Looking for the best headphones for my tastes <$200
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #61 of 81
The master talks :) so its up to u now. I would advise looking up more opinions on the driveability of the denons though.  Do i doubt him? With that many cans and posts? No buy hearing the same from more is recommended. However grtting the denons would close the way for future headphones as u wont have an amp and god knows what ur plugging it into. Basically it all comes down to. How is ur wallett feeling? However i feel that headphones past the $70 price point should all use amps. Not onlyto wake up that last percent that ur missing but bc it wil sound better just from the improved corcutry in the amp than what ur ipod has to offer. My ipod barely drives my shure 440 to loud levels which is why im posting on the feasibility of denons being driven like childs toys

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #62 of 81
Nevermind, I found out the E10 is not a portable amp.

So is that a better choice than the E9 and E7 combo? The E10 And just get a different portable one, or should I just go for something completely different? 

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #63 of 81

Quote:
Nevermind, I found out the E10 is not a portable amp.

So is that a better choice than the E9 and E7 combo? The E10 And just get a different portable one, or should I just go for something completely different? 

What headphone u getting. Ehh doesnt matter anyway. E9 is overkill for makority of cans. The e7 i dont recommend anymore. The e7s succesor is almost about to be released. Its the e17 look it up. I might just say to skip a dedicated DAC for now and go with an E11 and Lod. The e9 is really overkill. And u can use the e11 for desktop too. Works in the same way as e9 with no diff other than more power. With an l9 lod u should be fine. The cirrus logic in ur ipod will be plenty good for u. However come the day u want a but more.... And the e10 will be waiting for u. The e11 wi/should work for ur purposes. But ull need to check with others that have the eadpbones to see if they r enough

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #66 of 81
Re: the Denon 2000

I've been looking for about 3 weeks, and they have been out of stock everywhere.
And continue to be. 

(At least in the USA.)

B&H lists them as "No Longer Available".

Even Denon USA doesn't have any, according to its website.

So unless you know of a place which has them available to ship, I think they're an illusory choice.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #67 of 81
Quote:
I was talking about the HFI 580's.
Sorry for that little bit of confusion.

Ultrasone HFI-580 is all about bass, the HFI-780 is better however like all ultrasones they do sound somewhat metallic. If all you listen too is electronica and the likes then you're going to love them, on the other hand play anything with real instruments and there flaws are apparent. Both the 580 and 780 don't require amping, the 780s sound just as good out of my Zune as they do out of my desktop amps.

I was talking about the Sennheiser HD580 which has now been replaced by the HD600, it's more of an all-round hi-fi sound which works well with all genres.

Perhaps it would help minimize the number of suggested headphones if you decided between a bass heavy hip-hop headphone and a neutral all-rounder.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #68 of 81

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI-580 is all about bass, the HFI-780 is better however like all ultrasones they do sound somewhat metallic. If all you listen too is electronica and the likes then you're going to love them, on the other hand play anything with real instruments and there flaws are apparent. Both the 580 and 780 don't require amping, the 780s sound just as good out of my Zune as they do out of my desktop amps.

I was talking about the Sennheiser HD580 which has now been replaced by the HD600, it's more of an all-round hi-fi sound which works well with all genres.

Perhaps it would help minimize the number of suggested headphones if you decided between a bass heavy hip-hop headphone and a neutral all-rounder.

Well said. Depends on if you want an all around and have the money for it. or you want a bass heavy heaphone that's also good in highs and mids(580) or you want one that has the bass but is more towards the higher range (780)

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #69 of 81
Gah, there are so many choices.
I am definitely leaning towards the 580's but I am still not sure.

Let's just put it this way, I want a closed pair that have a tight and noticeable bass. I definitely want to know it is there and I want to be able to feel it, but I don't want it too overwhelming and taking away from the other features as electronic isn't the only thing I'll be listening too. So it must also be at least decent for mid's and high's for piano's and lyrics in folk.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #70 of 81

Quote:
Gah, there are so many choices.
I am definitely leaning towards the 580's but I am still not sure.

Let's just put it this way, I want a closed pair that have a tight and noticeable bass. I definitely want to know it is there and I want to be able to feel it, but I don't want it too overwhelming and taking away from the other features as electronic isn't the only thing I'll be listening too. So it must also be at least decent for mid's and high's for piano's and lyrics in folk.

i am about to get them in a couple hours. but i can't tell you for sure. it takes a couple days to burn them in
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549442/ultrasone-hfi-580-unboxing-and-first-impressions
t
his review implies(or says) that it takes 600 hours to reach full potential and that the other ones say that it's got good mids and highs. so..on paper and from what everyone is saying it has everything you need. IDK i'll know in a couple hours :) 

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #71 of 81

Quote:
i am about to get them in a couple hours. but i can't tell you for sure. it takes a couple days to burn them in
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549442/ultrasone-hfi-580-unboxing-and-first-impressions
t
his review implies(or says) that it takes 600 hours to reach full potential and that the other ones say that it's got good mids and highs. so..on paper and from what everyone is saying it has everything you need. IDK i'll know in a couple hours :) 

Edit: bhp is temporarily out of stock for them. (Guess that's what I get for waiting), and everywhere else is much more expensive. This sucks, guess I'll be waiting a while or I'll have to find another pair.

I think you've convinced me to buy them. I haven't really seen anything bad about them, and from what I've been reading while they don't have as much bass as the M50's its bass is more refined along with everything else on them.

Now my only problem is whether I buy a desktop amp or a portable amp first.
I'm thinking portable though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #72 of 81

Quote:
I think you've convinced me to buy them. I haven't really seen anything bad about them, and from what I've been reading while they don't have as much bass as the M50's its bass is more refined along with everything else on them.

Sorry I'm not in a position to give you any feedback on the HFI 580's. 

Though I own the HFI 780's, and like them a lot, I've never listened to the 580's.

But you've mentioned more than once that you'll be buying from a dealer that accepts returns -
so if you're unhappy with the 580's after a week or so (obviously depends upon the specific dealers'
return policy - some give up to 30 days) - you can simply return them.

Or buy the 580 & ATH-M50 and return one of them.  Or keep both,  :)

Amps:  IMHO you should buy a portable amp, at least for now.
With FLAC files, a good portable amp, and good headphones you can achieve very, very good sound.
It's startling at times.

So which amp?

Get the JDS Labs CMoy.
It sounds excellent, and it's inexpensive.
http://www.jdslabs.com/
You'll have it in 2 days via Priority Mail.

You may be put off by the fact that it's housed in an
Altoids tin, but it does a fine job of protecting the innards -
and letting you change the (rechargeable) 9V battery easily.
OTOH, you may like the Altoids tin.

I think it sounds better than the Fiio E11, but I do carry an E11 with me.
because it's much more compact.  To my ears, though, its' not as
smooth as the CMoy.

I also recommend you get in touch via email with Gary at Electric Avenues,
and pick up one (or two) of his great little retro amps @ 60. each.
A fine sounding, nicely put together amp.  He ships from Canada and it
takes a couple of weeks for the amps to arrive in the States.  But they
have a really nice warm sound that's a great listen - and it sounds
different than either the CMoy or E11.  It's got a fatter, punchier sound
than either.

All 3 amps are just about the same price.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #73 of 81

Quote:
Edit: bhp is temporarily out of stock for them. (Guess that's what I get for waiting), and everywhere else is much more expensive. This sucks, guess I'll be waiting a while or I'll have to find another pair.

They have a far superior bass to the m50s, all the reviews were talking about the older model of the m50, which has a much bigger bass than the new one now.

Bass wise- Old M50> 518> New M50.

I hope you go with the 518. Wonderful headphones, I got bowwie006 up there to get them :wink:

Anyways, Good luck. 

Peace.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #74 of 81

Quote:

They have a far superior bass to the m50s, all the reviews were talking about the older model of the m50, which has a much bigger bass than the new one now.

Bass wise- Old M50> 518> New M50.

I hope you go with the 518. Wonderful headphones, I got bowwie006 up there to get them :wink:

Anyways, Good luck. 

Peace.

:) just received them. S-Logic is weird. it's not as..unfocused as i thought. everything i hear is said in the review. THESE need burn in. and from one post..about 600 hours to be killer good :)
They are not horrible at all.  howevef the highs and mids and lows all need a little work. more comfrotable than SRH440. the pads are very soft compared to them and i don't feel any killer sensation. good isolation. :) HIGHLY/VERY GOOD build quality. german engineering :)

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #75 of 81

Quote:
:) just received them. S-Logic is weird. it's not as..unfocused as i thought. everything i hear is said in the review. THESE need burn in. and from one post..about 600 hours to be killer good :)
They are not horrible at all.  howevef the highs and mids and lows all need a little work. more comfrotable than SRH440. the pads are very soft compared to them and i don't feel any killer sensation. good isolation. :) HIGHLY/VERY GOOD build quality. german engineering :)

Well, I hope you get used to the s-logic. I didn't. So I returned them and found the M50's far superior (even in the bass, I found the M50's having a better 30-60 Hz region, which is what I care about). However, it's a matter of preferences, and when it comes to s-logic, there are many many people here that just don't get it.

So, you recommended someone else to buy a couple of headphones you hadn't even heard? That's not very nice. You should at least have had the chance to properly criticize them before recommending anyone to buy a pair. That's how M50 got to be overly recommended to people who weren't looking for the sound of M50 - making it "overhyped" and a FOTM headphone. Oh well, enjoy your 580's, and enjoy your music through them! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back