LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Apr 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #646 of 1,179
The MM update allows all apps access to the ESS DAC, as it turns on just plugging in headphones. I can get to “External device connected” with my Aurisonic Kickers, which boosts output considerably. Just have to disconnect the left IEM, plug into the phone, then reconnect.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #647 of 1,179
OK, thanks, that was actually helpful. :)

To clear that up, I assumed marketing BS because I found similar measurements for another phone hyped as being "for audiophiles" - the Vivo X5 Max - and because I'm the kind who trusts measurements and numbers over subjective opinions no matter how many there are of the latter (even in a forum like this I can't know what percentage of the users actually know what they're talking about - it's still the Internet, or humanity if you will).

On one hand, that means they must've made the same mistake when assessing the Vivo and possibly also some of the hyped models from Meizu (MX4?), but on the other it also has to mean that support for the high-end DACs in these phones is still pretty flimsy, considering you have to jump through so many hoops just to get them activated. What remains strange about this is that I'm supposed to believe people who know how to make SNR and crosstalk measurements would make such a stupid mistake as to not make sure they've activated the right DAC... orrr... if the measurements are actually just quoted from the manufacturers' documentation, that these manufacturers are putting out awesome devices without publishing (and emphasizing!) their awesome specs.

Anyway, it looks like I do have to look more deeply into this. There are definitely strange things going on with the information being published by the manufacturers and GSM Arena alike.

My main rig consists of a Thorens TD145 with an AT 440mla cartridge, a Bifrost 4490, and a Sansui 9090 or Asgard 2 amp into HD650's, so I kinda know what a quality rig sounds like lol. The v10 blew me away with how good it sounds for a phone. Also, with the new firmware the Sabre dac works with everything...

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #650 of 1,179
My main rig consists of a Thorens TD145 with an AT 440mla cartridge, a Bifrost 4490, and a Sansui 9090 or Asgard 2 amp into HD650's, so I kinda know what a quality rig sounds like lol.

Please don't... "I own special gear, therefore I know the difference from normal gear."

Owning stuff means you have money to buy stuff and maybe the web surfing skills to find out the stuff exists in the first place. Specialized gear doesn't make you an audio expert by itself.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #651 of 1,179
  Please don't... "I own special gear, therefore I know the difference from normal gear."

Owning stuff means you have money to buy stuff and maybe the web surfing skills to find out the stuff exists in the first place. Specialized gear doesn't make you an audio expert by itself.

Not owning stuff makes you much less likely to know what that stuff sounds like.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #652 of 1,179
My main rig consists of a Thorens TD145 with an AT 440mla cartridge, a Bifrost 4490, and a Sansui 9090 or Asgard 2 amp into HD650's, so I kinda know what a quality rig sounds like lol. The v10 blew me away with how good it sounds for a phone. Also, with the new firmware the Sabre dac works with everything...

He has his points. Especially large systems setup. It takes much more time and experiences than portable devices to get where a person would want it to sound like. Ultimately, sound performance is just like wearing glasses that were corrected to your eyes sight. Once you can't hear the details and the sound you prefered and knew it existed....it automatically deemed by your brain and ears to be "sucked"

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #653 of 1,179
Not owning stuff makes you much less likely to know what that stuff sounds like.

He has his points. Especially large systems setup. It takes much more time and experiences than portable devices to get where a person would want it to sound like. Ultimately, sound performance is just like wearing glasses that were corrected to your eyes sight. Once you can't hear the details and the sound you prefered and knew it existed....it automatically deemed by your brain and ears to be "sucked"

Thanks guys, was just trying to add some validity to my claim, not trying to brag. I've been at this for over 30 years and I'm not easily impressed, the v10 impressed me. Even my wife, who doesn't really care, was like holy schiit! That's coming out of a phone?

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #654 of 1,179
I really hope LG releases the V10's replacement V11(or whatever it's called) in Canada.Hopefully we don't get screwed again.Rumours say it will be released in the second half of 2016.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #655 of 1,179
Thanks guys, was just trying to add some validity to my claim, not trying to brag. I've been at this for over 30 years and I'm not easily impressed, the v10 impressed me. Even my wife, who doesn't really care, was like holy schiit! That's coming out of a phone?

Don't sweat it. Easy to see you were just giving a point of reference for those who may be familiar with gear you mentioned.

I'm still getting used to head-fi and now ignore posts that I would've responded to in the past. When I see negative posts from users who just joined, I think: True connoisseurs don't reach for the freshest wine in their cellars.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #656 of 1,179
Don't sweat it. Easy to see you were just giving a point of reference for those who may be familiar with gear you mentioned.

I'm still getting used to head-fi and now ignore posts that I would've responded to in the past. When I see negative posts from users who just joined, I think: True connoisseurs don't reach for the freshest wine in their cellars.

Lol. You notice I didn't respond to the snotty comment...

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #657 of 1,179
  OK, thanks, that was actually helpful. :)

To clear that up, I assumed marketing BS because I found similar measurements for another phone hyped as being "for audiophiles" - the Vivo X5 Max - and because I'm the kind who trusts measurements and numbers over subjective opinions no matter how many there are of the latter (even in a forum like this I can't know what percentage of the users actually know what they're talking about - it's still the Internet, or humanity if you will).

On one hand, that means they must've made the same mistake when assessing the Vivo and possibly also some of the hyped models from Meizu (MX4?), but on the other it also has to mean that support for the high-end DACs in these phones is still pretty flimsy, considering you have to jump through so many hoops just to get them activated. What remains strange about this is that I'm supposed to believe people who know how to make SNR and crosstalk measurements would make such a stupid mistake as to not make sure they've activated the right DAC... orrr... if the measurements are actually just quoted from the manufacturers' documentation, that these manufacturers are putting out awesome devices without publishing (and emphasizing!) their awesome specs.

Anyway, it looks like I do have to look more deeply into this. There are definitely strange things going on with the information being published by the manufacturers and GSM Arena alike.

Apologies for being a little late to the game but here is some more information on the GSM Arena audio test methods directly from their site. URL provided:  http://www.gsmarena.com/gsmarena_lab_tests-review-751p4.php

"...We test all handsets we review on how they perform at the maximum volume level. We disable all available equalizer settings and sound enhancements that the handset music players may be equipped with. All this gives us the opportunity to create a controlled environment, which should produce accurate and comparable results throughout the tested phones and tablets..."  I am guessing based on this that they would disable the hifi DAC before testing as it would be considered a "sound enhancement".  

I did note that in their recent review of the LG G5 they did audio test with and without the B&O audio module.  Hope this provides more perspective on this topic

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #660 of 1,179
Will be testing the V10 tomorrow. Maybe put some Plenue 1 in comparison 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back