Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #676 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone finds out info on the Bugle Boy series, please post it. Maybe this is Amperex's own build?? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I read that Bugle boys are Holland built Amperex's which were specifically engineered for high quality audio. They are rare, and sound really great in guitar amps! Good find!

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #677 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I read that Bugle boys are Holland built Amperex's which were specifically engineered for high quality audio. They are rare, and sound really great in guitar amps! Good find!

I got really lucky with them. The seller just had them listed only as EF92s. So I sent him a message and asked what brand they were. He replied they were Amperex's, so I did the BIN thing. When they arrived, I about fell out of my chair when I saw they were Bugle Boys. Sadly, I haven't found another set for sale since then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #678 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
golgi, Do you have a picture of your EF92 Amperex you could post? I curious. Most of the EF92's I see on eBay are all Mullards and various rebadged Mullards. Not that that's a bad thing. Mullard seemed to dominate the EF92 world is all.

Certainly:
amperex1.jpg

amperex2.jpg

On the box it says the box is made in Holland. The tubes say they are made in Great Brittain. Although the boxes don't have any date on them, they do look to be fairly old and discolored. The cardboard is kind of falling apart and is very delicate. I wonder how old these things are. I also got these for a low price on ebay.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #679 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe this will help?
History - Amperex

Lots of info, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jim, I got all but the Russian tubes from ebay seller Yen1233. He is outsatnding and the tubes are matched pairs.

I bought the Amperex tubes from him. Shipped quickly and packed well. My order arrived today, actually - off to clean the pins and try them out
biggrin.gif

EDIT: The dealer must have cleaned the pins... nice! 5 hours on them as of now, so far so good.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #681 of 3,408
Where do you guys buy stuff to clean the pins? Do you use De-oxit or something special. Just spray or scrub a little too? Just the pins right? You don't spray anything into the connectors do you?

I'm such a rookie..but I'm having a blast!!

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #682 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the box it says the box is made in Holland. The tubes say they are made in Great Brittain. Although the boxes don't have any date on them, they do look to be fairly old and discolored. I wonder how old these things are.

The made in GB is a sure sign they're Mullard made. 1969 I'd guess. (number in your pic)

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #683 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the sound from the 8161s compare to the Telefunken EF91s (before they distort)?
I'm looking for something with similar sound... but something that works
biggrin.gif
It sounded like the 8161s might do the trick.

It's hard to compare because of the distortion that I have with the Telefunken. I'd say that the Mullard have a lot of similarities with my Tung-Sol. Maybe I'll try to burn the Telefunken again (24hrs) to see if that can fix the problem.
confused.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #686 of 3,408
It is possible that they may just be rebranded. However I have Mullard EF91 which also look very similar but don't sound anywhere near as good. I think tubes in the same family can look very similar and still be quite different.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #687 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is possible that they may just be rebranded. However I have Mullard EF91 which also look very similar but don't sound anywhere near as good. I think tubes in the same family can look very similar and still be quite different.

I'm not attempting to disparage your tubes, just vetting the facts - a fact finding mission for self-education and for all.

I totally agree with "I think tubes in the same family can look very similar and still be quite different". You have to be very careful in correlating physical to the audible, but the plate cut-outs in your tubes and the ones I posted are too close for coincidence. Most of the EF95's I have (13 varieties) look a lot alike, but there are minor differences. Also Amperex never had a plant in the U.K. from what I've read. Any Amperex, house made, would be US or Holland in origin.

EF91's are known to be problematic in all LD amps so SQ of Mullard EF91's would not reflect on Mullard EF92's or EF95's.

Any one wanna take sides
biggrin.gif
(just kidding)

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #688 of 3,408
I didn't realize they didn't have plants in the UK. In that case you probably are correct then.

Oh well, I got some good tubes at low price that sound great but aren't real Amperex. But at least now I've got something to look forward to since I could search for some real Amperex tubes in which case they should sound even better.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #689 of 3,408
Again I'm not really a tube expert but the whole Philips/Amperex/Mullard/Sylvania etc. conglomerate was a mess with factories making each others' designs. Mullard made tubes that were sold under all kinds of brand names. Also communist Russia and China copied Western tubes including Mullards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back