LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #572 of 1,179
Has anyone figured out if you can use the phone as an "external DAC", use the ESS DAC but in a "line-out" mode for connection to a stereo via analog cable to their stereo line inputs? I tried using it normally, and the DAC showed as enabled, but the quality was not as impressive as I had hoped (in comparison to my Marantz UD5007 when playing a standard red book CD via it's analog output to the same input on my stereo).

thanks!

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #573 of 1,179

UPDATE: If your headphones have a removable cable you can also get AUX power mode by plugging the cable into the V10 first then connecting the headphones last.

Here are some partial solutions (without using an impedance adapter) if you need more power from the V10's amp. They should help until we (hopefully) get a manual gain option for the V10.

I used this adapter but a 3.5mm extension cable also works:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE5NJ7W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

First, plug the extender (with nothing connected on the other end) into the V10. The DAC should turn on (if not switch it on) and the amp will go into AUX mode:

Then plug your headphones into the extender and the V10 will stay in AUX mode.

AUX mode's power output is very similar to high mode and can make a big difference with lower impedance headphones (that can handle more power) like the Oppo PM-3.

High impedance mode swap
If you plug headphones into the extender first then connect it to the phone, the V10 detects the headphones as designed. I did this with my Fostex mk3 to get high impedance mode but when changing headphones at the extender end (leaving the extender plugged into the phone) the dac stays on and on high power. This allows me to use any headphone on high with the V10. Even if you turn the dac off with the extender plugged in, it will remain on high power when switched back on. Removing the extension resets the V10's auto impedance detection so this method may not be ideal for travel but works fine for home use.

NOTE: high impedance mode is NOT compatible with cables that have in-line mics and remote buttons. However, I was able to use remote/mic cables in AUX mode with several music apps.

I'm pretty sure I have UPDATE to this and if it isn't I am sorry if this was posted before.
But I have figured out how to get Normal, AUX and High Impedance mode (not the AUX, true High Impedance)
for my Westone's that have an impedance of 30ohms which only would give you Normal Power if plugged directly in or only get AUX power if you follow the quoted tutorial above. Which I did and I want to thank gr8soundz for doing as it led me to this.

As has been stated before if you want to be able to use the HIFI Dac with Poweramp or Neutron then download, install and run the HIFI Dac Fix.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix&hl=en

Then order yourself the Westone-Travel with the inline volume control included with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Travel-Loop-Adapter-Control/dp/B005FSEETU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455578787&sr=8-1&keywords=westone+travel+kit

It looks pretty much like this. And yes the one here may work I just did not test with this.
http://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs-35-4180-Headphone-Control/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1455579492&sr=8-10&keywords=volume+control

Now unlike what I quoted above, once you have the inline volume control go ahead and plug your headphones into the volume control first.
Now here's the fun part.
On the inline volume control if you adjust the volume BEFORE you plug it into your phone it will read it differently as follows:
1) Inline Volume turned to MAX = Registers on V10 as "Normal Impedance" Power
2) Inline Volume turned to MIN = Registers on V10 as "AUX" Power
3) Inline Volume turned somewhere in the MIDDLE = Registers on V10 as "High Impedance" Power. THIS is what most folks have been looking for and it does make a difference at least to me vs AUX.

Now once it is connected and registered with the V10 you can turn the INLINE Volume back to MAX and get the full benefit of the High Impedance Gain from the V10. And with the inline volume turned to MAX no loss of volume occurs at MAX setting. 

I actually laugh at what I figured out and that we have to do this. But hey it does work at least for me and it is consistent. 

Hope this makes sense and helps someone else searching for the best sound and highest output from there V10.

UPDATE: 
It's been almost 2 weeks now and I have been able to consistently get the results mentioned above. This includes extended play times of up to 8 hours while I was working.  Hope this helps those out there but as stated above it does allow you in a sense to choose your gain. Low (Normal), Mid (AUX), High (High) as stated above. Hope this helps!

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #575 of 1,179

I'm pretty sure I have UPDATE to this and if it isn't I am sorry if this was posted before.
But I have figured out how to get Normal, AUX and High Impedance mode (not the AUX, true High Impedance)
for my Westone's that have an impedance of 30ohms which only would give you Normal Power if plugged directly in or only get AUX power if you follow the quoted tutorial above. Which I did and I want to thank gr8soundz for doing as it led me to this.

As has been stated before if you want to be able to use the HIFI Dac with Poweramp or Neutron then download, install and run the HIFI Dac Fix.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix&hl=en

Then order yourself the Westone-Travel with the inline volume control included with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Travel-Loop-Adapter-Control/dp/B005FSEETU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455578787&sr=8-1&keywords=westone+travel+kit

It looks pretty much like this. And yes the one here may work I just did not test with this.
http://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs-35-4180-Headphone-Control/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1455579492&sr=8-10&keywords=volume+control

Now unlike what I quoted above, once you have the inline volume control go ahead and plug your headphones into the volume control first.
Now here's the fun part.
On the inline volume control if you adjust the volume BEFORE you plug it into your phone it will read it differently as follows:
1) Inline Volume turned to MAX = Registers on V10 as "Normal Impedance" Power
2) Inline Volume turned to MIN = Registers on V10 as "AUX" Power
3) Inline Volume turned somewhere in the MIDDLE = Registers on V10 as "High Impedance" Power. THIS is what most folks have been looking for and it does make a difference at least to me vs AUX.

Now once it is connected and registered with the V10 you can turn the INLINE Volume back to MAX and get the full benefit of the High Impedance Gain from the V10. And with the inline volume turned to MAX no loss of volume occurs at MAX setting. 

I actually laugh at what I figured out and that we have to do this. But hey it does work at least for me and it is consistent. 

Hope this makes sense and helps someone else searching for the best sound and highest output from there V10.

is it consistent? or is it more of a hit or miss kind of fix? 

Ymmv, but I have tried this now with 3 different sets of IEM's Westone 3, 4R and Beats 2(Daughter's) over the last couple of days and all have worked. Once again, YMMV but I plugged and unplugged and listened around 40 times (including turning phone off an on a few times) with the westone 3's, 20 times with the 4R's and around 8-10 times with the Beats 2 and was able to reproduce the different effects every time.
I will try to report back in a week or so as, yes, you never know, things could flake out over time. Will also try and do an extended playing session but have already played once for 3 hours straight without issue at High Impedance. I'm hoping that it keeps working until they fix this with a software update at least. 

Theory: At MIN volume it is the same as the original fix since it treated the same as nothing being plugged in but the extension cord by the V10. At MAX volume there is no addition resistance(Ohms) so if your headphones registered as "Normal" they still will. The in between volume settings add more resistance to get it over the 50Ohm threshold and gives you the High Impedance with the V10. As I stated above you have to unplug from the phone and change the inline volume setting then plug back in to see the changes. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #577 of 1,179
Have you installed and leave running in the background the HIiFi DAC Fix? Look back and you can find the links for this no matter what you should do this.

I am able to use Poweramp and Neutron with it. I have always been a poweramp user. But have to say Neutron is growing on me with its sound and Eq capabilities as I go between my Westone's and PortaPro which as others have said the PortoPro's really sound great with the V10.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #581 of 1,179
  So is there any way at all to give hardware volume buttons access to all 75 steps of the hi-fi mode volume control?

I asked about this on another forum. Apparently it's not possible, because of the way Lollipop changed the Android framework files. It's the same reason that you can't increase the number of volume steps post KitKat. If you do come across a solution, I would be interested.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #582 of 1,179

I asked about this on another forum. Apparently it's not possible, because of the way Lollipop changed the Android framework files. It's the same reason that you can't increase the number of volume steps post KitKat. If you do come across a solution, I would be interested.

Thanks for the reply malifact!
What I've learned over years of Android ownership, Google really is not a friend. :wink:

That'll liberate me from putting up with the V10's cost and heft. 
I can go back to waiting for the G4 to hit a rock bottom price point, or get a dedicated player. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #583 of 1,179
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread. I purchased a set of SoundMagic e80s the other day and they weren't working correctly with my V10.  The Hi-Fi DAC icon would come on, but I could tell the amp wasn't kicking in.  I started to think that at 64 Ohms, maybe the phone just wasn't able to drive them properly.  Then I happened to plug in an old Belkin headphone splitter I had and plugged the earphones into that and voila! the earphones came alive.  Now with the DAC activated, and of course the right set of eartips, the result is just terrific and I'm like a kid in a candy store. While I'm sure the e80s aren't in the same league as the Westone units you have, they are exceptional value for the money.  I just purchased the Stellar Labs volume control you referenced above which will hopefully give me a consistent experience of activating the correct sound.  Thank you for documenting your findings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back