Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #6,976 of 11,345

Quote:
How do we calm the 7000 Hz peak? Already used cotton, doesn't seem to help a lot, but overall sound is improved drastically.

It is impossible to answer this without knowing your exact mods, and if they aren't mods others have used, it's probably near impossible.  
blink.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #6,977 of 11,345

Quote:
My first cable used Mogami 2534 quad, (24AWG), and it is too large to fit into the Neutrik RA 1/8" plug. Just had some around, ordered the Neutrik, realized my mistake, but was able to make it work. Pars used the mini quad, I assume the 2799, (26AWG), which has a smaller OD, and fits the Neutrik much better.

Actually, I looked and it is the Mogami W2893 that I am using.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6,978 of 11,345
2534 fits in the Neutrik RA just fine as long as you do away with the outer jacket and spiral shield.  You can even throw in nylon multifilament braid along with those 24awg wires.

Quote:
How do we calm the 7000 Hz peak? Already used cotton, doesn't seem to help a lot, but overall sound is improved drastically.

Furniture bumper on the center of the back of the driver.
If you've already done that, then I don't know, lol.

Quote:
Did you use dynamat or equivalent under the paxmate when you had it installed? I'm wondering if it is really required since I'm betting it adds a significant amount of weight and seems like a slightly tedious endeavor to install. No one has mentioned using it in quite a few pages so I didn't know if everyone agreed it was a good material or if I missed where someone said it's better to just leave it out.

Page 462

Do the SRH840 earpads rest against the baffle or they float in the air?

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #6,979 of 11,345

Quote:
2534 fits in the Neutrik RA just fine as long as you do away with the outer jacket and spiral shield.  You can even throw in nylon multifilament braid along with those 24awg wires.

Said that already, not your detail, been there, the Switchcraft plug I mentioned actually works. Did you read my previous posts? I can offer my detail if needed. Please read my latest post. "just fine", use the Switchcraft. PITA/Neutrik/2534.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #6,980 of 11,345

Quote:

What?  He said he had a peak at a 7kHz not a trough.  A furniture bumper would increase treble even more.  

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #6,981 of 11,345
Got an idea on these peaks after hearing clear improvements from putting biplast foam on earpad inner surfaces and center driver square.

I suppose the peaks are caused by reflections between headphone's earside surface and pinna. So we have to absorb them. Obviously we have no control on pinna, but Fostex's driver with its little open area allows us to cover it. Cut out cubes or thin stripes of absorbing foam and cover everything other than the actual openings in the driver. It would be better if one would remove the driver from baffle and stick the foam right on metal plates, bit I suppose placing the foam above dust cover would also work. And perhaps combining that would be even better.

Haven't yet tested that as cutting many small cubes/stripes would take some time, but will give it a try at weekends.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #6,982 of 11,345

Quote:
What?  He said he had a peak at a 7kHz not a trough.  A furniture bumper would increase treble even more.  

That modification eliminated 7kHz and 9kHz peaks in my headphone.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #6,983 of 11,345

Quote:

That modification eliminated 7kHz and 9kHz peaks in my headphone.

Did you confirm that with measurements?  I don't have disbelief, because 7-9kHz is very high treble, but it doesn't doesn't seem quite right.  A furniture bumper will do more than just kill the 7-9kHz peak if it does.  It will add other frequencies in the 3-5kHz range which may not be desirable.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #6,984 of 11,345
According to my ears, there may be another peak at 3000. Anyone also notice this, I put a plastic bumper on the white felt, increased treble and didn't help with the peaks. I somewhat agree with Nevod, nothing I've tried so far has eliminated the peaks.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6,985 of 11,345
Just out of curiosity, how many people in this thread would be willing to purchase either a straight or 15 degree angled custom baffle that allows the T50RP to easily fit an FA-003 pad?

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #6,986 of 11,345
Has anyone tried the sock mod for the Shure 840 pads, it improves sound stage by an insane amount, but they'll have to be the last mods you do, since you need to tape the 840 pads into place or they'll fall off when modding.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6,987 of 11,345

Quote:

Did you confirm that with measurements?  I don't have disbelief, because 7-9kHz is very high treble, but it doesn't doesn't seem quite right.  A furniture bumper will do more than just kill the 7-9kHz peak if it does.  It will add other frequencies in the 3-5kHz range which may not be desirable.

Nah, just my ears and sine sweeps.  The 7k and 9kHz peaks were pretty strong, now gone to my ears.  Perhaps they were just greatly reduced and are still there but inaudibly louder than the rest of the frequencies, nevertheless they no longer bother me.  No 5kHz peaks, that would bother me as one of my middle ear resonances lands at about 5k.  The entire ~2k-5k range is elevated a bit, but no sharp peaks to my ears.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #6,988 of 11,345

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many people in this thread would be willing to purchase either a straight or 15 degree angled custom baffle that allows the T50RP to easily fit an FA-003 pad?

Depending on cost, I may be interested in an angled baffle.

and it was you who was wondering about that Carla Lother album on HDTracks, right?  I've had it for a bit now, and though I haven't listened to it a ton since her particular style isn't much to my liking, the recording is well done and can definitely expose some flaws if your headphone/setup has them.  I liked it best with my fostex tuned to have just a little extra bass (but nice linear extended bass---no midbass humps allowed!).

It's really a shame I don't like her style, because the clarity on that album is definitely a step up in clarity and instrument separation compared to a lot of what I have.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #6,989 of 11,345

Quote:
Depending on cost, I may be interested in an angled baffle.

and it was you who was wondering about that Carla Lother album on HDTracks, right?  I've had it for a bit now, and though I haven't listened to it a ton since her particular style isn't much to my liking, the recording is well done and can definitely expose some flaws if your headphone/setup has them.  I liked it best with my fostex tuned to have just a little extra bass (but nice linear extended bass---no midbass humps allowed!).

It's really a shame I don't like her style, because the clarity on that album is definitely a step up in clarity and instrument separation compared to a lot of what I have.

Price would be roughly $30, maybe less for a pair of baffles, I'd have to check for the angled baffles as it may be a bit more.  3D printing gets kind of expensive.  I will get a real solid cost down sometime soon but I still need to get the first batch printed and tested to see if tweaks need to be made.

The more I have made, the more cost goes down.  Therefore, a big group buy all at once is ideal.

Also I just recently bought the Carla Lother album.  I think its amazing.  With a good set of modified T50RP's I get so much texture in the lower end and the high's are to die for.  Thanks for taking the dive for me though, I really appreciate your insight.  I agree that the recording quality is very well done.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,990 of 11,345

Quote:

Brilliant!  Thanks for doing this.

Sign me up for 3 sets of FA-003 adapters. Same if you do Shure 840's; I'm tired of dealing with stretched out flaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back