Just which is the most expensive headphone amp??
Jan 6, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #46 of 95
This thread just goes to show that the ultra-highend headphone market is under developed... if there are people paying $15K on amps, and there are practically no headphones above $1k. Compared with speakers, where the most expensive amp is only about twice that of the most expensive speakers, there should be a market for headphones costing in the $7000~$8000 range...

Anyone interested?
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #47 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread just goes to show that the ultra-highend headphone market is under developed... if there are people paying $15K on amps, and there are practically no headphones above $1k. Compared with the speakers, where the most expensive amp is only about twice that of the most expensive speakers, there should be a market for headphones costing in the $7000~$8000 range...

Anyone interested?
cool.gif

Absurd.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #48 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And buying a $20,000 24K gold amp, if it sonically is no better than a $1K amp is a stupid decision whether you have the money or not.

You obviously haven't been following the gold market during the past couple of years. This could be a very wise investment. I'm not kidding.

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #49 of 95
Quote:

This thread just goes to show that the ultra-highend headphone market is under developed... if there are people paying $15K on amps, and there are practically no headphones above $1k. Compared with the speakers, where the most expensive amp is only about twice that of the most expensive speakers, there should be a market for headphones costing in the $7000~$8000 range...

Anyone interested?
cool.gif

The thing is, though, that if the ~$300 Sennheiser HD650s can scale incredibly well on such amplification, you don't necessarily need to go that high. $1k, 2k could do a lot if there were more players in the current production field (instead of just Grado, Stax, maybe Audio-technica).

IMHO no one can judge the validity of matching "cheap" headphones to expensive amps until they've heard it for themselves.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #50 of 95
I don't think you can have a set 'most expensive' amp, seeing as most manufacturers would probably be glad to custom make one out of silver, platinum, gold, and diamond if you offered them a several hundreds of thousands to a million or so.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #51 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is, though, that if the ~$300 Sennheiser HD650s can scale incredibly well on such amplification, you don't necessarily need to go that high. $1k, 2k could do a lot if there were more players in the current production field (instead of just Grado, Stax, maybe Audio-technica).

IMHO no one can judge the validity of matching "cheap" headphones to expensive amps until they've heard it for themselves.

Granted, the 650 scales up well with amplification but it doesn't mean that that's as good as it gets. Presumably a manufacturer could make a better headphone than the 650 on a $7000/unit budget. I'm sure there must be a market out there for level of budget, I mean, c'mon, there are power cords that cost way more than $7k and apparently there's a market for that. And it's not as if there's no room for improvement either, I'm not a headphone engineer but I'm guessing just by using a valhalla-level cable on the headphone should improve the sound (also dramatically increase cost), not to mention the various parts of the headphone that could use better parts and materials... carbon fiber for headband? Nah, carbon nanotubes.
580smile.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #52 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey a million bucks ain't what it used to be.

Mitch

I believe a million GPB is not expected to be about 2.6m GPB, or to be "a millionare" in the traditional sense, you now have to be worth about 2.6 million.

It gets more and more expensive to be rich :)

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #53 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well put. My ego thanks you for the repair work that you have just so masterfully done to it, and thankfully it was free of charge, thus freeing up much needed funds for any further self aggrandizing purchases I may seek next.

LOL! Great response Wayne.
wink.gif

It's all relative guys. I love digging out the audio bargains, but there is no doubt if my wallet would play along I'd have the best equipment money can buy. Not necessarily the most expensive, but they often do go hand in hand. Oh and I'm already very well endowed for those of you who will likely comment on the correlation of penis size and amp size, thank you very much!

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #54 of 95
Quote:

This thread just goes to show that the ultra-highend headphone market is under developed... if there are people paying $15K on amps, and there are practically no headphones above $1k. Compared with speakers, where the most expensive amp is only about twice that of the most expensive speakers, there should be a market for headphones costing in the $7000~$8000 range...

Anyone interested?
cool.gif

Seems like this one is gettting a lot of responses. My take on it is that, yes, of course, headphone companies could make more expensive headphones (even in the $7-8k range) in an aim to target the rare few who have $15k amps. But they don't need to!

The thing is, most people who have these expensive amps use multiple pairs of headphones, each of which (at least in their view which is the one that matters since it's their ears doing the listening and their wallet doing the speanding) improves dramatically with the luxury of having that one specific, custom tailored amp that best suits their musical tastes at their disposal.

Does that make sense? In other words, in my case, if I only had one amp and it was a $15k SDS-XLR (and although I do have one on order thankfully it didn't cost nearly that much), that would be roughly the same investment that I would have made in 20-odd pairs of headphones that I would use with it, each of which probably sounds better with the SDS-XLR than they do with any other dynamic headphone amp I've ever heard.

So this one amp, no matter how expensive it may be, can be worth it from that important perspective. It improves a whole pile of $200 to $1k headphones! It also improves $2k headphones (such as the Qualia 010 or L3000) and it improves the $4k R10.

Moreover, the improvements are often so dramatic with this kind of amp that you can sell off any and all of your other amps to recoup a portion of the cost. In other words, at this level, you can pretty much count on this one big monster of an amp to wipe the floor with any other amps you may have at your disposal.

It's no longer a matter of choosing among "flavors" of amps, thinking that Amp A does well with Headphone B, but Amp C does better with Headphone D. Nope. Your mega amp, when custom designed with the right combination of parts that best suit your musical tastes, really should (and usually does) render the other amps in your 'inventory' obsolete.

What's more, there is tremendous value (to some people at least) in knowng that they've arrived at an "end of the road" solution and they will no longer need to concern themselves with upgraditus. This is true of amps, headphones, sources, cables, power conditioning, and any other aspect of the overall sonic equation. Again, I'm sure that seems silly to most observers, but it's quite a meaningful sense of satisfaction/relief to others.

But having said all of that, I do think it's absurd to pay $15k for one dynamic headphone amp. Maybe $10k, but not $15k. That way you can spend the other $5k on a top of the line electrostatic headphone amp!
icon10.gif

Oh and the other thing... to sell headphones profitably you need to sell them in sufficient volume to achieve productive efficiency, and thus the late great K1000 are no longer being produced, not because people don't like them (they've won awards!) but because AKG couldn't sell enough of them to warrent any further investement in their continued production. On the other hand, for a boutique headphone amp maufacturer to be able to sell these mega headphone amps profitably, no matter how rare and exotic or one-off these ceations get, they need only to price them appropriately for each particular customer's specifications.

In other words, for the headphone amp builder it's a true "job order" costing system where each and every amp can add to the company's profitability if priced right, and the decisons to build or not to build can be made on a case by case basis. If the customer is willing to make it worth your while, then you agree to built him the dream amp he's described. Whereas with headphone manufacturers, it's a "process" costing system where there is a strong reliance of economies of scale, achieving productive efficiency, and ensuring that the company's marketing efforts lead to a sufficient annual sales volume for the individual products to continue to "make sense" in the overall product mix. If a $1k headphone that is as loved as the K1000 doesn't make sense to AKG from this persepective, it's highly unlikley that we'll see a bunch of $7-8k headphones hitting the marketplace any day soon.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #55 of 95
Great analogy Wayne; however, there is no end in sight... What's new today is old news tomorrow... There will always be something bigger and better and so the story goes, by the way it's without limitation, infinite.

We are afflicted.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #56 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great analogy Wayne; however, there is no end in sight... What's new today is old news tomorrow... There will always be something bigger and better and so the story goes, by the way it's without limitation, infinite.

We are afflicted.

To a point. Once you get past buying something just because you're brainwashed to be a good consumer, you'll find that your gear has better staying power than you thought. Although I have revamped a large part of my system in the last year I still love my 10 y.o. speakers and have no need or desire to change them anytime soon. Buy smart and buy the best you can afford, and you can rest easy for quite a while.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #57 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if someone is buying a headphone only amp at $15k then its mostly for "ego" or "I got to have the biggest case" thing...

of course anyone who wants to defunk my statement then post a pic whats inside the table sized amp and we shall see if the size was really used/needed..

I am not saying there is anything wrong with needing/wanting something like that..I guess we all have to make up for size at times..lol

Every inch of the power supply on the SDS-XLR is packed tight. This is in the oversized Meastro case. The amp section is not as full.. but still uses the space up, its just not crammed in there. It took the cases to add the increased power supply. When purchased it was not known how big the amp would be until production of the prototype started. I got it because to my ears the Singlepower amps are by far the best headphone amps made. Sonicly, aesthetics wise, and customer service. I wanted the best possible headphone listening experience I could get. I have the money. Thats why I bought the SDS-XLR. I cant speak for others why they bought theirs.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #58 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest difference between an expensive headphone amp and items that boost your ego- clothes, watches or expensive car is: No one sees the headphone amp and those that do don’t know what it is so what ego boost? Face it if I showed someone my PS-1’s they’d think my grandfather owned them in WW2. As for expensive cables- no one can see them and no one knows unless I tell them.

So no it’s not ego- it’s personal satisfaction. There’s something personally satisfying owning and using a finely made piece of equipment whether it is a handgun, stereo component, knife, frying pan or what ever. I personally marvel at fine engineering, quality components and thoughtful execution. There’s something-wonderful about tube audio- it’s functional art. It’s as beautiful to look at as it is enjoyable to listen to.

Take any hobby or past time and take it to the limit. You’ll find the “$15,000 headphone amp” there. Whether it is cooking, biking, skiing, playing pool or photography.

Heck go look at bathroom fixtures at home depot if you want to see excess.

Mitch

You put this perfectly! The one thing you missed. Even when told what the toys are....they still dont care.

Jan 6, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #59 of 95
This thread was opening initially to show us, which the most expensive amps, or some of them are, not sure why it derailed into this flame war about the ego. If some members feel that you buy an amp/amps just to satisfy your ego, so be it....so what, and period....I do not care a single bit what others think about my ego, so why bother in trying to prove them wrong or right, being so argumentative???

Expensive items have existed always, and they always have a limited market, not sure why is so important now to demostrate the need of them, or why you decided to purchase (with your hard earned money) a particular item, I thought that this question had already an answer since about 2000 years ago...

Why not going back to the original poster, and try to find more and more expensive amps, this will be funny to know....anything else, the rest is just plain silly....

And for the ones still interested in keep on discussing about ego, why not opening another thread just to discuss about ego, and leave this thread alone for the ones interested in knowing about the expensive amps???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #60 of 95
wait. it took two pages to sink in. Santa's getting another premier amp? You're a beast!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back