JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #2,371 of 3,271
Quote:

I thought they did a lot better than many other IEMs I've tried. What IEMs do you reckon given you an impression of soundstage, out of interest (if any)?

Found a nice combination just now: Audioquest Dragonfly powered via an Aurorasound USB BusPower Pro to the 200s. The effect rather reminds me of a rock/pop concert sound system (though it has been a while, so I could be talking out of my rear a bit here).

TF10's, Senn IE7's...even the X10 present a better soundstage than the 200's to me. To aggravate things, the 200's have a harsh overtone to some female voices I do not hear with the other IEMs so it's like a grating sound coming from right in the middle of your head! Fatiguing. Going back to my T1's puts the vocals back in front of you where they belong with no harshness.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2,372 of 3,271
Quote:
I love when the vocals are in your head; just like the S500s. It gives the sound a more intimate experience.

Me too, I'm a singer so when the vocals are in my head it feels like I'm the one singing
etysmile.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,373 of 3,271
Oh so i guess i should mention my 200s are okay, but my ZO is dead.

Just got my BH today so when i get my 200s back from work, ill give some impressions on the pairing. Just no more working with an amp.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,374 of 3,271
On the ATH-CKS77 thread you will find some posts by someone who bought a second pair of CKS77s from another Head-Fier and said that those sounded like his/her first pair before burn in.  After using the second pair for some time, that person posted again saying that those were now sounding just like his/her first pair of CKS77s.

If burn in is only a brain adjustment then that user has very strange brain that just chose to discriminate against the second pair in favor of the first one for some time and then chose not to discriminate anymore.  If any of you ask me to find those posts I will gladly make the effort and give you the links for you to read them for yourself.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,376 of 3,271
I tend to agree with this. I don't care for soundstage that much tbh.
I love depth, but width isn't as important. I like the vocals to be intimate, but I'm okay with everything else being more spaced out.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,377 of 3,271
Question for guys who have imported headphones before.  what do you do if the headphones are D.O.A?  If the headphones break within the warranty period, will the manufacturer honor the warranty from across the sea?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,378 of 3,271
I'm liking how the Z200's fit over the ear and stay comfortable for hours because they aren't as intrusive.  I find i can go up a tip size (to a large) and only have to place them in my ear until they seal. Unlike smaller iem's, like my last set of Denon's, where you have to pull up on your ear and jam them in to create a good seal with proper bass response.  Despite this shallow fit i was standing on a busy street corner yesterday, at moderate listening volumes, and couldn't hear a single thing besides my music.  They aren't earplugs but they isolate surprisingly well.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,379 of 3,271
Quote:
On the ATH-CKS77 thread you will find some posts by someone who bought a second pair of CKS77s from another Head-Fier and said that those sounded like his/her first pair before burn in.  After using the second pair for some time, that person posted again saying that those were now sounding just like his/her first pair of CKS77s.

If burn in is only a brain adjustment then that user has very strange brain that just chose to discriminate against the second pair in favor of the first one for some time and then chose not to discriminate anymore.  If any of you ask me to find those posts I will gladly make the effort and give you the links for you to read them for yourself.

That's in interesting anecdote. Like eke I am quite burn-in agnostic, especially since any before/after measurements of burn-in show very very little change, if any. The night and day difference claimed by some just hasn't been shown empirically anywhere at anytime. But only a few iems and headphones have actually been tested for burn-in, so the possibility that it is a real effect remains. I would bet a sizable sum though that the huge effects being claimed will never be found objectively. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,380 of 3,271
Quote:
TF10's, Senn IE7's...even the X10 present a better soundstage than the 200's to me. To aggravate things, the 200's have a harsh overtone to some female voices I do not hear with the other IEMs so it's like a grating sound coming from right in the middle of your head! Fatiguing. Going back to my T1's puts the vocals back in front of you where they belong with no harshness.

Quote:
I tend to agree with this. I don't care for soundstage that much tbh.

Quote:
I love depth, but width isn't as important. I like the vocals to be intimate, but I'm okay with everything else being more spaced out.

Soundstage is not guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.  
ksc75smile.gif
.  Not all recordings have soundstage, and even those that do can have it messed up by components that are not phase/time coherent.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,381 of 3,271
Quote:
Question for guys who have imported headphones before.  what do you do if the headphones are D.O.A?  If the headphones break within the warranty period, will the manufacturer honor the warranty from across the sea?

You would have to send them back to the place you bought them - if they fail within that vendor's return policy.  You would be responsible for shipping back ( but mark them as a return so the recipient does not have to pay taxes/duties).  They would then ship you replacements, e.g., to Tenso, who would then charge you to ship the replacements to you.

Warranty on these, if they cannot ship them outside of Japan, would not apply overseas.  Perhaps the direct importer sellers charge more because they honor the warranty - but i would check that very carefully before I bought on that basis.

Hope that makes sense.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,382 of 3,271
thanks, the deal with the warranty and possibility of DOA headphones (my fx3x i purchased were DOA) that I may not be able to return, are keeping me away from trying the cks1k and the fxz's
:frowning2:

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,383 of 3,271
Quote:

Soundstage is not guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.  
ksc75smile.gif
.  Not all recordings have soundstage, and even those that do can have it messed up by components that are not phase/time coherent.

But recordings that have a soundstage with other headphones do not with the 200's IMO.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,384 of 3,271
Quote:
thanks, the deal with the warranty and possibility of DOA headphones (my fx3x i purchased were DOA) that I may not be able to return, are keeping me away from trying the cks1k and the fxz's
:frowning2:

Warranty is warranty, no matter where you are.  For example, if someone from Japan buys a pair of headphones and takes them on a personal trip to the USA and the users finds out that they are defective while visiting the USA, what difference would it make if the defect had shown up while using it in Japan before the trip or after the trip?  No difference.  It is a buyer and seller agreement, regardless of geographical location.  The issue here is the shipping area covered by the supplier.  If the supplier only covers shipping within its operating country, then any shipping costs that are covered by the warranty (if any), will not include costs for shipping from (or to) a foreign location.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,385 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:

I thought they did a lot better than many other IEMs I've tried. What IEMs do you reckon given you an impression of soundstage, out of interest (if any)?

Found a nice combination just now: Audioquest Dragonfly powered via an Aurorasound USB BusPower Pro to the 200s. The effect rather reminds me of a rock/pop concert sound system (though it has been a while, so I could be talking out of my rear a bit here).

I used to own TF10s and I've tried the X10s in store. I recall both having somewhat of a V-shaped frequency response, which can give the impression of soundstage. Maybe my impressions are more related to a lack of blur between, say, the bass and other frequencies and instruments not sounding flat, especially percussion which I've found sounds awful with most IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back