Looking for the best headphones for my tastes <$200
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #46 of 81

Quote:
How much are tube replacements for them? And where can you buy them?

I really like the style of them, and if it's only a minor inconvenience I wouldn't mind investing some money into a nice one.

And what exactly are they called? Are they just retro desktop headphone amps? Or do they have a specific name?

(Sorry for all the questions everyone.)

Owning tube electronics is sort of a lifestyle thing - they need to be coddled, in effect.
They're far more delicate than transistor electronics.  For one thing, you've got the tubes themselves, housed in glass
They also become very hot in use and need appropriate ventilation.
'In other words, they're high maintenance compared with transistors.

Aficionados of tube electronics - whether headphone amps, stereo pre amps, stereo amps, guitar amps, and otherwise -
have their own opinions of which tubes sound best and which are the best value.  It's a topic of endless debate that's
been going on since the early days of audio equipment in the 1950's.

Tubes can run from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars each.
Take a look at this supplier's prices for various tubes: http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=459&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=vacuum%20tubes&utm_campaign=G_Part_Terms_Broad_Plain&utm_group=Vacuum_Tubes_Broad_Plain&9gtype=search&9gkw=vacuum%20tubes&9gad=7080750313.1&9gag=2242950433

Tubes should be replaced about once a year with normal usage.
(But, again, the tube cognoscenti like to be sure their tubes are "biased" correctly - among other things - so they'll often have
the replacement done by experts in boutique type audio repair shops which specialize in tube gear.

You can buy tube headphone amps at quality audio retailers and online as well.
About $250 and up...and up...and up...

They're called tube headphone amplifiers. 

Note: in the UK, tubes are called "valves".

[Hope this info answers some of your questions about tube audio gear.]

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #47 of 81

Quote:
I am no longer in the market for sub $300 headphones unfortunately. Or else I would try out some of the others like the Ultrasone. It sounds like it would of fit what I was going for with the M50's more to be honest but I think the M50s were better for me as far as insight is concerned. My next headphone will probably be the HD650 though it seems like and I'll finally get use out of my amp for real. I mostly bought if for future purposes though. But yeah, the FiiO will definitely be a great upgrade for you since you are going from built in sound. Enjoy it bro.

@Tubes There are so many places to buy them but look to the headfiers here to direct you to places with the best prices. They themselves are relatively cheap. Like maybe 30 dollars for a set of good ones?

Um.... My main setup is actually an ipod touch 2G which has a better DAC than all the current gen ios and ipods. it's an CS4398 used in the $100 ASUS Xonar DX dedicated sound card. Of which i then use an FiiO L9 with an HPC22W wire on it. to an FiiO E5. my E5 , i just broke a couple days ago and so i did something new

I went from my ipod. to LOD. and then into my desktop speakers. 
these are $150 Logitech Z623 winning product of the year on pcmag due to logitech again winning people's hearts(non audiophiles) with great music for a cheap price. the amplifier for the actual speakers and sub is 200W RMS and 400W max..however from what i hear. the headphone out on it is about 300mW @16 Ohms

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #48 of 81

Quote:

Owning tube electronics is sort of a lifestyle thing - they need to be coddled, in effect.
They're far more delicate than transistor electronics.  For one thing, you've got the tubes themselves, housed in glass
They also become very hot in use and need appropriate ventilation.
'In other words, they're high maintenance compared with transistors.

Aficionados of tube electronics - whether headphone amps, stereo pre amps, stereo amps, guitar amps, and otherwise -
have their own opinions of which tubes sound best and which are the best value.  It's a topic of endless debate that's
been going on since the early days of audio equipment in the 1950's.

Tubes can run from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars each.
Take a look at this supplier's prices for various tubes: http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=459&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=vacuum%20tubes&utm_campaign=G_Part_Terms_Broad_Plain&utm_group=Vacuum_Tubes_Broad_Plain&9gtype=search&9gkw=vacuum%20tubes&9gad=7080750313.1&9gag=2242950433

Tubes should be replaced about once a year with normal usage.
(But, again, the tube cognoscenti like to be sure their tubes are "biased" correctly - among other things - so they'll often have
the replacement done by experts in boutique type audio repair shops which specialize in tube gear.

You can buy tube headphone amps at quality audio retailers and online as well.
About $250 and up...and up...and up...

They're called tube headphone amplifiers. 

Note: in the UK, tubes are called "valves".

[Hope this info answers some of your questions about tube audio gear.]

Thank you very much for that.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #49 of 81
Going to give one last bump before I buy the 580's.

I'm willing to bump my price up to 300 dollars if there is a large difference in headphones for that price.

And once again thanks everyone for the help that you've given me.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #50 of 81
If you're willing to bump up the price I'd suggest something like the Denon D2000 or something along those lines. Maybe a FiiO E10 as well.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #52 of 81

Quote:
If you're willing to bump up the price I'd suggest something like the Denon D2000 or something along those lines. Maybe a FiiO E10 as well.

Quote:
Heya,

Agreed.

If you're willing to go $300, you're dangerously close to the D2000 and that would be the way to go if you were even considering the HFI 580 at all.

Very best,

The D2000's I pretty much need an amp for correct?
Would a portable amp be suffice enough until I can buy a desktop amp?

And is 350 the cheapest for them?

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #53 of 81

Quote:

The D2000's I pretty much need an amp for correct?
Would a portable amp be suffice enough until I can buy a desktop amp?

And is 350 the cheapest for them?

A portable amp will suffice...if you buy the right one..... I'm not sure but ask around. You'll be in luck if the FiiO E11 can amp then and make them sound good. If not..be prepared to spend $150-$220 for an portable that will.

If an $220 portable still can't drive it. your last bet for a cheap really good price to perfomranc ratio wise amp would be the FiiO E9($100 desktop, no DAC ). Remember to use it in conjunction with an LOD so your fully using the Cirrus Logic in your ipod. 

If The E11 can drive it and you want both portability and a desktop setup. then the FiiO E11 and E10 will do...that is IF the E11 has enough juice for them. the combined total for the two is $160 both have been reviewed to have performance double their price.

And i'll stick with my HFI 580's. as you can see from MalVeux's comment. He will recommend the Denon's over the Ultrasone's at this point..but factor in the price. $118 for the ultrasones and at least $350 for the Denon's. :/ i'll use that extra $200+ for a new amp and IEM thank you. :)
The denon's have been reviewed to be fan fricking tastic , im not saying they suck or anything. i just can't fathom spending almost 3X the price on something that supreme audiophiles would recommend over my current setup only when i bring up i have the cash flow for it.

Coq de Combat seems to imply that the E10's can drive them. if so. the E11's can do so too. The E10's are destkop Amp and Wolfson DAC, the E11 is an step amp only. Both are reasonably new with the E10 just launching...to rave reviews here on head-fi. And yes..the E10's look sexy.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #54 of 81
The E10 can drive them fine. So can the E11. But I haven't tried these on more expensive amps yet, so I don't know how much better the sound would be with a more expensive amp. However, the E10 makes them shine much better than my other amps (non-headphone amps) or my soundcard in my laptop or desktop computer. Otherwise Bowei006 explained pretty much all there is to know about the E10.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #55 of 81
In my opinion the Denons don't really benefit from an amp. When I owned the D2000s I owned a $30 sound card, a $200 solid-state Meier Headfive and an $800 Singlepower PPX3 SLAM... the soundcard powered them just as well. Of all the headphones I've owned the Denons have been the easiest to power and for that matter I'd recommend them if you're looking for a bass-monster. When I bought the D2000s they were $180 and even then I thought that was a bit steep for the sound they produced. The HD580 were around that price and a much better (as in another class) headphone.

You mention in your OP 'crisp and clean (Not muddy)' and modern classical, piano, alternative, indie, folk and able to distinguish each instrument easily. The D2000s are closed phones, this means there is no room for the notes to breath, they're rounded, not crisp, and muddy as a result of this. However being closed the reverberation gives the illusion of being deep and bass-heavy which they are, they aren't however accurate and will interject bass even when it's not there.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #56 of 81

Quote:
In my opinion the Denons don't really benefit from an amp. When I owned the D2000s I owned a $30 sound card, a $200 solid-state Meier Headfive and an $800 Singlepower PPX3 SLAM... the soundcard powered them just as well. Of all the headphones I've owned the Denons have been the easiest to power and for that matter I'd recommend them if you're looking for a bass-monster. When I bought the D2000s they were $180 and even then I thought that was a bit steep for the sound they produced. The HD580 were around that price and a much better (as in another class) headphone.

You mention in your OP 'crisp and clean (Not muddy)' and modern classical, piano, alternative, indie, folk and able to distinguish each instrument easily. The D2000s are closed phones, this means there is no room for the notes to breath, they're rounded, not crisp, and muddy as a result of this. However being closed the reverberation gives the illusion of being deep and bass-heavy which they are, they aren't however accurate and will interject bass even when it's not there.

Hm, I'm guessing all closed phones are like this then? I'm not really interested in buying an open pair, right now anyways.

And you also mentioned the D2000's being a bit lackluster for their price point.
Should I just go with the 580's, and buy a decent portable and desktop amp instead?
I don't really want to potentially waste money when I won't be getting a better bang for my buck,

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

Hm, I'm guessing all closed phones are like this then? I'm not really interested in buying an open pair, right now anyways.

And you also mentioned the D2000's being a bit lackluster for their price point.
Should I just go with the 580's, and buy a decent portable and desktop amp instead?
I don't really want to potentially waste money when I won't be getting a better bang for my buck,

For the most part all closed phones will exhibit something similar, for this reason you can definitely get a better sound for less with open phones. The HD580 are discontinued for their identical sounding twin the HD600, these are semi-open headphones and leak sound if that's an issue? If not it's a much better all-rounder and scales quite well with the right equipment.

I don't commute much but when I do I use some cheap ear buds (Yuin PK3) and look forward to my home setup on return. I personally would never bother trying to make a full-size headphone with a mobile amp work, too much hassle for too little benefit.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #58 of 81

Quote:

Graphicism makes a good point and if you want to go that way you can. but if you want good price to performance. you should first look up reviews on HFI 580 vs M50. . and then compre teh M50 to the Denon
but here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80
http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/532166/first-impression-ultrasone-hfi-580s
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-buy-or-no-buy-substantial-upgrade

most people would rather get the AHD200's over the M50s
so it looks like this
$350 AHD200> $118HFI 580> M50 $130
and yes...is it worth it in the long run? don't know. it's up to you know. That E10 or E11 would be an good investment

If you have the free money to spend. i say go with the AHD2000's. however if your like me. that has the money to spend but is a little iffy on spending money. The HFI's might be the better bet. add it in with an E10 and E11 that you can basically use with any set of headphones up to the HD600(?) I myself went with the HFI 580's...bc as u can see from the reviews. they are mad cheap. and i can spend the extra $200+ i saved on a new pair of SE215's, and a new E11...with plenty of spare change.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #59 of 81

Quote:
Graphicism makes a good point and if you want to go that way you can. but if you want good price to performance. you should first look up reviews on HFI 580 vs M50. . and then compre teh M50 to the Denon
but here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80
http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/532166/first-impression-ultrasone-hfi-580s
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-buy-or-no-buy-substantial-upgrade

most people would rather get the AHD200's over the M50s
so it looks like this
$350 AHD200> $118HFI 580> M50 $130
and yes...is it worth it in the long run? don't know. it's up to you know. That E10 or E11 would be an good investment

Well if I buy the HFI's right now, I could buy the Fiio E10 right now as well.
Or E9 and E7.
Or should I just buy the E10, and invest in a different desktop amp?

Quote:

For the most part all closed phones will exhibit something similar, for this reason you can definitely get a better sound for less with open phones. The HD580 are discontinued for their identical sounding twin the HD600, these are semi-open headphones and leak sound if that's an issue? If not it's a much better all-rounder and scales quite well with the right equipment.

I don't commute much but when I do I use some cheap ear buds (Yuin PK3) and look forward to my home setup on return. I personally would never bother trying to make a full-size headphone with a mobile amp work, too much hassle for too little benefit.

I was talking about the HFI 580's.
Sorry for that little bit of confusion.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #60 of 81
Heya,

I'm just bewildered with all this "Denon's need an amp" and "Denons are hard to drive' nonsense.

They're made, from the ground up, to be able to run from any source without discreet amplification.

You do not need an amplifier. Not even a portable one.

My D2K's an D5K's run from a basic Sansa Fuze and my Android great. Sounds pretty much the same from my actual amps too.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back