Just bought a PS2 and here's why
Nov 30, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely not. Music, art, poetry, books, and film can all teach us something about humanity and the broad range of human emotions and experiences.

Video games and sports are sheerly about mindless entertainment. (I am guilty of engaging ALOT of my time in both.)

This is quite a can of worms, but in my opinion video games (good ones) and sports are definitely not about mindless entertainment.

Well-constructed video games teach you how to recognize patterns, solve puzzles, devise strategy, navigate and memorize layouts (cities, dungeons, etc.), master timing and hand-eye coordination, improve reflexes, and probably other stuff that I haven't thought of without the player even realizing it.

Sports--when well-coached and facilitated--get you into shape (at least, the more physical ones do), teach teamwork, and give you a sense of accomplishment, and also do some of the things listed above like improving timing, coordination, reflexes.

EDIT: I'm sorry that my post is so unrelated to the original topic, but I should probably add a few games that I believe fit the above description: the Grand Theft Auto series (layout memorization), Zelda OoT (memorization, puzzle solving, pattern recognizing [for boss battles], and timing), Super Smash Brothers (between players of similar button-skill, the winner will often be the one that "figures out" its opponent's strategy/pattern first), Counter-Strike (teamwork, reflexes, patterns--Half Life also has plenty of puzzles, for that matter), the Hitman series (strategy, timing), all real-time strategy games like Starcraft (which require complex strategies), turn-based games like Fire Emblem and Civilization (I think) (again, more strategy) . . .

Some video games are very mindless, though.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Well-constructed video games teach you how to recognize patterns, solve puzzles, devise strategy, navigate and memorize layouts (cities, dungeons, etc.), master timing and hand-eye coordination, improve reflexes, and probably other stuff that I haven't thought of

Stuff such as
Quote:

something about humanity and the broad range of human emotions and experiences.

?

Nov 30, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and all forms of art are also ultimately worthless.

good god man, what kind of souless robot are you?

nothing is more worthless than a world without art and beauty and soul.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good god man, what kind of souless robot are you?

nothing is more worthless than a world without art and beauty and soul.

Uh... Coltrane said video games were worthless, so train said he'd agree, if you apply the same to books, music, etc. (meaning he thinks all those things: games, movies, sports, et al ARE capable of that same helpful/moving goodness)

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #36 of 54
Rez!
Such an awesome game!
Used to play it a lot on my Dreamcast
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by organicabstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll take that as a compliment haha. it's not even my sanwa stick actually, i still need to pay for it.

a very old DIY project. from start to finish, waiting for parts to arrive etc, it took 2 weeks to make:
img0172al8.jpg

damn my hardwood floor needs to be re-sanded and dyed haha

Dude, what went through your Dreamcast?
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Dude, what went through your Dreamcast?

boredom, a pencil and my fingers. i guess i gave it the "haze" effect.
img0387ve6.jpg

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I really want is a dreamcast...

My brother had one, it's not that great. (Especially compared to the games/consoles out now)

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by organicabstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll take that as a compliment haha. it's not even my sanwa stick actually, i still need to pay for it.

a very old DIY project. from start to finish, waiting for parts to arrive etc, it took 2 weeks to make:
img0172al8.jpg

damn my hardwood floor needs to be re-sanded and dyed haha

uuughhhh...i jusrt splooged everywhere..although what is up with the 8 buttons? i thought there were only 6?

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #42 of 54
i don't know why i put 8 buttons there.
the top row of four buttons are used for snk fighting games, since the original japanese layout has 4 buttons also.

both sticks are custom made by the way...
there are no model numbers/versions whatever haha

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My brother had one, it's not that great. (Especially compared to the games/consoles out now)

I'll disagree with you.
It's an amazing console with wonderfull games, and you can just download a game from the net and it will work, no need for a chip or anything.
Of course the graphics is nothing compared to the current consoles, but the games themselves are super fun in my opinion.
I got my second one for 40$, just as a backup. I have 5 cd boxes full os games.

Guys, if you have a chance, get a cheap Dreamcast.
You can't reallt beat that fot the price.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #44 of 54
the dreamcast had A LOT of great games.

virtua tennis, jet set radio & shenmue were my favorites.

we still play marvel vs capcom 2 (the most accurate arcade to console conversion is the dreamcast version. no not the ps2 or xbox versions, the dreamcast version.) & capcom vs snk 2 millionaire fighting 2001 on the dreamcast pretty often..

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #45 of 54
Tennis 2K2, Grandia 2, Crazy Taxi 1+2, Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge, Heavy Metal - Geomatrix , The House of the Dead 2(with a gun, it was funny), Hydro Thunder, Jet Grind Radio, Looney Tunes - Space Race, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, NBA 2K2, Power Stone 1+2, Razor Freestyle Scooter,Re-Volt, Rez, Sonic Adventure 1+2,Soul Calibur, South Park Rally, Space Channel 5+part 2, Sports Jam, Star Wars: Episode I Racer, all the Street Fighters, Super Magnetic Neo, Test Drive Le Mans, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, etc etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back