better holographic stage (an more 3D soundstage)??
Ah, and in a scale of 1 to 10, how you put/rate the 3 headphones (including the DT990) in the bass slam?
And which of the two headphones (from your memory) has better bass quality for you (RP-21 and the M-audio Q40) and mids (in this area you can include the DT990 but taking out and apart the airiness of it. And which of the three is livelier and in which order), and which of the two is airier (the closed ones) (if any...) in the mids and highs???
Thank you very much for your more sincere answers and have a nice new year.

I tend to refrain from some specific comparisons when it is with a headphone I don't own anymore (RP-21) because my audio memory is not great unless something really stands out. In this case, I definitely feel that the bass quality of the Q40 outshines the RP-21s. Unfortunately, as for the rest I can't really comment which lends me to surmise that the two are similar.

As for the DT990s - well, I don't feel this is a fair comparison. The Beyers outshine the Q40s in every respect as expected. I will say this, the general sound sig is somewhat similar but the 990s extend higher exponentially and - not surprisingly - are much more airy sounding.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #55 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by EarG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got my M-Audio Q40s from the mail today. Excitedly, right out of the box, I put it on. But I'm kinda disappointed of the first sound I've heard, it's HORRIBLE! It's like I have my head inside a large tin can and the music I've been hearing is nothing but an ECHO swirling around my head. I've been expecting the sound to be thin, tiny, or weak but natural like the first time I put on my Grados but then, no. It sounds really weird!

You also might want to do some self burn-in with these as well. Meaning, if you are jumping from one headphone you are very used to then another can sound just plain strange because it is so different. Grados are very different headphones.

I'm not saying I'm the end all be all when it comes to headphone evaluation. It could be you just don't like them which is certainly fine. It's part of what makes this intensely subjective hobby fun!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #56 of 1,653
When I read this I don't understand a thing, sorry... Can you be more specific please, because I am looking at them to try.
Meaning:

1. Source been used
2. Music type
3. Bass
4. Mids
5. Highs
6. Instrument separation
7. Soundstage
8. Balance between instruments
9. Upfront / up to your face sound
10. Few steps back sound

THX

Quote:

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #57 of 1,653
Last night, I was so disappointed of what I've heard from my new M-Audio Q40. Now, I found and audio term to describe the sound -"flange/flanging/flange sound effect"! Yes, It kind of too much "flange-effects" has been applied to the original sound that it was so unbearable it made me felt sick hearing it!

Well, coming home from work this morning, i said to myself, "it couldn't be...there must be something wrong..." and I starts tinkering with the connections while I listen to Eric Clapton's Change the World + flange-effect. I loosened up the threaded cord from the phone...tighten..loosen...tightened it up ssloowwly and then - BOOOMM, came the full sound sans "flange".

Now I'm positive that either the threaded phone jack or the plug is the culprit though not really sure what exactly the reason behind the flanging sound. Poor contacts? bad grounds? I don't know.

Yet the overall design of the Q40 is neat and simple. My only qualm, for now, are the crappy cable that came with it(need to replace this one) and the threaded connections - considered the weak point.

On SQ, so far so good - from a very short period of time (3-5 mins.) I've listened to these phones, I can say they have great potentials...sounds GOOD to me!

Blackmore, sorry for the vague descriptions I made on my first posts. It took me the whole night searching for the right words to describe the sound. With regards to your list of questions, I never have had time to sit down and listen to these phones yet sooo...but I hope my "little experience" with my new Q40s won't deter you from trying/acquiring this phones...

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #58 of 1,653
No probs, glad you found the issue and can enjoy them now, always a good thing after all.

You can always come back and report more of your new thoughts, just take some more time and let us know later, o.k.

Which portables did you use before them? You dont have to be a very qualified, just try to compare and use normal lenguage for description, like BASS IS NOT THAT BOOMY -UP FRONT or JUST STEP BACK or HIGHS ARE MORE CRYSTAL or THE WHOLE SOUND PRESENTATION HAVE BETTER CLARITY etc, etc...
When you tell us more about the whole set up and music you use with them, we can get much better impressions, thats all.
cool.gif

Quote:

Last night, I was so disappointed of what I've heard from my new M-Audio Q40. Now, I found and audio term to describe the sound -"flange/flanging/flange sound effect"! Yes, It kind of too much "flange-effects" has been applied to the original sound that it was so unbearable it made me felt sick hearing it!

Well, coming home from work this morning, i said to myself, "it couldn't be...there must be something wrong..." and I starts tinkering with the connections while I listen to Eric Clapton's Change the World + flange-effect. I loosened up the threaded cord from the phone...tighten..loosen...tightened it up ssloowwly and then - BOOOMM, there came the full sound sans "flange".

Soo, I was thinking either the threaded phone jack or the plug is the culprit. Personally, I do prefer the contacts not to be threaded.

The overall design of the Q40 is neat and simple. My only qualm, for now, are the crappy cable that came with it(need to replace this one) and the threaded connections(weak point). On SQ, so far so good - for a very short period of time (3-5 mins.) I've listened to these phones, I can say they have great potentials...sounds GOOD to me!

Blackmore, sorry for the vague descriptions I made on my first posts. It took me the whole night searching for the right words to describe the sound. With regards to your list of questions, I never have had time to sit down and listen to these phones yet sooo...but I hope my "little experience" with my new Q40s won't deter you from trying/acquiring this phones.

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #59 of 1,653
Very interesting experience EarG because a similar thing happened to me which I totally forgot about otherwise I would have suggested trying it. I, like you, can't stand the stock cable. I find it way too long and too stiff which makes for a very annoying cable. So I made myself one from a stock threaded plug I happened to have from one of my numerous recable jobs. After wiring everything up and screwing in the new cable I tried them out only to get both channels coming through the left driver. Very odd effect indeed. I thought I had messed something up. But then while the music was playing, I gave a slight twist to the cable and ba da boom ba da bing!

Glad to hear you sussed it out!

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #60 of 1,653
Yeah, the more the impressions, the best.
Warrior05, the headphones leak sound with the beyers pads too or with both?
Because i don't like that those headphones leak sound (i listen the music loud)
This is an slower headphone that the RP-21 or is faster? and the same vs the DT990.
Is shameful that you can't give enough information in the last question, but well, you aren't guilty for that
wink.gif
And, what happen with your signature (with the headphones)

Thank you again, and it would be a good idea to compare this headphone with the Denon D2000

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No probs, glad you found the issue and can enjoy them now, always a good thing after all.

You can always come back and report more of your new thoughts, just take some more time and let us know later, o.k.

Which portables did you use before them? You dont have to be a very qualified, just try to compare and use normal lenguage for description, like BASS IS NOT THAT BOOMY -UP FRONT or JUST STEP BACK or HIGHS ARE MORE CRYSTAL or THE WHOLE SOUND PRESENTATION HAVE BETTER CLARITY etc, etc...
When you tell us more about the whole set up and music you use with them, we can get much better impressions, thats all.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back