Just which is the most expensive headphone amp??
Oct 17, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #76 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
graphCompare.php

The AKG K601 and Sennheiser Orpheus system are pretty much identical (Despite the ~$14000 difference in price). The K601, Orpheus, ER-4P, and DT880 all sound pretty much the same, with the only noticeable variation occurring in the upper treble.

Keep telling yourself this and maybe someday it will come true.......NOT!

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #78 of 95
I believe that the most expensive amp is the Western Digital 27a (look up 100,000 dollar amps on google, there should be a video of 100 k amps) although i do not know if these are compatible with headphones or not, but its REALLY expensive. As for the arguments above, That depends on your source equipment, and the qualities in sound you are observing, the ER4P, being a "closed" phone, has sonic resonance that messes with clarity, and colors the sound, also, it has a "closed soundstage". Other differences include slight, but present, differences in sonic response, as well as differing levels of clarity/graniness.

As for another argument I saw earlier,  no, expensive audio equipment isnt for an ego boost, because almost universally, you get ridiculed for spending so much on it. Expensive audio gear is for those who believe they can hear the difference in sound quality, and really care about that difference.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #80 of 95
I've bumped 6 year old threads after googling something, I really see no reason not to

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #81 of 95

Quote:
That depends on your source equipment, and the qualities in sound you are observing, the ER4P, being a "closed" phone, has sonic resonance that messes with clarity, and colors the sound, also, it has a "closed soundstage". Other differences include slight, but present, differences in sonic response, as well as differing levels of clarity/graniness.

I'm curious if you have heard the ER4p or s. They dont sound like what you describe to me. At all.

They are high in the running for the clearest headphones ever (based on my own perception of detail from way down low to the tippity top) and have very nice soundstage on the right recordings. 

Regarding graininess:
I find it comes from amps/sources more than headphones. Its typically a sign of a component exiting class-A operation, or oscillation. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #82 of 95
Speaking in relative terms here, the ER4 series is regarded as being exceptionally clear and uncolored, but that doesnt mean they will be on the level of an uber high end set, maybe not the orpheus, but perhaps the stax flagships. Yes, to a large degree the difference is negligible, but for ultra demanding audiophiles, there WILL be vibrations inside the chamber, some can claim to hear them, most should not be able to, but for the summit fi people, its important.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #84 of 95
Have you heard the Orpheus?
Which high end STAX? "high end STAX" describes 3 or 4 headphones or everything stax has ever made if you drank the cool-aid.
ER4p/s? 

Speaking in relative terms here: if you have not heard them you should not attempt to compare them. No that was pretty straight to the point.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #85 of 95

Quote:

I've noted that in-ear phones tend to have measureably high distortion.

I'm curious if that is an artifact of the measurement system. Perhaps some funky resonances that are not triggered when the ear on the dummy head is left open as in full sized headphones.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #87 of 95
nikongood, im not comparing models, im comparing technologies, the best possible open backed configuration, in the best possible setting, will outperform the best possible closed BA IEM in its own best possible setting as far as sonic accuracy, excluding sound stage and sonic response, is concerned. For practical purposes there may very well be no difference, but for the most anal retentive, accuracy crazy audiophile, the way the sound waves behave within the housing makes a significant difference. Whereas with open backed cans, where there is practically no space (relative tot eh size of the sound wave) for the sound to bounce around, in an IEM, you end up with chambers which may or may not get necked down at any point in time, once it is necked down, the sound wave is refracted from its most pure and original form. Also, there is a dilemma regarding the "thing that moves the air" (my understanding of BA technology may be wrong, but, I believe there is an armature in a close box, on top of the box there is a "foil" which actually moves the air) if this "foil" is smaller than the size of the "chamber" refraction occurs. If this "foil" isnt sealed around the edges, it adds a second compression on its way "down" (returning to the state it is in when no power is applied). With open backed cans, this compression is "cast outwards" and leaves the potential for a rarefaction, which adds some accuracy. With open backed cans, there are very fewer, much less pronounced instances of refraction occuring to the sound wave, save for while entering the ear, which actually adds accuracy to the sound as our brains have become accustomed to having sound waves refracted in this manner. 

Of course, none of this means that the ER4 series isnt accurate, just that the design has the potential to deform the waves a bit, which might change frequencies by a quarter of a Hz, or bring your clarity down by an eighth the smallest deviation which can be heard. The standards im discussing here may very well be insane beyond insane, but thats pretty much the basis for this hobby. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #90 of 95
The most expensive headphone amp is the one you like the least.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back