LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Mar 20, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #617 of 1,179
Hi,
I've been thinking about picking up some DT1350's, but was wondering if they put the V10 into High gain mode without cable adapter tricking things into Aux mode which many claim is high gain mode.  I have some Oppo PM-3s which are not powered enough by "normal audio" mode, and improve with AUX mode, but not enough for my tastes.  When paired with a Cayin C5 things get good.  I'd like to use my V10 alone but am not sure I can get enough gain to feel satiated.  Yes, I like Bass.  I'd love to know your thoughts.
Thanks

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #618 of 1,179
  Hi,
I've been thinking about picking up some DT1350's, but was wondering if they put the V10 into High gain mode without cable adapter tricking things into Aux mode which many claim is high gain mode.  I have some Oppo PM-3s which are not powered enough by "normal audio" mode, and improve with AUX mode, but not enough for my tastes.  When paired with a Cayin C5 things get good.  I'd like to use my V10 alone but am not sure I can get enough gain to feel satiated.  Yes, I like Bass.  I'd love to know your thoughts.
Thanks

The DT1350s are 80 ohms, so they should get the phone into high impedance mode with no tricks

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #619 of 1,179
So my Verizon V10 has marshmallow on it now. Among other changes, the hifi dac works with every app I've tested it with so far without any trickery and without the hifi dac fix app. Works on YouTube, Netflix, xiialive, poweramp alpha, the optimum online tv streaming app from cable vision, and I'm assuming everything else now as well.

This is tested with a Q701, and with this headphone the volume difference with the hifi dac enabled is very noticeable when toggled on and off.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #620 of 1,179
Thanks Hiphopscribe, So the BD DT1350s are at 80 ohms, so yes, they are above 50 ohms, but will these put out good bass via V10 in high gain mode?  Also, is the high mode and aux mode similar or the same?  I don't want to get new headphones just to get the phone into high gain mode...unless that high gain mode is better than Aux mode, and is something special above and beyond aux mode. From what I gather, aux mode and high gain mode sound the same, is this correct?  What are the best strong bass headphones that put the v10 into high gain mode, under $400, and under $200.  Thanks!

Jason, thanks for letting us know how your Verizon marshmallow update is affecting things...in a good way, keep us posted, I am very interested as I just rooted the v10, and I see the day after I did, they push out marshmallow.  Its kind of six here, half a dozen there.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #621 of 1,179
  Thanks Hiphopscribe, So the BD DT1350s are at 80 ohms, so yes, they are above 50 ohms, but will these put out good bass via V10 in high gain mode?  Also, is the high mode and aux mode similar or the same?  I don't want to get new headphones just to get the phone into high gain mode...unless that high gain mode is better than Aux mode, and is something special above and beyond aux mode. From what I gather, aux mode and high gain mode sound the same, is this correct?  What are the best strong bass headphones that put the v10 into high gain mode, under $400, and under $200.  Thanks!

You know what, I've sort of assumed from what others have said that high gain and aux mode are the same, and I've even passed that info along to others, but your question prompted me to do a little more testing, and I now believe that Aux mode actually falls in-between normal audio mode and high impedance mode.

I plugged in my XPT100s, which put me in high impedance mode, and a volume level of 35 produced comfortable listening level, and then I removed the cable from my XPT100's and plugged the cable in first, which put me in aux mode, and I had to increase the volume to about 45 to reach the good output. I don't know a way to trick it into normal audio mode with these headphones, but my experience with my in-ear (MA750s) going between normal audio and then tricking it into aux mode tells me that there is also definitely a noticable difference between those modes.

It seems to me now that it is actually more of a low-mid-high gain situation, rather than just low and high. This probably warrants further testing with different headphones and other users to confirm, and also I'm still on Lollipop, so I can't say if it's the same on Marshmallow. 

As for your question about bass, I would say that the V10 tends toward a fairly neutral sound signature, but with headphones that already have a bass emphasis, I think the V10 will deliver bass just as it should. I tend toward neutral headphones and then adjust for different music, so I use Poweramp Alpha's bass boost at about 20% and increase a little for some genres. Can't help much on recommendations for strong bass headphones though, not really what I go for. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #622 of 1,179
Just use any cable with an in-line mic/remote (if you have one) to get normal power. Doesn't matter what the impedance of the headphones are when that type of cable is used; V10 always goes to normal.

You might be right about aux vs. high power. Initially, when I found the aux mode, I wasn't sure if it was as loud and dynamic as high mode. Hard to do an A/B comparison between them but, since mic/remote cables do not function with high mode, there must be some difference no matter how minimal.

Let us know if you're able to confirm.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #623 of 1,179
  Just use any cable with an in-line mic/remote (if you have one) to get normal power. Doesn't matter what the impedance of the headphones are when that type of cable is used; V10 always goes to normal.

You might be right about aux vs. high power. Initially, when I found the aux mode, I wasn't sure if it was as loud and dynamic as high mode. Hard to do an A/B comparison between them but, since mic/remote cables do not function with high mode, there must be some difference no matter how minimal.

Let us know if you're able to confirm.

Unfortunately I don't an in-line mic/remote, but the V10 does occasionally mistake my HD598s for having a mic, it pops open Google search, and in those instances it is normal audio mode. I'll have to pull them out an do the testing with them instead. I'll report back

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #624 of 1,179

Unfortunately I don't an in-line mic/remote, but the V10 does occasionally mistake my HD598s for having a mic, it pops open Google search, and in those instances it is normal audio mode. I'll have to pull them out an do the testing with them instead. I'll report back

Couldn't get my HD598s to do it, but I was successful with my HD600s. 

Comfortable listening level with hifi DAC by mode with HD600s:

Normal Audio - 75 (probably could use one more step, but this is the max)
Aux - 60
High Impedance - 50

So there do appear to be 3 different gain levels using the hifi amp

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #625 of 1,179

I'm so glad I got to see this message, I will never buy any LG again.
My LG G3 has this incredibly annoying issue, and they still haven't fixed it in newer models... LG never again.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #626 of 1,179
Im on marshmallow on verizon. Its only been a day and a half, but ive plugged in 2 different headphones and an aux cable a total of 8 times now and have yet to get the google voice search popup. Id get it about half the time id plug something into it before with lolipop. We will have to wait and see if it ends up poping back up eventuly, but so far so good.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #627 of 1,179
  I'm so glad I got to see this message, I will never buy any LG again.
My LG G3 has this incredibly annoying issue, and they still haven't fixed it in newer models... LG never again.

I have been experiencing this using my Etymotic ER4 and the V10. Stationary listening does not pose a problem but even casual walking will trigger the Google Now voice search. I am curious if I were to use an insulator on the location of the mic location on a TRRS plug will work to cease this undesired effect. Thinking of using either some heat shrink or some liquid electrical tape (spray or brush application since I have both...) will report back with findings. This way the modification is removable if needed and shouldnt cause any damage to the 3.5mm female housing.

EDIT: no dice, the even small material thickness does not allow for the plug to be installed, back to the drawing board......

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #628 of 1,179
  I have been experiencing this using my Etymotic ER4 and the V10. Stationary listening does not pose a problem but even casual walking will trigger the Google Now voice search. I am curious if I were to use an insulator on the location of the mic location on a TRRS plug will work to cease this undesired effect. Thinking of using either some heat shrink or some liquid electrical tape (spray or brush application since I have both...) will report back with findings. This way the modification is removable if needed and shouldnt cause any damage to the 3.5mm female housing.

EDIT: no dice, the even small material thickness does not allow for the plug to be installed, back to the drawing board......

It was a well known issue for the Lg G3. The fact that they haven't even bothered to fix it for the V10 tells me LG is a company that is not to be trusted, they never even acknowledged the issue.

The audio jack lies to the Android OS telling it that you plugged in a headset even if it's only headphones (the headset control is then triggered by some movements in the jack - like when you are moving), the only solution is to root the device and disable all headset controls in a system config somewhere. Or use only headsets.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #629 of 1,179
Does the V10 offer a line out option?

I have to get them out of the profile. Dynamic bass set at 60%. Viper bass set to normal bass mode, set at max, which is 17%. Don't recall the other settings, I'll check them later.
No.
Yes, it does.

Hi Guys, 

A little late to this party but I have been using a 3.5 mm male to male connector to connect the hifi dac aux out signal from the v10 to the line in of my fiio e18 with great results driving my AKG k7xx.  No distortion from double amping is present.  I believe the Hifi Dac Aux mode presents a line out at the headphone jack. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back