Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #7,006 of 11,345
FWIW, I'm not sure it's a great idea to do angled pads/driver with such a long narrow pad.  It's going to be firing into the side of the pad pointing behind your ear, not towards your ear from in front of you, which is the point of angled pads/drivers.  The pads are too narrow and long to allow your ears to sit behind the drivers.  (and this is why they sound the way they do)

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #7,007 of 11,345
Finally put some aluminum on the baffles filled with clay, increased detail and clarity by small margin, almost unnoticeable. But I still have the infamous 7000Hz peak.

EDIT: Forgot what I said early about increasing detail by a small margin, they're starting to sound analytic

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #7,009 of 11,345

Quote:
FWIW, I'm not sure it's a great idea to do angled pads/driver with such a long narrow pad.  It's going to be firing into the side of the pad pointing behind your ear, not towards your ear from in front of you, which is the point of angled pads/drivers.  The pads are too narrow and long to allow your ears to sit behind the drivers.  (and this is why they sound the way they do)

I haven't printed a set yet, so I'm not sure, however I think your overestimating the effects.  You also don't really know how the design is shaped so, its kind of hard to make a conclusion based on no design.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #7,011 of 11,345

Quote:
Foil, they sound so much more detailed and they amplified the mids. Wow they sound so good! It's easy and reversible, just put aluminum foil on the baffle attached to the clay or plasticine.

EDIT: One more thing, the detail will need getting used to.

On my earlier sets, I did the foil mod.  I actually ended up using some of the real heavy foil that's part of Dynamat.  I was able to remove the black butyl rubber from the aluminum -- and, then with a scissors, cut the heavier aluminum to size.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #7,012 of 11,345
This may be a bit of a stretch, but is there anyone located in SoCal who has O2 pads they'd be able/willing to let me audition? $130 is just too much to spend without hearing something first.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #7,016 of 11,345

Quote:
Sounds like aluminum duct tape might be worth a try

I'm not sure what effect might be created with the sound waves bouncing off the glue that is adhered on the back of the tape.  If you reverse the direction it faces, so that the smooth aluminium side faces the back of the driver, the results might be different, or better.  Then again, this all comes back to the purpose of the "reflex dot" - which was essentially a furniture bumper adhered to the back center of the driver.  This was also used to increase the upper frequencies a bit and the bumper had adhesive on the back of it.  Hmmm ... now, I've confused myself.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7,018 of 11,345
this thread baffles me....

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #7,020 of 11,345

Quote:
Only part of the back of the driver where the white filter paper exists (with the 9 square areas).  Doing so, will increase the upper frequencies that you hear a bit. 

Generally speaking, reflective materials like aluminum are the last thing you should put anywhere near a T50rp.  I don't think even putting aluminum on the headband is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back