LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Jan 24, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #541 of 1,179
  Hopefully it has the SD slot like many have speculated - otherwise it will matter zero what it can do.

i have to ask, what does that matter?
i'm a bit naive on techno stuff related to smartphones (my current one is the lg nexus 5...only 15 gb lol)
and will be looking to upgrade this yr after 2 yrs with current phone.

i've read that the slot can allow for memory expansion, right?
(esp good if you need more memory for additional music files etc to be downloaded onto it)

but i've also read that adding such can cause disruptions/virus (?) into the system too
and so is just best to get a phone with a larger internal memory capacity in the first place.

so please clue me in...thanks.
redface.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #542 of 1,179
i'm a bit naive on techno stuff related to smartphones (my current one is the lg nexus 5...only 15 gb lol)

(esp good if you need more memory for additional music files etc to be downloaded onto it)

but i've also read that adding such can cause disruptions/virus (?) into the system too
and so is just best to get a phone with a larger internal memory capacity in the first place.

so please clue me in...thanks.
redface.gif

I think Samsung will add an SD, especially after LG has hit some success with the V10.  Even a 64gb phone internal storage is not adequate when you are talking about hi-res and flac files.  I know many stream Tidal or similar, but that kills battery life.  It is all about how you use your phone - I personally would never be able to use a phone for music without some type of external storage or very large internal memory.  

I am ready to see what Sammy does to counter.  The competition is good for all of us.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #543 of 1,179
ok got it.

and let's also hope that the sales for the samsung s7 kick wayyyy  up, so apple takes notice and also ups the ante of their sound quality, too.
maybe it'll truly start a movement towards better sounding smartphones if both the big guns (apple and samsung) do this.

can only imagine had apple stayed in the game and come out with an audiophile grade ipod touch,
it would have had the competition scrambling for cover.  heck even now many makers are trying to match their own products with the apple's user friendliness interface and added apps and features.
Quote:
  I think Samsung will add an SD, especially after LG has hit some success with the V10.  Even a 64gb phone internal storage is not adequate when you are talking about hi-res and flac files.  I know many stream Tidal or similar, but that kills battery life.  It is all about how you use your phone - I personally would never be able to use a phone for music without some type of external storage or very large internal memory.  

I am ready to see what Sammy does to counter.  The competition is good for all of us.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #544 of 1,179

so please clue me in...thanks.:xf_eek:

Not all phones have multiple storage options, and if they do MFR's charge far more for it than a compatible SD would cost. Yes Google were advocating against removable storage for years, but with Marshmallow they finally seen the light, that it is a feature people want, and streaming is not the answer to that.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #545 of 1,179
I hope to God Sammy goes back to expandable storage and removable battery... Of course with a better dac and great implementation. I've never been happy with the sound of Sammy unfortunately.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #546 of 1,179
According to this guy, they were able to trick the system to enable the DAC.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/themes-apps/dac-fix-hi-fi-dac-everywhere-t3274457

I haven't tested this out myself yet, wish you guys luck.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #548 of 1,179
Seems to be a lot of hype behind this phone, and even though I can understand why I didn't get blown away while testing this one. Sure its a really nice phone, one of the best but the battle of high-end phones is really more about nitpicking and personal preference than anything else these days. The overall quality of high-end phones have reach such high levels that you will have a really hard time telling them apart on performance alone. The speed of the SoC's (GPU+CPU) have reach such high levels that people can hardly tell the ones that rank number 1-3 apart from the ones that ranks 5-10. Same goes for other areas like camera quality, take DXOMark's list of the best cameras for instance. Things have come a long way this year and even the phones ranking as low as 10-12 on their list get some really great scores. It's all about nitpicking and personal preference at this point.

I for one never really consider anything other than Nexus devices, but that's purely because I hate the severe lack of software support all the various OEM's have on their Android phones. But that's my personal preference and even though LG is far from the worst when it comes to software support I do find the delay infurerating non the less. And I do hate that so few OEM's are respecting Google's Material Arts UX-design and incorporate something that is by far uglier in almost every possible way.

But then again, Nexus devices never feature top of the line camera modules, camera software or anything special in terms of DAC / amplifier.

To me the audio quality of the LG V10 isn't that impressive all things considered. Sure it's really good for a smartphone, especially a Android smartphone as all those phones who relay directly on Qualcomm isn't all that great. But this phone is not replacing my external-DAC and amplifier setup at home, not by a long shot. So then I have to ask, what is the point?
When using my Westone UM3X and Westone 4R which is what I use when I want great audio quality while "on-the-go" the LG V10 do not sound any better compared to phones like the Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge / S6 Edge+ or the iPhone 6 / 6S / 6  Plus / 6S Plus. And using my portable headphones (B&O BeoPlay H7) they sound exactly the same as the DAC and amplifier is ran within the headphones themselves.

I won't be logging my Sennheiser HD 650 and HD 700 around, and while being at home I would never use the LG V10 to drive them any way.

At least to me, this sounds like something some people would be bragging about but barley use in their ever day lives.

But that does not mean that the phone is overall great and surely is a tempting and very good phone for many users out there.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #550 of 1,179

Seems to be a lot of hype behind this phone, and even though I can understand why I didn't get blown away while testing this one. Sure its a really nice phone, one of the best but the battle of high-end phones is really more about nitpicking and personal preference than anything else these days. The overall quality of high-end phones have reach such high levels that you will have a really hard time telling them apart on performance alone. The speed of the SoC's (GPU+CPU) have reach such high levels that people can hardly tell the ones that rank number 1-3 apart from the ones that ranks 5-10. Same goes for other areas like camera quality, take DXOMark's list of the best cameras for instance. Things have come a long way this year and even the phones ranking as low as 10-12 on their list get some really great scores. It's all about nitpicking and personal preference at this point.

I for one never really consider anything other than Nexus devices, but that's purely because I hate the severe lack of software support all the various OEM's have on their Android phones. But that's my personal preference and even though LG is far from the worst when it comes to software support I do find the delay infurerating non the less. And I do hate that so few OEM's are respecting Google's Material Arts UX-design and incorporate something that is by far uglier in almost every possible way.

But then again, Nexus devices never feature top of the line camera modules, camera software or anything special in terms of DAC / amplifier.

To me the audio quality of the LG V10 isn't that impressive all things considered. Sure it's really good for a smartphone, especially a Android smartphone as all those phones who relay directly on Qualcomm isn't all that great. But this phone is not replacing my external-DAC and amplifier setup at home, not by a long shot. So then I have to ask, what is the point?
When using my Westone UM3X and Westone 4R which is what I use when I want great audio quality while "on-the-go" the LG V10 do not sound any better compared to phones like the Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge / S6 Edge+ or the iPhone 6 / 6S / 6  Plus / 6S Plus. And using my portable headphones (B&O BeoPlay H7) they sound exactly the same as the DAC and amplifier is ran within the headphones themselves.

I won't be logging my Sennheiser HD 650 and HD 700 around, and while being at home I would never use the LG V10 to drive them any way.

At least to me, this sounds like something some people would be bragging about but barley use in their ever day lives.

But that does not mean that the phone is overall great and surely is a tempting and very good phone for many users out there.

Sounds like you never got the V10 into high (or aux) power mode.

The UM3X is over 50 ohms but if your cable has an in-line mic/remote then you're still getting normal power from the internal amp instead of high. That makes ALL the difference as I suspect the ESS 9602 amp chip only operates in high (for legal reasons which I explained some time ago); very similar to how another smartphone with decent quality output would sound with an external amp.

Most newer phones with a Snapdragon (which has it's own built-in dac/amp) can play up to hi-res audio. But that amp has low power so, even with the V10's DAC turned on, the improvements will be subtle because the same amp is being used.

Fact is, before the V10, I (and many others here) have NEVER heard this kind of sound coming from a phone WITHOUT using an external amp. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #552 of 1,179
  I have found that if i Call my voicemail/or call in general and plug in my Phonak Audeo PFE IEM's, it will kick into high gain mode.  Normally when I plug them in it doesn't happen.  Might be worth checking out for some.  

Wow! I just tried this and it worked. Called my voicemail and, while it was going, plugged in my Denon D1001s (32 ohms) and the dac went to high impedance.

We've been waiting for a way to trick the amp into high. Guess the last step in maximizing the V10 was only a phone call away. 
smile_phones.gif

Not sure why this works but perhaps the V10 doesn't want to risk having the volume too low if a wired headset? is plugged in during a call. Either way, this is another good discovery for the V10. I'll PM the thread starter for the other V10 thread in case he wants to link your post to pg1 so others can easily find it.

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #553 of 1,179

Wow! I just tried this and it worked. Called my voicemail and, while it was going, plugged in my Denon D1001s (32 ohms) and the dac went to high impedance.

We've been waiting for a way to trick the amp into high. Guess the last step in maximizing the V10 was only a phone call away. 
smile_phones.gif

Not sure why this works but perhaps the V10 doesn't want to risk having the volume too low if a wired headset? is plugged in during a call. Either way, this is another good discovery for the V10. I'll PM the thread starter for the other V10 thread in case he wants to link your post to pg1 so others can easily find it.

Mine didn't work....tried it on 2 different headphones.

What model/carrier of the V10 are you on?
I'm wondering if this has to do with the model version?

I'm on T-Mobile US.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #554 of 1,179

Mine didn't work....tried it on 2 different headphones.

What model/carrier of the V10 are you on?
I'm wondering if this has to do with the model version?

I'm on T-Mobile US.

Can't get it to work on my V10 either. I'm using a T-Mobile V10 also, though I'm using it on AT&T, with a debloated stock-based ROM, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I don't think it would matter. I know the Verizon V10, and possible another version, have received an update that T-Mobile hasn't, which could be a factor 

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #555 of 1,179

Can't get it to work on my V10 either. I'm using a T-Mobile V10 also, though I'm using it on AT&T, with a debloated stock-based ROM, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I don't think it would matter. I know the Verizon V10, and possible another version, have received an update that T-Mobile hasn't, which could be a factor 

Try this and see if it makes any difference:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg/1950#post_12291293

Users who are viewing this thread

Back