JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #61 of 227
700s are fine without an amp. I am using onboard sound and a samsung portable but am getting a modded x-fi elite pro soon. I need to get a small amp. When I can, I will get a mini 3 which should be perfect.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #62 of 227
Can anyone who ordered from buy.com give a rough estimate of the size of the entire delivery package?

Really interested in trying these out. But as I'm not from the states, shipping will be a problem. May use a local courier service with a P.O. box as such would like to have a rough estimate of it's size in order to estimate shipping costs.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #63 of 227
Sure can.

14 1/2" W X 10 1/2 H X 14 1/2 L

The box is much larger than the headphone case itself.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #65 of 227
Hey, does anyone know what market these are intended for in the world? The japanese versions are branded HPRX and these aren't listed on the US, UK, and several other JVC sites I checked. On the other hand, they're sold in too many US internet retailers to not be US market. Just curious.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #66 of 227
Try victor hp-rx700 or 900

This, the 700, headphone has marvelous detail. The sound stage is a bit small atm but I am using lowly onboard sound atm. I will get a small amp and I already have a modded x-fi elite pro coming soon.

Very impressed so far though.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #68 of 227
Moontan, or anyone else who has them both, could you please post a pic of the rx700/rx900 and the D1001 side by side? I would like to get an idea of the sizes of these two sub-$100 favorites. Thank you!

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #69 of 227
Aren't both of those open cans though? Do you guys feel comfortable comparing open to closed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Roboto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, thanks for the review! If you don't mind, are there any other similarly priced headphones that you've used that you can compare these to? I'm particularly interested in how these fare against the much lauded PortaPro/KSC75 and PX100 .

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #70 of 227
Though the photos aren't the best, at least you can view the specs here. Product notes on pg 21, specs on the final page.

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...dioCatalog.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moontan, or anyone else who has them both, could you please post a pic of the rx700/rx900 and the D1001 side by side? I would like to get an idea of the sizes of these two sub-$100 favorites. Thank you!

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #71 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xyrium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though the photos aren't the best, at least you can view the specs here. Product notes on pg 21, specs on the final page.

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...dioCatalog.pdf

Thank you for that link; I'm also particularly seeing pics of it with the D1001 for a more real life size comparison. On a side note, anyone have any experience with JVC's other headphones? I know some have the rx900, but what about the s700 or others?

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #72 of 227
My RX900s hit today -- I was kinda looking forward to that; the "5-7 day" free shipping from buy.com usually hits me in three days.

Way too early to speak conclusively on sound quality, since they've only had about an hour of use. Stuff I can say safely:

They do get down to 30Hz on my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB thinger, but currently sound about 16 dB softer than an equivalent 40Hz note.

They don't have as much rumbling bass as RP-21.

Resolution is better than the RP-21.

Headstage throws things farther than RP-21, but at the moment it feels like it only goes horizontally and vertically, with little or no extension forward and backward.

They are comfortable initially, but what others have said is fully true: Man are these things going to get hot and stuffy.

Edit:
The all-important picture-of-self-in-bathroom model shot (please pardon my fuzzy hair):
psgharx900ix2.jpg

RP-21 for comparison: http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1...igarp21yd3.jpg

Edit II: (I wouldn't wear the RP-21 in public either.)

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #73 of 227
Got my RX700's recently. Comfy, hot, excellent sound for the money, decent bass, fair soundstage. I'd not want to wear them for a long time due to the sweaty heat factor (velour ear cushions would help). These won't replace my Grado 325i or AKG 271s, but they are a steal at their price.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #74 of 227
Hmmm. The bass rolloff would seem to be the same for the 900 as the 700. I guess I will find out what the difference is eventually.

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #75 of 227
The TBAAM is USB powered, so in some ways I'm impressed that it gets this far. It plays loud, and I've got both Speaker and Wav volume sliders at about 15%, but that may not provide the right load to take bass as far as it can go.

The 900 might perform better through better hardware, then. Or maybe the only difference is a few microns of paint, and the gullibility of folk like me. We'll find out pretty soon -- thanks for sating our collective curiosity, spliff.

Moving on: A few hours of listening time on mine so far. Going through the process of rediscovery that comes with all drastically different headphones than those you're used to, as some songs now sound awesome and some sound like crap. They're more detailed than I'm used to; I imagine that one would be hard pressed to get this detail out of a new off-the-shelf can for the price. Lots of new information coming at me from frets rattling and strings squeeking. Drums have more snap, despite not having the same meat as the RP-21.

I want 'em to feel like they've opened up. Maybe tens of hours of burn-in will do that, or an amp that properly loads rather than just playing loud. If I crank the volume a couple notches higher than I'm comfortable with, it starts coming through more clearly. Hm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back