Looking for the best headphones for my tastes <$200
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

venalitious

Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm interested in buying a pair of headphones.

I have zero clue which are generally considered "the best" and "the worst", so I'm looking for some guidance and recommendations.

I had a pair of IE8 IEM's, and they got wrecked, but while I had them I loved them, but wanted to try something different this time.

Deep bass is a necessity as I listen to a bit of Drum and Bass and hip-hop, but they also need to be crisp and clean (Not muddy) as I listen to quite a bit of modern classical, piano, etc.
As well as alternative, indie,folk, etc... I want to be able to distinguish each instrument easily. Sorry I can't really describe what I'm really looking for more specifically, I'm not good with the terminology.

Not too sure how much isolation headphones have or can have, but not much is needed since I will generally only be using them at home. But with that said I would prefer not to buy a pair that needs an amp, unless there is a really good and cheap portable one. I'll also probably being wearing them for long periods of time, so them being comfy is needed (I have Tritton AX 720's which I use for my 360 and PS3, and I can wear those all day long without feeling a thing, so you can use them as reference)

And I would prefer it to be 200 dollars or less, although I can go up to 300 if there is really that much of a difference in terms of quality and comfort.

Sorry for this being a bit lengthy but I just want to get the best pair for my needs. 
Thanks in advance everyone.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 81

Quote:
Any other recommendations anyone?

More specificity would be useful, as would narrowing down the very broad criteria.

(Isolation doesn't matter, listen to a wide variety of music, price up to $300, deep bass, crisp and clean sound,
comfortable, would rather not have an amp unless a "really good" cheap and portable one is available...)

Point is - not being critical here.  :)  - there are dozens of headphones that you might like based on what you posted.

In the meantime, I'd be looking at the usual suspects; the top headphones in your price range.
Such as products from Beyer, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio-Technica, Ultrasone -

There are some excellent (& recent) buying guides here on HF.

One thing that would be very helpful:
Let us know what type of music player you have, and what kind of music files it contains (e.g. FLAC, MP3)

Cheers,

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 81

Quote:
More specificity would be useful, as would narrowing down the very broad criteria.

(Isolation doesn't matter, listen to a wide variety of music, price up to $300, deep bass, crisp and clean sound,
comfortable, would rather not have an amp unless a "really good" cheap and portable one is available...)

Point is - not being critical here.  :)  - there are dozens of headphones that you might like based on what you posted.

In the meantime, I'd be looking at the usual suspects; the top headphones in your price range.
Such as products from Beyer, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio-Technica, Ultrasone -

There are some excellent (& recent) buying guides here on HF.

One thing that would be very helpful:
Let us know what type of music player you have, and what kind of music files it contains (e.g. FLAC, MP3)

Cheers,

I'll be using an iPod Touch Fourth Generation, or be hooking it up to my PC. 
95% of my music is 320kbs, with a few FLAC albums, and some rare lo-fi albums. 

Only thing I'm having trouble with is specifying exactly what it is I am looking for in the headphones to help you guys narrow the choices for me down as I don't have any experience with them.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 81
First Off, If You Have An Album That You Bought, You Can Go Pirate The FLAC As Long As It's The Same Version Of The Album That You Own... 

Get A Nice Firewire Preamp, I Like The Yamaha Audiogram 3 Which Eliminates Most Static, And USB -> Amp -> 1/4th -> 3.5 Sounds Nice.... 

Get FLAC Files From Now On, And Get A Converter If You Want to use mp3's 

As For Headphones, Here You Go

Home Use = Get Open Cans

For Comfort, Go Sony MDR XB1000  The Bass Is Heavier, But Not Muddy... These Aren't "Top Tier Headphones" But You Don't Need Top Tier If You're Not Buying An Amp For Them... If FLAC Isn't A Necessity yet, Neither Is A Top Tier Headphone... Period.... 

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 81

Quote:
First Off, If You Have An Album That You Bought, You Can Go Pirate The FLAC As Long As It's The Same Version Of The Album That You Own... 

Get A Nice Firewire Preamp, I Like The Yamaha Audiogram 3 Which Eliminates Most Static, And USB -> Amp -> 1/4th -> 3.5 Sounds Nice.... 

Get FLAC Files From Now On, And Get A Converter If You Want to use mp3's 

As For Headphones, Here You Go

Home Use = Get Open Cans

For Comfort, Go Sony MDR XB1000  The Bass Is Heavier, But Not Muddy... These Aren't "Top Tier Headphones" But You Don't Need Top Tier If You're Not Buying An Amp For Them... If FLAC Isn't A Necessity yet, Neither Is A Top Tier Headphone... Period.... 

Sorry to ask, but what is a firewire preamp? They seem to be generally expensive.
And portable amps compared to I guess "home" amps? How large of a difference in quality is there? Because I'll probably end up buying a portable one down the line, but if regular ones are a much better investment I might buy one as well.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 81
A Firewire Preamp Is A Preamp That Sends Sound Via USB Or Via Firewire Cables.... If You Dont Have A Firewire Port It Still Sounds Just As Good So Dont Worry... 
They Cost Around 90... Just Go To Your Local Non Corporate Music Store (Guitars) And Ask Whats The Cheapest USB Preamp/Audio Interface They Have...

I Like My Preamp Too Because I Can Hook Up My Condenser Mic To It And Sing Along/Play Guitar Along

Also, USB Eleminates All Static While 3.5 Will Not Sound Nearly As Good Through Your Computer....

In Quality It Depends, But Lets Put It This Way: Anything With A 60MM Or Less Driver Will Be Driven Perfectly With An Ipod/Iphone...  A Preamp Wont Make The Sound Any Noticeably Better... 

Why Preamps Are Practical Is Because A USB Is Much Higher Quality Than A 3.5   Therefore When You're Playing Music Through Your Preamp, It will have less static, and a better bass response... You Also Have More Volume Control...

Ask Me As Many Questions As You'd Like... I Own A Pair Of The Headphones I Recommended You And I Also Used To Own Some HD-600's Which I Sold.... 

Personally, I Agree With You On Your Opinion Of Comfort>Quality Of Sound... Would You Rather Have A 60 Inch Tv? And Sit On The Floor Because You Spent Your Money OR A 40 Inch TV And A Really Nice Couch? The 1000's are the most comfortable headphones ever made, but you're sacrificing a little quality, but the cushions are so nice... 

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 81

Quote:

I'll be using an iPod Touch Fourth Generation, or be hooking it up to my PC. 
95% of my music is 320kbs, with a few FLAC albums, and some rare lo-fi albums. 

Only thing I'm having trouble with is specifying exactly what it is I am looking for in the headphones to help you guys narrow the choices for me down as I don't have any experience with them.

I suggest that you start with something classic, that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

320k files, IMO don't justify super headphones.  Eventually I think you'll move entirely to lossless; they sound better.

I'll make 2 recommendations

Grado SR 60i if you want an open phone
Sony MDR V6 if you want a closed phone.

They're both under $100., both in wide use and well respected for good reason.
I have gone through many headphones, yet still have the Sony V6's I bought years ago.
And yes, I listen to them from time to time as they have a unique sound that helped put them
into studios all over. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 81

Quote:

I suggest that you start with something classic, that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

320k files, IMO don't justify super headphones.  Eventually I think you'll move entirely to lossless; they sound better.

I'll make 2 recommendations

Grado SR 60i if you want an open phone
Sony MDR V6 if you want a closed phone.

They're both under $100., both in wide use and well respected for good reason.
I have gone through many headphones, yet still have the Sony V6's I bought years ago.
And yes, I listen to them from time to time as they have a unique sound that helped put them
into studios all over. 

I would honestly rather spend a little more money now and get some good mid-range headphones now that will last me a long time, rather than buy a lower end pair and end up upgrading sooner.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 81

Quote:
I would honestly rather spend a little more money now and get some good mid-range headphones now that will last me a long time, rather than buy a lower end pair and end up upgrading sooner.

OK, I understand.

Here are a few recommendations -

Grado SR 225i
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Shure 840
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 81

Quote:
OK, I understand.

Here are a few recommendations -

Grado SR 225i
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Shure 840
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Hmm, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Grado's, Shure's, and M50's. 
I've seen those three recommended the most for a sort of entry level, price/performance headphones.

Looking at portable amps, they're a lot cheaper than I remembered them being.
IF I were to get a portable amp to accompany one of these headphones, does anyone have any recommendations? It needs to be the size of or smaller than an iPod Touch.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 81

Quote:
Hmm, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Grado's, Shure's, and M50's. 
I've seen those three recommended the most for a sort of entry level, price/performance headphones.

Looking at portable amps, they're a lot cheaper than I remembered them being.
IF I were to get a portable amp to accompany one of these headphones, does anyone have any recommendations? It needs to be the size of or smaller than an iPod Touch.

You wanted deep bass, per your original post. Scratch the Grados off. The Shures can do bass, but it's more of a neutral natural bass. The M50 can do good bass, but there's other options that have better mids, sound stages, treble, etc.

Suggestion: Fischer Audio FA-003 (or rebranded HM5), Shure SRH840, Beyer DT770 PRO. As for portable amp, Digizoid ZO2.

Very best,

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 81

Quote:
You wanted deep bass, per your original post. Scratch the Grados off. The Shures can do bass, but it's more of a neutral natural bass. The M50 can do good bass, but there's other options that have better mids, sound stages, treble, etc.

Suggestion: Fischer Audio FA-003 (or rebranded HM5), Shure SRH840, Beyer DT770 PRO. As for portable amp, Digizoid ZO2.

Very best,

The FA-003's look a little large and seem like they'd grow cumbersome fast, although I won't dismiss it right away and I will look into it. And I'll look into the other two as well.
Also does the Digizoid ZO2 really improve the bass that much to justify a hundred dollar price tag? I'm not familiar with amps at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back