Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #976 of 3,408
Is it useful to change the power tubes? I've been looking at the Electro-Harmonix ones.

I've also been looking here
Vintage Audio Tubes Hi Fi Valves

The owner says he can get me a pair of WE 403B matched for $26.00, but the minimum order is $50. Does anyone know of any other tubes that will work on the MKIII? I've looked at the MKIII PDF manual and compared the compatible tubes to the site, but the 403B and 403A were the only ones I could find.

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #977 of 3,408
I have directed my tube rolling foucs on driver tubes. I do not recall if this is a quote from Penchum or Little Dot, but..."Power Tubes account for about 15% of the possible changes in SQ. The other 85% is the Driver Tubes."

Jun 10, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #978 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it useful to change the power tubes? I've been looking at the Electro-Harmonix ones.

I've also been looking here
Vintage Audio Tubes Hi Fi Valves

The owner says he can get me a pair of WE 403B matched for $26.00, but the minimum order is $50. Does anyone know of any other tubes that will work on the MKIII? I've looked at the MKIII PDF manual and compared the compatible tubes to the site, but the 403B and 403A were the only ones I could find.

Just remember that if you go to a 6H30 type power tube, you must do the resistor mod first. On a MKIII, it can be a challenge for sure. On a MKII, it is much easier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #979 of 3,408
MKII user here.

I'm finding the stock tubes to be a bit bright so I'm looking for something with smoother highs. I'd like for the low end to be more prominent and robust, however without any extra "punch". I think the mid/mid-bass is fine as it is and I'm not looking for any sort of bloat in that area. I suppose the best way I can describe this is that I'm looking for a more wholesome, organic presentation. Any recommendations?

Not looking to spend a whole lot; this will be my first tube rolling experience.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #980 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Project22a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MKII user here.

I'm finding the stock tubes to be a bit bright so I'm looking for something with smoother highs. I'd like for the low end to be more prominent and robust, however without any extra "punch". I think the mid/mid-bass is fine as it is and I'm not looking for any sort of bloat in that area. I suppose the best way I can describe this is that I'm looking for a more wholesome, organic presentation. Any recommendations?

Not looking to spend a whole lot; this will be my first tube rolling experience.

Try the United Electron EF92 or Mullard's M8161. Both have much better bass performance with the Mullard being a bit more emphatic in its presentation.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #981 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the United Electron EF92 or Mullard's M8161. Both have much better bass performance with the Mullard being a bit more emphatic in its presentation.
wink.gif

X2 DoA is right on the money, as usual.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #982 of 3,408
After much investigation I have discovered that one of the stock power tubes in my MK3 sounds so very off.

I'm looking to get them upgraded to something better (without resistor modding.)
Could someone suggest some and where I could purchase them?

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #983 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well
biggrin.gif
it seems that distortion problems stemmed from one bad power tube.

A few days ago during all my testing trying to find the source of the distortion I neglected to switch the power tubes out. So today I tried a pair of Chinese 6n6 tubes I had laying around from my MK II days and lo and behold all of the distortion disappeared.

Apparently one of the stock tubes has been on their way out since my MK III arrived which explains why my beloved Mullard 6am6 tubes sounded like crap the day my MK III arrived.

So I am back to Mullard 8161 bliss. My only issue now is that I need some new 6H6PI power tubes. I feel like I am missing something by using these regular 6h6 tubes.

Wow, having read that, this is exactly what has happened to my tubes.
I'm a bit relieved to know the distortion will be gone too.

Makes me wonder about the quality of the stock tubes LD ships out with though...

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #984 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by karn1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After much investigation I have discovered that one of the stock power tubes in my MK3 sounds so very off.

I'm looking to get them upgraded to something better (without resistor modding.)
Could someone suggest some and where I could purchase them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karn1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, having read that, this is exactly what has happened to my tubes.
I'm a bit relieved to know the distortion will be gone too.

Makes me wonder about the quality of the stock tubes LD ships out with though...

Ya, not to worry though. They bench test all unit prior to shipping, so tubes that are "flaky" upon arrival, are due to handling during shipping. If you email DavidZ and tell him what tube is bad, he will send you out a replacement. They have been very good about this.
smily_headphones1.gif

For a power tube without the resistor mod, you would be looking for a pair of 6H6N-PI tubes. Usually, someone from Russia is selling them on eBay in lots of 8 or 10, for a nice price. The -PI will look like a backwards "N".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #985 of 3,408
Quote:

MKII user here.

I haven't tried as many tubes as some of the people around here but I can recommend the Brimar Ediswan CV138/6AM6 that audiwrx is selling on ebay. I didn't try them for awhile because of someone's post here but they haven't come out of my LD since I put the jumpers on last week. They have a wonderful organic tube sound, nice soundstage, very smooth treble and sound good with all types of music but especially vocal and acoustic. Only weakness might be that the bass is also smooth if you prefer more prominent bass.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #986 of 3,408
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna try out those Mullard 8161's first and go from there. Is there a preferred place to buy these?

EDIT: I'm gonna have to install those jumpers to use these, correct?

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #987 of 3,408
Quote:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna try out those Mullard 8161's first and go from there. Is there a preferred place to buy these?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the 8161's are my favorite so far! I got mine NOS unwrapped on eBay for about $20 with shipping. Quote:

I'm gonna have to install those jumpers to use these, correct?

Yes.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #988 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the 8161's are my favorite so far! I got mine NOS unwrapped on eBay for about $20 with shipping.Yes.

Hey Oat!

Gotta love those top end EF92's for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have always felt, that they give us more "tube" sound than the EF95's, "generally". Mullard really had the "tube" sound down to a science IMHO.

I'm going to switch my MKIVse back to EF92 mode today, and start with the M8161's or 6CQ6's again. I miss listening with them late at night, using my HD-650's.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to try the pre-amp output of the MKIVse with my mini-digital system, to see if that "tube" sound carries through decently. It sure would be interesting to have a T-amp sound more tube like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #989 of 3,408
Just a reminder that there is a thread for posting night time pics of your tubes glowing!!! Get out your digital cameras and show us how cool your tube glow looks!! Here is the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/nig...m-here-290757/

It's lots of fun to look through too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #990 of 3,408
Yeah, when I got interested in using a tube rather than SS amp for 'phones, I had a certain 'sound' in mind. The 8161's come as close to that vision as I can find. I've also found that I generally like the Mullard sound over anything else when playing my bass through tube pre-amps.
I'd still like to try those Sylvania's everyone likes when I find a good deal on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back