KODA^2 - König's Ortho Dynamic Acrylic Headphones
Jan 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #151 of 203
I can't wait to hear these things!

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #152 of 203
Quote:
I thought I clearly heard the loss of low mids in listening.

In this case, would it not be most sensible if Tyll sends the pair back to lokesen (at loke's expense, so he can listen to see if they still sound normal to him), and loke sends another pair to Tyll for a re-test? This mailing back and forth may cost a bit, but is another round of tests on the same pair really going to contribute much?

At least sending in a second pair for the retest might be better – but that's just me.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #153 of 203
Just FYI in about 50% or more of Tyll's graphs we see a large dip around 5kHz that doesn't really exist in reality and is more an equipment/measurement issue, just saying. Here's a nice example http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZX1000.pdf

Always when I check Tyll's measurements if I see a suspicious looking dip around 5kHz I usually add like 10~15dB for a more realistic figure. :p I've tested for example the V-Moda LP2 which have like 25dB dip around 5kHz by his measurement and I can say that is inaccurate. :p If it was true I'd barely hear those frequencies while hearing the other ones nicely at a normal listening volume.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #155 of 203

Quote:
Very curious about these. Thinking about reserving a pair for myself. In which case, I'd be more than glad to provide any impressions vs. any of the headphones I've amassed.

I know a user from Head-fi is going to post a review of the KODA^2 soon - maybe this weekend. I think there will be a comparison with both a set of genuine Thunderpants and with the LCD-2. I for one is looking forward to reading this :) 

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #156 of 203

Quote:

In this case, would it not be most sensible if Tyll sends the pair back to lokesen (at loke's expense, so he can listen to see if they still sound normal to him), and loke sends another pair to Tyll for a re-test? This mailing back and forth may cost a bit, but is another round of tests on the same pair really going to contribute much?

At least sending in a second pair for the retest might be better – but that's just me.

I understand the logic in what you say - and I agree to that to some extend. But the variation from each pair of KODA^2 should be very little, due to the parts are cut with precise CNC equipment. The reason I expect the set Tyll was testing to be fine, is that the chance that there should be the same fault in both cups, with both drivers at the same time, showing the very same way on a frequency response test, is very unlikely. The cups are also constructed in such a high quality that they would be very hard to brake, and even the dampening material is fastened with industrial silicone. So would be very surprised if they would - or even could, brake somehow. :D

The second reason that I think it would be fine to retest the set, is that I could replicate Tyll's result in a matter of 5 minutes, even without trying to - by making a little loose seal. Applying just a tiny bit of pressure to secure a seal, almost removed the dip at 200 hz completely. This result was the exact same on both left and right channel.

This is why I am very confident the test was performed with a seal that wasn't quite good enough - and why I am confident that Tyll could replicate my reading too. And I applaud him for suggesting this - this shows that his methods and approach to this is very scientific. 
Should his readings confirm the first readings and not be able to replicate mine  - I will accept that and trust that.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #157 of 203
A laser cut DIY headphone is a rarity (only to be found it the depths of something like head-fi) I would pay the full price for (given that I hadn't already spent too much money on audio right now). Its like a concept pushed to an extreme (I modded my T50RP for Christmas, I used scissors for cutting my Paxmate, I also shaped plasticine with my hands but never it was question of building my own cups and baffles)...

Even the wizard crafter Smeggy isn't laser etching acrylic for his cups. He's is sculpting them from all sorts of woods. And with that being said, both inventor's headphone is a promise for very exotic sound emanation as they all feature an amazing "orthodynamic organ" that is highly sensitive and reactive to the physiology of its body. With that being said I don't believe in the ultimate solution for a DIY T50RP, I would call it a separate ideology, school, u'know... those clearly aren't T50RPs anymore, haha.

My main point is that both these cans have very little in common, other than they are beasts that have pushed the DIYing (that can be seen on head-fi) to its limits. By looking at the way Smeggy and Lokesen have attached the iconic and very resilient Fostex headband (I wouldn't say the same of the Fostex pads) and the overall look of the headphone, I'd say the Thunderpants will be the warm and musical, mid centric winner, and the Koda^2 (or ^3 hehe) the detailed, overpowered, trebble and bass extended winner. Judging for myself, it would be the Koda^2, even though I secretly crave for both headphones (as well as for many others, lol.. stupidly expensive hobby).

But I'm only speculating as I have never laid an ear on any of these phones. But I'm enthusiastic one day I will :D; nothing money can't buy, no matter how old that thing you want to buy is.

Someone here said that Koda blew the Thunderpants out of the water, unamped. I see this has the first match Rocky vs. Ivan Drago. But I don't want to give a bad image to the Koda either.

Lastly I wouldn't expect the TP or the Koda to sound like any reference or neutral, stereotypical shape of cloud thing, (what's the true reference anyway? a HD800?) of a an existing headphone... and risking of being deceived.

Hehe, my biggest post yet (on this forum).

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #158 of 203
True reference you ask? hehe, enter "Paradox" by LFF :) (he needs to hear the Koda! )  Not to hyjack this thread but it is the most revealing and starkly clear headphone I have ever layed ears on. It's not as fun to listen to as the Thunderpants and i assume the Koda^x but it does reproduce what is recorded so dam good. 

just my 2c and I hope some day I can hear the Koda!  lokesen, keep up the great work! I know i'm rooting for you, but i think you already won :) 

-M

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #160 of 203

Quote:
Lokesen has kindly agreed to reserve one of the Koda^2s being built for me. I'll certainly try my best to contribute something meaningful to the growing body of impressions that will no doubt start emerging.

Muppet face, can I have your job and have all of your monies?

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #161 of 203

Quote:
Lokesen has kindly agreed to reserve one of the Koda^2s being built for me. I'll certainly try my best to contribute something meaningful to the growing body of impressions that will no doubt start emerging.

I'm finishing my final exams monday and finally getting my degree - I'm really looking forward to making your KODA^2's after monday. I'll do my absolute best :) 

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #162 of 203
KODA^2 MKII

After building a nice test-rig - I was able to confirm Tyll's readings. Of course. I decided to upgrade the KODA^2 design to get a little bit better frequency response, while preserving the sound signature and qualities of the original KODA^2. After altering the design and tuning the double bass port system (port in cup and on the back of driver dampening) I got these measurements:

Red/blue = left/right
Green = unaltered KODA^2

The 200 hz drop has been lowered from 15 to 8 db. That is a pretty significant result I think. I also tried dampening the cups with mineral wool, cotton and other fillings - but this has no effect on the 200 hz drop and made them sound much worse. 

The two KODA^2 MKII will be ready in two weeks - none of the for sale, but I will post measurements when I get them.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #163 of 203
Looking good! What changes did you end up making to the dampening felt on the back of the driver (if any)?

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #165 of 203

Quote:
Looking good! What changes did you end up making to the dampening felt on the back of the driver (if any)?

A smaller hole on the dampening on the back and smaller bass port. I could make it even smaller and thus make it very liniar - but it sound terrible them. Dull and boring - and that was not my intention :) There seems to be much more to it, than frequency reponse - I know this is a controversian statement to make :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back