JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!
Oct 8, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #16 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look very interesting. How comfortable are they? I'd be using them for several hours at a time so that's pretty important. Also, how are they at sound leak, both in and out? Thanks!

about as comfy as the audio technicas. not quite as thick on the cushions. if your earlobes are big they might hit the fabric covering the speakers. they do get hot after an hour or so
they isloate about as well as the technicas also- which is to say not that great. better than open type headphones, but not like studio types

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 227
I ordered a RX900 from Buy.com via Ebay. I got some Denon AH D1001s from them, opted for the free slow shipping, but got them in 4 days anyhow. Ought to be interesting to see how they compare in SQ.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good price on the RX900: $57.99 shipped.

Yeah, as long as I don't cross the $100 mark, it should be cool with SWMBO.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #20 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a RX900 from Buy.com via Ebay. I got some Denon AH D1001s from them, opted for the free slow shipping, but got them in 4 days anyhow. Ought to be interesting to see how they compare in SQ.

very cool- let us know how they sound. the specs are so close to the rx700. if they sound great i would step up to the rx900

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 227
So which one would you guys say is the better one; the HARX700 or the RX900? These seem great for the price and look like a great set to get me started on headphones! Look comfy enough for me, plus my room is pretty cold so I doubt that hot ears are going to be a problem.

Thanks, One2The3

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by One2The3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which one would you guys say is the better one; the HARX700 or the RX900? These seem great for the price and look like a great set to get me started on headphones! Look comfy enough for me, plus my room is pretty cold so I doubt that hot ears are going to be a problem.

Thanks, One2The3

The 900 should be the better one since it has the higher number. The only thing that concerns me with these inexpensive headphones is if the ear pads are not as deep as the Audio-Technicas.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #23 of 227
Quote:

The 900 should be the better one since it has the higher number. The only thing that concerns me with these inexpensive headphones is if the ear pads are not as deep as the Audio-Technicas.

200 more than the 700. Seriously though, at this price level, the little extra $$ for the top model is probably worth it.

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #24 of 227
Quote:

200 more than the 700. Seriously though, at this price level, the little extra $$ for the top model is probably worth it.

Right, I think most would want the higher level headphones. But this may not be the case for the frugal or a "poor man", and it may not be a good choice for anyone whose ears would rub uncomfortably inside the ear cups.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #25 of 227
Quote:

Right, I think most would want the higher level headphones. But this may not be the case for the frugal or a "poor man", and it may not be a good choice for anyone whose ears would rub uncomfortably inside the ear cups.

Right. I forget sometimes.
I got my RX900 today, and I'm extremely pleased with them. The cans are large enough to enclose my ears easily and they seal and isolate very well. In the sub-$100 category, they're well worth consideration.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #26 of 227
Quote:

Right. I forget sometimes.
I got my RX900 today, and I'm extremely pleased with them. The cans are large enough to enclose my ears easily and they seal and isolate very well. In the sub-$100 category, they're well worth consideration.

But are they bass-shy with a hole in the midrange right around middle C like an A900?

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #28 of 227
I ordered a pair of the 700s to try for gaming mostly. I do a thing on hardforums and the cheaper the better over there.

Since I have had just about every dynamic headphone and some stax, I should be able to report pretty definitively as to what they are closest to in terms of sound.

Ourfpshero has already stated that the 700s bass does not go as low as the AT but it hits harder at a higher bass note. So they are not bass shy like the AT version. There is some slam.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #29 of 227
I'm intriqued by the 700s. The price is too good to ignore. I have a pair on the way just for grins and giggles. Anyway, I was looking for a modest set of closed cans for work (for use in the library--in my office, I used open cans or speakers depending upon my mood and what I'm doing with the music).

Cheers!

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But are they bass-shy with a hole in the midrange right around middle C like an A900?

No holes that I could readily discern. I've been A/B'ing with the Denon 1001 which is only halfway done breaking in. I haven't had a chance to check out the A900 as nobody had a demo set when I went looking. I have to say I'm so happy I didn't go with the Grado SR80. Both these JVCs and the Denons are more comfortable by magnitudes, and I'm finding the SQ to be as good or better as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back