Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #61 of 1,452
Honestly I think that the price is a fake problem and I'll explain myself better... what I was looking for, when I bought the W1, was something that came close in audio quality to a mid-tier dap and in the end I found that. Having a device, with no battery, no android versions to worry about, that didn't suffer from aging and app compatibility or other amenities that have little to do with us audiophiles was what I was looking for. Now this W4 draws half the current and that's fine, it's got double the power and that's fine but how will it compare in sound to the daps? Will it compare to the mid-tier ones? Will it compare to the top-tier ones? This, for me, is the only thing that really matters... 600 dollars isn't cheap but if it doesn't make me regret the 3k/4k of a top-tier daps I'd be happy to spend it. Last thing... L&P made us enticed with the presets for the various iems... too bad they implemented too few (serious lack) those like me who can try the W1/W2 with the IER-Z1R will understand what I'm saying a lot Well. At least the presets for today's top iems (shure 846??? Xelento???) would be a useful implementation (Trailli, Jewel, Odin, etc... etc...)

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #64 of 1,452
Chord makes excellent DAC with terrible aesthetic, IMO... also find it hard to fall in love with their sound signature regardless of how much I tried, which is why my Mojo is not being used much anymore. I am on the fence on W4 design as well, too A&K'ish.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #65 of 1,452
Two more pics from LP. :)

IMG_2117.jpeg
IMG_2118.jpeg

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #66 of 1,452
This in house chip better be at least as good as Chord's Mojo 2 chip, or else I have no interest in this product.
DAC isn't all about chip, it's about the overall engineering. W2 has shown what L&P can do with off-the-shelves chip, so with W4, it's L&P's first ever attempt at designing from the ground up. I think they are promising.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #68 of 1,452
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #69 of 1,452
Chord makes excellent DAC with terrible aesthetic, IMO... also find it hard to fall in love with their sound signature regardless of how much I tried, which is why my Mojo is not being used much anymore. I am on the fence on W4 design as well, too A&K'ish.
Looks like a lighter if you ask me 😊, but we will see how it feels in real life. At least I am confident that will be superior sounding to the W2.

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #70 of 1,452
Looks like a lighter if you ask me 😊, but we will see how it feels in real life. At least I am confident that will be superior sounding to the W2.

More like miniature jerry can :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just got a confirmation from a retailer on Taobao that it will indeed be RMB3999 / ~USD580.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #71 of 1,452

Just got a confirmation from a retailer on Taobao that it will indeed be RMB3999 / ~USD580.
It is very doubtful that it will be worth the money, but we'll see. this is the price of an midle DAP, which in general will have more opportunities. it has to be a masterpiece for it to be worth the money. I want to see the reverse side of the printed circuit board, I wonder if this photo will be posted...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #72 of 1,452

Of course, it is a bit expensive. However, we don't know much about their pricing policy. I recently checked the LP range and there are many things there that are not very well known on the international market. For example, cables and so on.
So it's still expensive for a dongle, but not so expensive for an LP product.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #74 of 1,452
Of course, it is a bit expensive. However, we don't know much about their pricing policy. I recently checked the LP range and there are many things there that are not very well known on the international market. For example, cables and so on.
So it's still expensive for a dongle, but not so expensive for an LP product.
Yes LP cables are expensive but I have the titanium housing, gold/ silver type C and the build quality and the feel is perfect.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #75 of 1,452

I gotta say, I'm also a bit curious about ergonomics of that multi-function wheel placement and accessing it while that is the side facing your smartphone/source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back