Just bought a PS2 and here's why
Nov 30, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahem...Shadow of the Colossus!!!

Plus an incredible backlog of AAA titles to play for CHEAP.

Shadow of the Colossus was one of the coolest gameplay experiences I've ever had. It's like NOTHING else on the market.

I highly reccomend playing it through with a buddy. Somehow that's even more fun.

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 54
my playstation 2 only gets used for:

img0384op7.jpg

i'll soon mod my ps2, hook it up to the sound system JUST to play some beatmania iidx 11 red with some legit controllers.

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's all the reason you need to justify a PS2 purchase.

rez-1.jpg

Tell us, is that Zoe, because I don't have that game. Zoe: are those cell shaded graphics? I got the ps2 last summer for $129. I don't see why sony hasnt officially drop it to $99. I've beat Shadow of Colossus (throughout the whole game I didnt want it to end), but have not tried ICO, maybe time for ebay.

Nov 30, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #19 of 54
That game is Rez. And yeah, I wish more studios would make games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Those were two of the most introspective and melancholic games I've ever played, especially SotC. Some very unexpected undertones in that one.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a Best Games section, but after seeing some great titles mentioned, I can't resist adding more. I'll stick with PS2-only games:

Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X and XII, God of War, Katamari Damacy, Parappa the Rapper 2, Soul Calibur 3.

There are so many more cross-platform games, though.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Here's all the reason you need to justify a PS2 purchase.

rez-1.jpg

REZ!!!!!! God I love that game! I've even played it with the trance vibrator. It does add some *oomph to the gameplay from all the bass notes.

But I am sadded that Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 2 is not in your list.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 54
I only had room for three, so I picked out three PS2 only games that changed by life. Guitar hero and guitar hero 2 are ultimately worthless games, that's why they are not on my lists. They would probably be near the bottom.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #23 of 54
Anyone who has a PS2 owes it to themselves to pick up a copy of Okami, which is easily one of the best games of all time. Seriously.

I have an old version PS2 that is modded with a flip-top, and I also have a copy of Swap Magic. I also have a bootloader (Cogswaploader) installed on the PS2's memory card. It is activated by a specific PS1 game, and functions in a manner similar to swap magic.

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um. That's all video games.

I agree, to the extent that music, books, sports, and all forms of art are also ultimately worthless.

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by organicabstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my playstation 2 only gets used for:

img0384op7.jpg

i'll soon mod my ps2, hook it up to the sound system JUST to play some beatmania iidx 11 red with some legit controllers.

That's HARDCORE. Too bad PS2 doesn't have online battles for SFII, I'd take you on! No one can defeat my Chun Li Triangle of Death move!

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

That's HARDCORE

i'll take that as a compliment haha. it's not even my sanwa stick actually, i still need to pay for it.

a very old DIY project. from start to finish, waiting for parts to arrive etc, it took 2 weeks to make:
img0172al8.jpg

damn my hardwood floor needs to be re-sanded and dyed haha

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

I agree, to the extent that music, books, sports, and all forms of art are also ultimately worthless.

Absolutely not. Music, art, poetry, books, and film can all teach us something about humanity and the broad range of human emotions and experiences.

Video games and sports are sheerly about mindless entertainment. (I am guilty of engaging ALOT of my time in both.)

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely not. Music, art, poetry, books, and film can all teach us something about humanity and the broad range of human emotions and experiences.

Video games and sports are sheerly about mindless entertainment. (I am guilty of engaging ALOT of my time in both.)

I can't think of any basis anyone would have for such an opinion. Perhaps you aren't playing the right games, or you somehow have missed all the mindless books, music and movies teeming from everywhere. It doesn't make sense to make such a division along media lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back