Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #361 of 2,322

The Oppo PM-1 have a fairly high sensitivity of 102 dB/mW so the 1000 would most likely be WAY OVERKILL for me. I should be find with the 450 or 720. I wrote Larry Ho and he told me to get the 720 so I would have more flexibility in the future. Seems reasonable. I wonder how long it would take to get. Loving the PM-1 straight out of an Ipad right now. Can only imagine with the Geek Out.

Send me your PM-1 for a bit and I'll let you know how it sounds out the 720 and 1000. :wink:

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #363 of 2,322
  LMAO. Sounds like a deal!

Depending on where you're located, there are a few Head-Fi meets coming up in the next couple months where a Geek Out will be present. Could be a great way to test it out for yourself before buying if you haven't already. If you have one coming, then it should be soon-ish.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #364 of 2,322

The Oppo PM-1 have a fairly high sensitivity of 102 dB/mW so the 1000 would most likely be WAY OVERKILL for me. I should be find with the 450 or 720. I wrote Larry Ho and he told me to get the 720 so I would have more flexibility in the future. Seems reasonable. I wonder how long it would take to get. Loving the PM-1 straight out of an Ipad right now. Can only imagine with the Geek Out.

Yeah, if that the case, I think GO720 suits you more and also prepare you for future headphones. I think you will enjoy it more when listening with Geek Out. At least I did. :wink:

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #365 of 2,322
I'm no technical expert, and am probably doing it wrong, but I find sometimes using the high output jack on the GO 1000 just sounds better. I just got Thinksound on1 in the mail, thought it sounded a bit muddy through my Fiio X3 (with or without ALO National amp), figured I'd try it with the Geek. The 0.47 ohm was a bit better, still a bit muddy. Put it on the 47 Ohm, cleared up, sounds nice. I've tried it on a number of headphones, find sometimes I like the one that shouldn't be the correct one.

Wow, you just got Thinksound On1? I was wondering if any Geek Out owner using On1. From reviews it performs quite good at its price range. Maybe need some burn in since both the Geek Out and On1 are new. Looking forward to hear more from you about the On1. :wink:

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #366 of 2,322
Sure, the On1 is really well regarded by many on the Discovery Thread In Whose Ears I Trust. Have it hooked up on my burn-in station now, give it some burn in time, post again. They are gorgeous. How do you like the in ears?
I'm no technical expert, and am probably doing it wrong, but I find sometimes using the high output jack on the GO 1000 just sounds better. I just got Thinksound on1 in the mail, thought it sounded a bit muddy through my Fiio X3 (with or without ALO National amp), figured I'd try it with the Geek. The 0.47 ohm was a bit better, still a bit muddy. Put it on the 47 Ohm, cleared up, sounds nice. I've tried it on a number of headphones, find sometimes I like the one that shouldn't be the correct one.

Wow, you just got Thinksound On1? I was wondering if any Geek Out owner using On1. From reviews it performs quite good at its price range. Maybe need some burn in since both the Geek Out and On1 are new. Looking forward to hear more from you about the On1. :wink:

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #367 of 2,322
Sure, the On1 is really well regarded by many on the Discovery Thread In Whose Ears I Trust. Have it hooked up on my burn-in station now, give it some burn in time, post again. They are gorgeous. How do you like the in ears?

I have Thinksound ms01 and ts02+mic. I like both of them with ms01 more neutral sounding and ts02 is on the warm side, but I still enjoy the extra warm. Both benefited from Geek Out. Instruments clarity has improved and soundstage is wider. Loving it so far!

Another thing I like about Thinksound products (apart from the greener approach in their products design), they are quite comfortable and not fatiguing. I can listen to them for hours. :wink:

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #368 of 2,322
I changed my order from GO450 to GO1000 based on your previous impression and now back again to GO450 on your latest feedback. LOL. I will be using the GO with 5 driver Custom IEM. 

Quote:
  Using UERM today with the Geek Out 450, 1000, ODAC, & Leckerton 6S Mk. II.  Trying more combos, no HD800 today.  

Fast A/B not that easy as I have to let the Geek Outs fire up without any phones plugged in and moving the cables or inserting the phones can break the connection with the computer.

Made some changes to the System and Audirvana preferences/settings.  Think I have the volume control figured out now after Larry's post #266 in this thread and the LH Labs Mac Instructions posted above.  I am controlling volume with the laptop's volume buttons and can see them affecting the Geek Out's volume slider in Audio Midi as well as the dial on the Audirvana player.  I don't push the buttons on the Geek Out for volume anymore.

From Larry, post #266 (red emphasis is mine): "Thanks for this nice report. And the way you use volume is correct. Mac OS and Audirvana will be the master of volume control. And Geek Out maintain a local settings copy by these two buttons. When you reset the volume in computer, it will restore back to computer's setting."

Other settings help:  http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekout/1040-geek-101-macintosh-set-up-guide.html

After changing settings and playing more with just the UERM today, it is no longer clear to me that the 1000 is better than the 450 for them. 
redface.gif
 I'll keep burning them in and will report anything else after some more time with them.

Also, anyone else getting any distortion or artifacts during play?  Have an idea that it is the fast-switching that I am trying to do that is causing it today (not warmed up properly), plus the cable is getting a bit loose. I need to listen to <just one unit> all day to see what's what...

Was mostly enjoying music on Friday/Saturday nights, now I'm back to testing again!!
confused_face.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #369 of 2,322
My GO1000 review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/lhlabs-geek-out/reviews/10882

"The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device. Light Harmonic already created and sold the Da Vinci DAC, an award winning $20,000+ DAC, but they wanted to take a chance and bring a more affordable device to the masses.

Kickstarter crowdfunding was used to successfully fund into the project. As an "investor" into the Geek Out, I felt connected with the project. I and the other backers wanted it to succeed. We offered advice that changed the device into a better one over time. We told LH Labs what we wanted, and they listened. I got in as an early backer, and got an incredible deal on an incredible device. I kick myself for not getting in earlier and getting an even bigger discount. Even at retail, the Geek Out is still a steal.

I have the Silver Geek Out 1000, and this sucker is powerful. It is easily as powerful as my 1000mW Aune T1. The GO is being powered from USB alone, where the T1 has a giant power supply that needs to be plugged in. The Geek Out also happens to support 96khz+ and DSD, which the T1 can't do. The GO also sounds much better, and does it for the same price.

The device itself is smaller than a deck of cards, is lightweight, and has a beautiful aluminum shell. A LED alignment shows you physically on the device what bitrate your music is being played in. The two outputs offer different resistance modes 0.47ohm and 47ohm, which can be used simultaneously, or to better match your equipment. The GO is so powerful, that I normally run it on the 47ohm line out most of the time. Although I no longer have it, I'm sure the GO 1000 could easily support the HE-500 and most other demanding headphones as well.

Sound quality is stunning. "I'm hearing things I never heard before" is so cliche in an audio review, but it is 100% true here. Soundstage, imaging, bass tightness, clarity, power, a black background, impact... it's all there in spades. I find it more enjoyable than my old Audio-GD 11.32 unit, which was no slouch in sound, and was $350+.

The GO also has this unique ability to "change" the sound signature of some headphones, yet it doesn't color the sound and remains neutral. Let me try to explain this, because it might not make sense at first. Some headphones that I have previously found "a little hollow" or not as enjoyable as I liked, now seem to have come alive and gotten better. Maybe it is from the increased detail this DAC gives, but it can really throw you off guard and question your opinions of your headphone and speaker gear through older DACs and amps. I think that's awesome, and its an intangible quality that wasn't expected.

Setup on Windows 8.1 was quick and easy. The LH Control Panel is simple and shows you basic info and volume control. Foobar2000 and the LH ASIO driver played with no issues.

I was unable to get the GO working on my Cyanogenmod 11 Nexus 5 Android Phone with USB Audio Player Pro however, which was disappointing. I connected the GO via a USB OTG Y cable, and provided it external battery power with 2.1A. It powered the device, but neither CM11 nor UAPP was able to initialize it. Hopefully this can be fixed or added in the future. My Aune T1 worked flawlessly with CM11 and UAPP. The GO would be the ultimate DAC/Amp for me if it could work off my Nexus too.

I'm blown away by the GO. It draws me in, and makes me want to listen to my music more. Mission accomplished LH. Well done, and thank you. Keep bringing this quality and pricing around, and I will continue to purchase them.

Just buy one already. I'm really excited at what the Geek Pulse and Geek Wave will bring when they arrive now."

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #370 of 2,322

I've been listening to the PM-1 with balanced cables from an amp that puts out well over 1000 mW rms into 32-Ohms - more than twice the power of the GO 1000's 500 mW into 32-Ohms.

So don't worry about the the GO 1000 being overkill for the PM-1.  It doesn't crave power anything like the Audeze LCD-2, but it does scale up nicely!

Mike

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #371 of 2,322

I changed my order from GO450 to GO1000 based on your previous impression and now back again to GO450 on your latest feedback. LOL. I will be using the GO with 5 driver Custom IEM. 

Yep, sorry about that!  Not sure what caused that sense on Saturday...  That's the danger of posting impressions too early.  Now I have to figure out if I "need" both 1000 and 450.  Definitely keeping 1000 for the HD800, will test 450 further with UERM and Focal Spirit Pro. Hope you dig the 450!
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #372 of 2,322
CEE TEE: I'll be keeping one of each so you can just borrow the 450 when you want to :wink:

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #374 of 2,322
  I haven't been able to get mine to work yet on my Galaxy Note II.  I have connected directly and through a powered hub.  I have also tried UAPP with no luck either.  

I was unable to get the GO working on my Cyanogenmod 11 Nexus 5 Android Phone with USB Audio Player Pro however, which was disappointing. I connected the GO via a USB OTG Y cable, and provided it external battery power with 2.1A. It powered the device, but neither CM11 nor UAPP was able to initialize it. Hopefully this can be fixed or added in the future. My Aune T1 worked flawlessly with CM11 and UAPP. The GO would be the ultimate DAC/Amp for me if it could work off my Nexus too.

I think you should contact the developer of UAPP.
Alongside the best sound quality rendering, one of the other advantages of UAPP is that its developer can be contacted and its USB audio soft driver could be adapted to be compatible with some USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4560#post_10485334

In the meantime, we could anaIyse your Geek Out-Android device dmesg output log file,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/60#post_8428180
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1395#post_9069866
and the USB descriptors of the Geek Out using USB View.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2025#post_9320708

The analysis could be proceeded as following: compare a dmesg output issued from a successful Android device - USB DAC interworking (i.e. Nexus 5 - Aune T1 dmesg output) to a bugged dmesg output (i.e. Nexus 5 - Geek Out dmesg output).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/75#post_8469751
The USB errors of a dmesg output are listed at the following links:
http://www.kneuro.net/cgi-bin/lxr/http/source/include/asm-arm/errno.h
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/error-codes.txt
http://www-numi.fnal.gov/offline_software/srt_public_context/WebDocs/Errors/unix_system_errors.html
http://www.kneuro.net/cgi-bin/lxr/http/source/include/linux/usb.h?a=mips#L427

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #375 of 2,322
my GO 720 has shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back